News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Quirky Clubhouses ?
« on: March 09, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
We often hear about quirky courses but how about quirky clubhouses ? Lloyd Cole's recent thread regarding golf in East Lothian and a suggestion from Jon W of Kilspindie reminded of what a joyful experience Kilspindie is. Part of that is undoubtedly the clubhouse that likely hasn't been upgraded in very many decades. Where else do you go into the snug bar, order a beer and sit down, only to be politely asked to move to one side so someone can get in their locker ?

Its a marvellous basic clubhouse that reminds you what a simple game golf is, or should be. It's also perfectly in keeping with its course IMHO. Any other candidates out there ?

Niall

Jim McCann

Re: Quirky Clubhouses ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
Royal West Norfolk, which also has a number of lockers in a corner of its very informal lounge.

In Scotland:

Shiskine's clubhouse is a quaint olde worlde tearoom (like several of the clubhouses on the Isle of Arran),
Spey Bay's clubhouse (recently modernized) is shared with the local caravan park and used by lots of non golfers,
Luffness New's wee snug really is as cosy a spike bar as you could ever imagine,
Dunbar's old clubhouse appears a bit run down but it's really homely, nonetheless.

Several of the newer "corporate" clubhouses in Scotland don't quite cut it with me but they're few and far between, thankfully...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:43:15 AM by Jim McCann »

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
Two in the US come to mind.
1. The Bridge, it looks odd from the outside. It is very modern, and all the courses in the area have the typical "Hamptons" Cedar Sided clubhouses. I have been told (not sure) that it is shaped like a part for a car engine. When you get inside, it is phenomenal. The lockers, showers, décor etc. are amazing.
2. Newport. This is a beautiful club house on the high point of the property. The quirky part is that there is really nothing in it. The huge main room is completely empty.  Seems a bit like a Hollywood movie set.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:06:58 PM »
Is tacky quirky?  ;)

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back