News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

St Andrews Golden Jubilee - US Version - 1938
« on: March 14, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »
    As a run-up to the fiftieth anniversary of St. Andrews GC one of the local newspapers, The Herald Statesman, Yonkers NY, ran a series of five articles  about the club. Their main source for the material came from one Mr. Alexander B. Halliday, a club member and author of a soon-to-be-published 50 year history of St. Andrews.
    The festivities that accompanied the anniversary included a tournament on Oct 15th prefaced by a banquet on the 14th that was held at (where else  ;) ) the Waldorf Astoria. This fete was attended by 400 members and luminaries, such as: Henry O. Tallmadge, one of the two remaining survivors of the old "Apple Tree Gang" that founded the St. Andrew's club; Robert Tyre Jones of Atlanta, Ga., former national golf champion; Archie M. Reid, Mr. Ramsay, Charles M. Schwab, Alexander B. Halliday, and John D. Black, president of the Chicago Golf Club.
    It must have been quite an evening as it even included a couple of songs,  "The Hills of Old St. Andrews" / words by Archibald Douglas ; music by Wm. J. Dawson - and "Keep Your Eye On The Ball" / words by Grantland Rice ; music by J. Rowland Mix, but I found no mention of the warbler.  
The Hesburgh Library at Notre Dame has a copy of the book, which includes the seating chart for the banquet.

A bit about the Tourney, the 5 articles to follow.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:23:11 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim_Kennedy

Re: St Andrews Golden Jubilee - US Version - 1938
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »
The articles:

Willie Park icing his gutties- who'd have thunk it.  :o

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 05:38:58 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:52:12 PM »
Archie Reid looks a lot like Gary Cooper playing Lou Gehrig!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:01:54 PM »
Jim:

Their 100th anniversary in 1988 was quite a deal too.  GOLF Magazine took it upon themselves to promote it as the 100th anniversary of golf in America.  There was an anniversary book [which I wrote a chapter for], a selection of the 100 heroes of American golf, and a pro-am including as many of those heroes as could still play on the newly-redesigned course, followed by a black-tie dinner at the Waldorf Astoria.

It was a pretty amazing gathering of people.  I went out to walk a few holes with Pete Dye and his group, playing in a group behind Arnold Palmer.  Everyone from Sam Snead to Seve Ballesteros to Patty Berg played in it.  Ben Hogan didn't play, but he attended the function and the dinner afterward.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »
Tom,
I'll bet it was.
I wonder if anyone who attended the Golden Jubilee in '38 made it to the '88 centennial?

Bill,
He'd also fit right in at Monarch Of The Glen.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:52:22 AM by Jim_Kennedy »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back