News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mat Poade

Tenby Golf Club
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »
I'm off to Tenby in a few weeks for a family holiday. I've got the OK to sneak off early one morning for a round and can't wait  ;D It's always been a course i've wanted to play as many a time I've been camping and had to walk through the course to get to the beach.

I was doing a bit of research and came across this.
http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/bigga/gki/article/1997jan24.pdf

So 17 years ago they were planning 3 new holes to replace the ones across the railway. Does anyone know what happened? I thought originally 3 holes were lost to the MOD at the far end of the course, but seems it was erosion?

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Tenby Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 04:40:44 PM »
I spent a week in Tenby with my famiily a couple of years ago and was allowed to sneak off early every morning! It;s a cracking course but I have to say that one round isn't really enough; the routing gets a little confusing in places and only after a few plays was I confident that I was driving towards the correct fairway on a couple of holes!

I was told by members that a couple of holes were lost for H&S reasons due to a busy footpath through the course from a caravan site to the beach. The three 'bastard' holes over the railway really are pretty awful in comparison to the rest of the course and it is a mystery to me why the club doesn't use that area for a practioce ground instead and reinstate a couple of holes that used to run behind the clubhouse on genuine linksland that is now used as a practice area.

The feeling I got from members however, is that they are actually quite proud of their 'parkland' holes.

Enjoy yourself. Tenby is a lovely place to spend a holiday.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 02:22:03 AM »
There are 8 of us playing here on Saturday (see Wandering in Wales thread).

Nice find Mat and a shame they didn't act on it.   Google earth shows a lovely promintory just beyond the existing 18 holes.

This wil be my first viist and already fixed in my mind is the idea of 15 links holes and...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mat Poade

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 03:47:23 AM »
I'd love to get out there more than once. Maybe next time...

Yes everyone always thinks of Tenby as 15 good links holes and then the other 3, coming so late in the round I imagine it has affected quite a few lasting impressions of the course.

It must have been a cost thing, but its such a shame those 3 new holes weren't created, perhaps its still on the cards..............

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 04:26:50 AM »
Are the 15th, 16th and 17th really that poor as golf holes? Um? They are different in character to the rest of the course but the 15th has always seemed an okay hole and with the elevation changes and wacky contoured greens I suspect the 16th and 17th would be seen as 'quirky', and dare I say it, maybe even praised if they were sited on a UK inland course. Maybe it's sharing the path over the bridge/railway line with the bucket-n-spade gang that's off-putting? As Matt suggests, coming so late in the round there is the last impression effect. In saying that, it would be nice if all the holes were between the beach and the railway line.
atb

Greg Taylor

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:35:11 AM »
I think 15, 16 and 17 are more of "out of character" and "away from rest of the course" issue than bad holes per se.

Plus if I re-call the turf is slightly different for some reason.

I do re-call one of the holes, the furtherest from the club house, where the tee shot is over the cliffs and scrub to a fairway which is 10 yards wide, so it's a roller coaster ride.

All up you'll enjoy the course however... worth sneaking off for!

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:39:47 AM »
Color me a sucker for a pretty view but I liked the 17th.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back