News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Carey

Smyers to "rebuild" Fort Myers Golf and Yacht Club
« on: March 05, 2014, 05:34:19 PM »
What do you think?  I know Steve is a huge fan of Seminole.  I don't know if there is enough of Ross left to do anything but a rebuild.  Anyone familiar with the place?  

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Steve-Smyers-to-rebuild-historic-Donald-Ross-course-in-southern-Florida/3056/Default.aspx#.UxejW5K9KSN

Florida-based architect Steve Smyers will break ground in April on a total rebuild of Donald Ross’ 1917 course at the Fort Myers Country Club in the southwest of the state.

“The focus of the project is to design a new golf course – this isn’t a restoration or renovation – as if Ross were approaching the site today, mindful of modern playing equipment, maintenance equipment and practices, turf grasses and environmental concerns,” Smyers told GCA. Ross’ original Fort Myers course was roughly 6,300 yards long, while the new Smyers-designed course will be 7,000 yards, playing to a par of 70, with five par threes and three par fives.

“The goal is to satisfy the current customer base, but also make FMCC more attractive and challenging to younger, more accomplished golfers,” said Smyers. “The new FMCC is being designed to be the area’s ‘go to’ site for various USGA qualifying events, as well as to accommodate state and regional amateur events. As it has done since 1963, FMCC will continue to be the home to the annual Coors Light Open, site of two-time US Open Champion Lee Janzen’s first professional victory.”

Construction of the new course will start in April. The US$6-million project will be completed and the course reopened for play in October. It will remain a semi-private facility. “We are working closely with USGA Green Section agronomists to build a course that demonstrates the highest standards of environmental stewardship,” said Smyers. “Long-term water demands are being minimised through the use of native upland grasses and the induction of indigenous wetland vegetation.”
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:45:01 PM by Paul Carey »

BCowan

Re: Smyers to "rebuild" Fort Myers Golf and Yacht Club
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 05:49:21 PM »
It is a great place, the land is flat but it is right off the main drag.  I am pretty sure they renovated it about 20 years ago.  It would be really great to see it at 7,000 yards, they really tear it up for the annual tourney.  I doubt he will add more water.  Like Ocala Golf Club a great muni they renovated 5 years ago and it was in great shape, then it declined some.  I see the same thing with this renovation, but i think it is cool judging my Smyers other work through photos.  It would be great if it could be privately managed or owned.  It has 3 small ponds and a creek/river running through it.  Wow, it can be done in Florida.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:57:57 PM »
I saw this article on Adam Lawrence's Golf Architecture website and studied the layout.   It's a great classic Ross layout, uses the "drainage ditch" to absolute maximum effect on hole after hole.    The tees are so close to the previous greens that it almost looks scary, like a couple of tees at Mid Pines. 

My comment on Adam's website - no idea how you could add 700 yards to that tight layout, and tearing it up vs renovation / restoration would be a tragedy. 

BCowan

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:40:38 PM »
The area behind 7 green i think has a bunch of orange trees, which is really cool.  I trust Smyers to do a great job.  It is pretty compacted and they don't have any good public courses around there that I can think of.  The C-house looks like they renovated it a touch, the C-house i remember looked like a smaller scale Pinehurst.  Bill, they are doing the right thing, 6 million seems really high though and to see it decline after would be sad IMO.  It is funny how nobody has played this course, nothing to see here, just get back to praising Trump for picking Hanse and all the ''Retail'' golf courses!  Thanks for posting Paul!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »
The area behind 7 green i think has a bunch of orange trees, which is really cool.  I trust Smyers to do a great job.  It is pretty compacted and they don't have any good public courses around there that I can think of.  The C-house looks like they renovated it a touch, the C-house i remember looked like a smaller scale Pinehurst.  Bill, they are doing the right thing, 6 million seems really high though and to see it decline after would be sad IMO.  It is funny how nobody has played this course, nothing to see here, just get back to praising Trump for picking Hanse and all the ''Retail'' golf courses!  Thanks for posting Paul!

Why do you think they are doing "the right thing" vs. restoring this Ross classic?

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 10:29:20 PM »
Bill

''as if Ross were approaching the site today'' is the strategy in which he claims to be using.  In just my opinion the original isn't world class Ross.  His idea of a renovation isn't probably the same idea as most archies.  The bunkers need more definition and look as though they have shallowed, course is too short for younger generation, the course is still going to be tightly routed i bet.  I think any Ross course is in good hands with Prichard or Smyers, don't you?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »
Bill

''as if Ross were approaching the site today'' is the strategy in which he claims to be using.  In just my opinion the original isn't world class Ross.  His idea of a renovation isn't probably the same idea as most archies.  The bunkers need more definition and look as though they have shallowed, course is too short for younger generation, the course is still going to be tightly routed i bet.  I think any Ross course is in good hands with Prichard or Smyers, don't you?

No, not in the slightest if they are talking "new golf course" instead of a restoration of what's there.  In such a restoration the bunkers would be restored to the original.   Why not keep the original routing and make it look like an original Ross?   If I hear what they seem to be saying, the property will be completely re routed.   We are in danger of losing yet another Ross original.  Not good. 

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »
Why even bring Ross into the discussion if it is a total rebuild? I know nothing of the course and make no comment about whether this is a good move or not.
But to say you are designing a new course as if Ross were approaching the site today...???
What the heck does that mean?

BCowan

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 10:46:52 PM »
So if he changes 4 holes that are not that great, and replicates an existing green in another location that is the end of the world?  It isn't like Fazio destroying Inverness and building holes that don't fit into the existing architecture.  Plus the article didn't say he was doing a total re-routing, did it?  Don, the ball has made a lot of his courses obsolete and overlooked.  If anyone other than Smyers or Prichard was doing the work I would be uneasy.  It is just going to be sad to see $6 million spent and a most likely a great finished product be maint. by a local gov't and go downhill.  Ross renovated many courses himself, he made 9 hole courses into famous 18 hole courses.   

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 12:03:15 AM »
Smyers rebuilt the Gary  Player Aerie course at TwinEagles in Naples a couple years ago and did a bang up job of evoking a golden age ethos.  If he does as well at FMCC it'll be great.  As for losing the Ross course, is it one of his courses that is worth restoring?  I've never played it.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 08:56:46 AM »
BCowan

Please define obsolete.
Those are the only two who can renovate or improve a golf course?
What would be sad is if the renovation didn't consider the future maintenance.

Bryan
Dropping a bomb on the Aerie course would have made a huge improvement.

Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »
Mike

It is unfortunate but many people overlook courses that are only 6300 from the tips.  The course is a little too pitch and put with the modern tech, but still has great charm and some good arch.  No those aren't the only two, I apologize for you could prob do a heck of a job.  The two i mentioned have been able to retain Ross traits in their prior restorations.  Yes, they should consider maint costs and what is most important to focus on.  Some muni's go with large companies to maint their course (one's that manage 70 courses) and I feel as though that is a mistake.  Would you leave the routing as is Mike?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/27019067/fort-myers-country-club-ready-for-season#.VE6cl5PF9ng

Fairly thin story, but it reopens Friday.

Odd that "new types of grass" was mentioned but no info as to the types of grass themselves.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Josh Bills

Chris DeToro

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »
Wow, this was done pretty quickly.  I played here in January and enjoyed the golf course, but did feel that it needed some work.  There were elements of Ross in the greens but it felt like it needed some attention. 

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
I believe Fort Myers has reopened. Has anyone played it? Thoughts? Pictures? I am hoping to play it in December...
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back