News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Land Near Doonbeg?
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
I was reading the Trump article yesterday in GolfWorld and it made mention of further development at Doonbeg.  Did I read that correctly?  Has anyone walked this land?

Joel_Stewart

Re: Land Near Doonbeg?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 10:52:45 AM »
I wondered the same thing.  I looked at Google Earth and it appears there is quite a bit of land around the property that is farm land or just vacant.

Even if they purchased property that is a short drive and developed a second course, it seems it becomes a better option then with just one course?

Declan Kavanagh

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 11:34:17 AM »
Doonbeg is definitely a bit out of the way and tougher to get to than some.  Would be very interesting to see an additional course there IMHO.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »
But do they need another course?  I was there this past summer and it wasn't terribly busy, and it isn't too much of a drive to Lahinch. Certainly there is lots of land in the area so that wouldn't be an issue, unless there are other escargot that need protecting.

Paul Gray

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the land? Would it be of any significant quality for golf?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Bill Gayne

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »
Can someone post a quote or a link? "Further development" has all kinds of possible meanings.

Thanks

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 12:49:04 AM »
Is anyone familiar with the land? Would it be of any significant quality for golf?

Paul,

I am probably not the best person to ask and my Irish friends think I am a bit harsh in my assessment of Doonbeg. However, I never felt the property was all that great, even where the existing course was built. The advertising line that the British army felt Doonbeg was a better place to build a course than Lahinch was always silly, IMO. As for the surrounding land, it is pretty flat farm land.
Tim Weiman

John Percival

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 08:50:42 AM »
The land is table top flat, with a few ditches running about. There is limited coastal access and what coast is accessible has no dunes.
To build another course would realistically leave two options:
   a new course similar is style to TOC, with great subtle movement, or
   try to use a new course in conjunction with the existing course, creating two layouts that would weave from the flat areas to the dunes, sort of like Spyglass. Personally wouldn't like this option, but it could be done.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back