News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Powers

Ireland
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:12:44 PM »
A buddy of mine won an all expense paid trip to Ireland and we are heading there in September.  Below is where we are slated to play, however we are looking for a place to play on the first day, somewhere south of Shannon airport not too far from Killarney which is where we will be staying the first few nights.  Also, not sure if we should find an alternative to Ring of Kerry.  Any help, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Day 1:  Somewhere between Shannon and Killarney or on the way
Day 2:  Dooks
Day 3: Killarney Killeen Course
Day 4: Ring of Kerry
Day 5 - 7:  Waterville
HP

Keith Grande

Re: Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »
Michael,

Since you're coming in from Shannon,  and heading down to Killarney, you MUST play Ballybunnion.  It's on the way down from Shannon.  Also, Tralee is just north of Killarney, you should try to fit that in as well.  In fact, I'd throw out Ring Of Kerry and add Tralee. 

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »
Definitely Ballybunion!! It's not quite on the way to Killarney but the detour isn't much out of the way. Also wouldn't totally rule out Lahinch, even though it's in the opposite direction from Killarney then Shannon but it's well worth it. Another option might be Adare but not quite the links experience that you might want.

Also would definitely throw out Ring of Kerry, Tralee would be your best option that day as Keith has mentioned.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Shane Wright

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »
Michael, I made some adjustments to your itinerary below.  Ballybunion and Tralee should be requirements.  If possible you should try to hit Lahinch before your departing flight out of Shannon.  It is not far from Shannon and is in the top 3 or 4 courses in Ireland. 

Here is what I would propose:

Day 1  - Tralee
Day 2 - Ballybunion
Day 3 - Dooks
Day 4 - Cork Golf Club
Day 5-7 - Waterville
Lahinch on the way out of town

You have listed Killarney Killeen below which isn't a bad option as well.

Have a great trip! 

Shane

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 08:03:53 PM »
Go to Lahinch, see Cliffs of  Moher, Dooks, Tralee, Waterville and Ballybunion.  If you have more time play any of these 2x.

Bart

Jon Nolan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 09:28:53 PM »
I'd skip the Ring of Kerry.  Not because it isn't worthwhile, it's magnificent, but you're on the tip of it at Waterville anyway.  You'll end up seeing it twice and losing a day of golf in the meantime.

Lahinch over Ballybunnion and/or Tralee for me even if it's the wrong direction.  Landing at Shannon, collecting a car, driving up to Lahinch, playing a round, taking in the Cliffs for an hour and making it to Killarney in time for dinner is very, very doable. 

Will Lozier

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:30:17 PM »
Lahinch over Ballybunnion and/or Tralee for me even if it's the wrong direction.  Landing at Shannon, collecting a car, driving up to Lahinch, playing a round, taking in the Cliffs for an hour and making it to Killarney in time for dinner is very, very doable. 

Ditto!

Jim Hoak

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 11:06:11 PM »
Agree with all of this.  Enjoy Dooks--the most surprising course I ever played.  Great, old course.  Little course, but really enjoyable.  I have been to Ireland often, but I'd never heard of it, when I stumbled across it and loved it.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 01:10:14 AM »
Agree with all of this.  Enjoy Dooks--the most surprising course I ever played.  Great, old course.  Little course, but really enjoyable.  I have been to Ireland often, but I'd never heard of it, when I stumbled across it and loved it.

Jim,

I agree. Dooks is among the most wonderful places in golf.
Tim Weiman

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 02:01:29 AM »
I'd skip the Ring of Kerry.  Not because it isn't worthwhile, it's magnificent, but you're on the tip of it at Waterville anyway.  You'll end up seeing it twice and losing a day of golf in the meantime.

http://www.ringofkerrygolf.com/

I've heard nice things about it, but it's not  a links.

Other options include Dingle GC. 

if cost is a factor play Dooks twice.   Enjoy.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Powers

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:32:39 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Your comments, cut and pasted into an email should be all I need to nix Ring of Kerry and convince the others of a suitable links for the first day. 
HP

mike_malone

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »
If Ballybunion Dooks or Tralee don't work then investigate Castlegregory on the Dingle Peninsula
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back