News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Hualalai-Big Island
« on: March 04, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »

Any comments on th experience would be appreciated.

Bob

Joel_Stewart

Re: Hualalai-Big Island
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
Bob, it's widely regarded as one of the best resorts in the world.  I assume you are talking about the Four Seasons hotel?  It's the only 5 star resort on the Big Island.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Would love to hear more, too; it looks incredible.  Tried to find a house there in August for 10 people but waited a little long and couldn't find the right place.  Curious if it's worth it to try to play golf there.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »
Bob,
Hualalai, is well worth bringing your clubs. As noted the resort is very, very good.  You should also try to arrange Nanea across the street, it is a treat (Kidd).  The courses at Mauna Lani are good fun, well conditioned.  Waikoloa is ok, suffers from very shaky conditioning. 
Enjoy, the weather will be great.

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 01:47:18 AM »
One of the best resorts I have ever stayed in. It has been a long time ago, but the conditioning and staff were all first class. They let me walk and every third hole they sent water out. The place is worth it just to see the stars at night.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 06:15:23 AM »
Bob:

I certainly hope that you get to return to Mauna Kea as part of this trip.  The hotel remodel is lovely and the place still maintains a true Hawaiian vibe. 

The course remodel was nicely done without changing the character or routing of the course.

I agree that Nanea is worth a look if you get the chance.  Have the cheeseburger and enjoy the view after the round....long views from up on the hillside.  (Don't get disappointed but Nanea is not on the water).

Bart

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 11:03:49 AM »
Bart-
Glad to hear that about Mauna Kea.  We ended up getting a house there when we couldn't find the right one at Hualalai.  How would you rank the Big Island courses right now? 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
Here is a link to Hawaii golf I did a few years ago.  A lot of Big Island courses on the list.   Hualalai is a great resort. Maybe the best on the is
And.  I did not play the private course but I detested the Nicklaus course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

William_G

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 07:22:24 PM »
a fantastic family hotel especially for very young ones!
the outdoor showers walled with lava are awesome (1st floor only)
golf is ok at the Nicklaus, amazing construction through a lava field, similar at Weiskopf
beach is non-existent due to lava
amazing spot for photos of turtles sunbathing
nice cultural program
have not been in a few years as my kids out grew it
loved it
It's all about the golf!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 12:03:41 AM »
Bob, if you go, please report back on anything you hear regarding the Kona Village (unfortunately NLE) next door.  That was our favorite place on the Islands and it has been closed since the tsunami.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back