News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steven Blake

Mt. Rushmore of GCA
« on: March 04, 2014, 02:35:38 PM »
Lately on the sports networks they have debates on who should be on the Mt. Rushmore of ___________

So I ask this, who should be on the Mt. Rushmore of golf course architecture and why?

For those who are not familiar there are 4 presidents faces on Mt. Rushmore. They are Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt.  That being said, you must pick 4 architects who you feel best belong on the monument and why.  I will start…

1.) CB Macdonald- Brought the concepts of great holes overseas to America and built some the first great courses in the states.  Also had a great influence on Raynor and Banks.  People today still build redan holes and other features that he utilized over 100 years ago. The book Scotland’s Gift to Golf is a bible of sorts.  Best work: NGLA and Chicago

2.) Alister Mackenzie- Influential not only in America but has significant works in South America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.  13 principles of golf design still ring true today.  Spirit of St. Andrews and Golf Architecture are must reads for any golf architecture fanatic.  Where would golf or Australian golf be today if he had not existed?   Best work: Cypress Point and Royal Melbourne

3.) Pete Dye- Probably my first controversial pick but here is why he belongs, without him the rebirth of golf course architecture as we know it may not have been possible.  Although at times his work is controversial it is none the less compelling and has brought back the discussion of what makes a good golf course. Has been known to shape holes and draw plans in the sand on sight as opposed to fancy drawings that ignore the 3-dimensional world that is a the reality of golf design. Influenced a great many people like Tom Doak, Jim Urbina, Bill Coore just to name a few. Where would golf be today without Pete Dye? Best work: Casa de Campo and Kiawah Island.

4.) Tom Doak- Body of work stands for itself.  His company, Renaissance Golf has picked up the ball from Pete Dye and run with it in a direction that pays homage to the game.  His courses look natural as if nothing was done to create it, which ultimately is a great testament to his companies ability to make golf fun, exciting and natural.  Confidential Guide and Anatomy of a Golf Course are great primers for all level of golf architecture junkies.  Best work: Pacific Dunes and Cape Kidnappers

Honorable Mention: Colt, Ross, Tillinghast and Coore

Very difficult with so many greats to choose from but those are the 4 on my Mt Rushmore of Golf Course Architecture.  Who is on yours? 

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Mt. Rushmore of GCA
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:37:25 PM »
I'd round out your first 2 picks with Ross and Old Tom.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jason Thurman

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »
Donald Trump, Tom Fazio, Gil Hanse, and Martin Hawtree.

Because only Trump would have and spend the money for something so ridiculous, and those architects are all guys that he likes.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:55:37 PM »
Old Tom
CBM
Mackenzie
Ross
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
Forgive me, but instead of faces on this Mt. Rushmore I see objects - a walking stick, a flask, a calculator, and a baseball cap.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 02:59:49 PM by PPallotta »

Joey Chase

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
Lately on the sports networks they have debates on who should be on the Mt. Rushmore of ___________

So I ask this, who should be on the Mt. Rushmore of golf course architecture and why?

Steve,

Shouldn't the question be who is on "YOUR" Mt. Rushmore and why? 

On mine;

CBM/Raynor:  MacDonald brought epic golf to the U.S. and Raynor made it happen, so they have to go together.  I love NGLA and Yale.

Ross:  Has to be on any list.  His tartan is the one used by the ASGCA, enough said. I love No. 2 and Plainfield. Plus he comes from Dornoch!!!  Amazing place.

Mackenzie:  The first real architect/artist. I love Alwoodley and Crystal Downs

Colt:  What a great variety of work, all of his work seems so rugged and tough. I love Portrush and Swinley Forest.

It is so hard not to put Tilly on the mountain, love every course I have ever played by him.  I cannot get enough.

I had to add an edit as well...

To leave off RTJ was tough as well, to say his influence is minute is disingenuous.  Look at the body of work and tell me otherwise.  He has cast a large shadow on the game and is the biggest celebrity in GCA, maybe not GCA.com?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:59:35 PM by Joey Chase »

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »
MacDonald
MacKenzie
Ross
& Dye
H.P.S.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 04:38:09 PM »
My picks would be:

William Otis
John Froelich
Robert Gilmour LeTourneau
J. Earl McLeod

;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:19:48 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Nigel Islam

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »
Donald Trump, Tom Fazio, Gil Hanse, and Martin Hawtree.

Because only Trump would have and spend the money for something so ridiculous, and those architects are all guys that he likes.

And I think you would have to surround the mountain with a lake so it mimics a cape hole ;)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »
Old Tom
CBM
Mackenzie
Ross Tillinghast-Did more with less, IMHO

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 05:19:36 PM »
James Tufts
Samuel Morse
Mike Keiser
CB Macdonald

Without the owner/developer, the architect is nothing.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
OTM (Washington)- shoulders to stand on
COLT (Jefferson) - founder of architecture as we understand it today
ROSS (Lincoln) - saviour of the game
DYE (Roosevelt) - big stick

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »
George Washington/Old Tom
Thomas Jefferson/John Lowe
Abraham Lincoln/CBM
Theodore Roosevelt/Pete Dye

Tom Doak is too new to be on Rushmore. However, there is another mountain nearby that has Crazy Horse on it. We'll put Tom there.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steven Blake

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 07:07:34 PM »
Joey,

Perhaps your right who is on "your" Mt Rushmore of GCA's.

I just haven't played enough Tillianghast ... those who have would probably have him on the list.

Steve Blake

Neil Regan

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
My picks would be:

William Otis
John Froelich
J. Earl McLeod

;)

Ian,

You sure are covering a lot of ground with these picks.

Is there a golf course anywhere untouched by these guys ?

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

V. Kmetz

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
I totally misunderstood this question.

I was going to say:

Ran, Mucci, Moriarty...and me

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 08:39:21 PM »
No room for a little Flynn ?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »
My picks would be:

William Otis
John Froelich
J. Earl McLeod

;)

Ian,

You sure are covering a lot of ground with these picks.

Is there a golf course anywhere untouched by these guys ?

These are the jokes, folks.

Ian, maybe leave at least one bust for an operator / buyer? Wendell Miller perhaps?

My structure would be similar to Arble's but my interpretation differs on a few:

Washington -> set the standard and the tone, father of his country, bestrode his field like a colossus -> OTM
Jefferson -> did some codification but spent most of career effectively setting the "North Star" guiding those who came after -> either CB Macdonald or Colt
Lincoln -> inclusive, brought "it" to the people -> Tufts? Should be a pioneering developer of publicly accessible courses here.
Roosevelt -> modernizer, transformed the Presidency -> gotta be Mackenzie
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Steven Blake

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 09:11:23 PM »
I am suprised no one has said Flynn knowing he has a lot of love on this site and his body of work is strong.

Mark,

Interesting take comparing the presidents legacy with architects who reflect similar legacies on the game of golf.

Steve Blake

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »
I am suprised no one has said Flynn knowing he has a lot of love on this site and his body of work is strong.

Mark,

Interesting take comparing the presidents legacy with architects who reflect similar legacies on the game of golf.

Steve Blake
[/quote

Ahhhh. Look above, you cannot have a Mt. Rushmore without  Flynn
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Alex Miller

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »

Steve,

Shouldn't the question be who is on "YOUR" Mt. Rushmore and why? 

On mine;

CBM/Raynor:  MacDonald brought epic golf to the U.S. and Raynor made it happen, so they have to go together.  I love NGLA and Yale.

Ross:  Has to be on any list.  His tartan is the one used by the ASGCA, enough said. I love No. 2 and Plainfield. Plus he comes from Dornoch!!!  Amazing place.

Mackenzie:  The first real architect/artist. I love Alwoodley and Crystal Downs

Colt:  What a great variety of work, all of his work seems so rugged and tough. I love Portrush and Swinley Forest.

It is so hard not to put Tilly on the mountain, love every course I have ever played by him.  I cannot get enough.

I had to add an edit as well...

To leave off RTJ was tough as well, to say his influence is minute is disingenuous.  Look at the body of work and tell me otherwise.  He has cast a large shadow on the game and is the biggest celebrity in GCA, maybe not GCA.com?

I like your list but would go with Old Tom Morris over Ross.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 01:58:06 AM »
Bailey

I chose Ross as Lincoln because he brought golf to everybody, private (from modest to posh), resort and public.  He had all sorts of clients and his courses have remained the (along with Colt) the most influential of all archies.  Thats my story.  Guys like CBM and Dr Mac didn't crank out enough work to really be Lincoln.  Too one sided in their approach - not enough earthy stories  :D

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Hendren

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 10:44:29 AM »

Mark,

Steve Blake

Sorry, I can help but think of Casey at the Bat when Blake comments on Flynn.

But Flynn preceded Casey, as did also Jimmy Blake,
And the former was a pudding and the latter was a fake;
So upon that stricken multitude grim melancholy sat,
For there seemed but little chance of Casey's getting to the bat.

But Flynn let drive a single, to the wonderment of all,
And Blake, the much despis-ed, tore the cover off the ball;
And when the dust had lifted, and the men saw what had occurred,
There was Jimmy safe at second and Flynn a-hugging third.

Even better, one version has Flynn as a lulu rather than a pudding.

Bogey

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Adam Warren

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
So Mt. Rushmore is an American thing.  Not to go against those from outside of the US here, but do you discriminate it just to where you live?  What I am saying is, do we exclude a guy like OTM if you live in the US because his body of work is not here?  A lot of guys work all over the globe now, but obviously guys like Doak and C&C do the majority of their work in the US.  Should it be based on the majority of someone's work.  Can we judge Doak for this purpose if you are from the US based on the work he did at Cape Kidnappers?  Just some questions to toss out to perhaps provide some more varied answers.

Steven Blake

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »
Adam,

No real rules here just pick 4 and they can be from outside of the US and all work done outside the US is allowed IMHO.

Steve Blake

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back