News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Alfonso Erhardt is posted
« on: February 26, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »
One marvels at the accomplishments of Alfonso Erhardt and his new book The Golf Courses of Javier Arana. Consider that this tome details the works (albeit, excellent) of an obscure golf course architect who only worked in a country where golf ranks well below bullfighting, soccer, and basketball et al. in popularity. Three years (!) of exhaustive research and writing is what it took to properly tell the story. Yet, publishing such a handsome book in a country where the economy is languid at best (The New York Times reported two weeks ago that the sacred siesta is even now under siege  :-X) is far from easy! No publisher would go out money to do it as the market is too small. So, Alfonso bit the bullet and paid for 2,000 books to be produced – 1500 in Spanish and the remainder in English. In view of the quality of Alfonso’s photos and writing, the editor shrewdly pushed for a high quality production and Alfonso found a publisher that specialized in high end art books.

What emerged was an opulent coffee table volume. Its 300 pages of discovery were greeted with praise when it debuted in early January. Not surprisingly,  Mark Rowlinson was all over it from the get-go and started this thread at the time:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57588.0.html

The aim of such a book is to enable the reader to gain an appreciation for both the man and his work. Alfonso succeeded wonderfully by personalizing this gentleman of whom so little was previously known. Arana was both a stylish player and a dapper gentleman – the photo of him on page 72 with his beret is a classic! Limber as can be, his swing stood up well over time and for a long while before the Spanish Civil War, he was Spain’s finest golfer. He also became the head official of the Spanish Golf Federation and became a natural choice when it came time to build golf courses. He toured the spectacular cliff site of Neguri with Harry Colt in the 1920s but the 1929 stock market crash meant that Arana didn’t get to build the course until … 1960! Born in 1905, Arana rubbed elbows with some of the Golden Age greats like Colt and later formed a (brief) partnership with Tom Simpson. Similar to Robert Trent Jones Sr., this is a guy whose roots were with the Golden Age architects but whose own work didn’t really materialize until after WWII.

El Saler is his most famous design and the course majestically embraces its Mediterranean setting. Just look at Alfonso’s El Saler photos – if they don’t make you itch to play golf, nothing will. It was likely the best site he ever had but Spain’s beautiful people and culture are matched by diverse environments that range from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean and that encompass both mountains (Pyrenees) and desert (Tabernas).  Arana, who built 10 courses, seemed to understand the challenges of all these ecosystems (he was a star with turf grass) and succeeded wherever he worked.

In terms of Arana’s golf design attributes, Alfonso writes, “Despite the very sparse bunkering, his golf courses have shown a very good resistance to scoring due to intelligent use of certain features: recurrence of dog-legs, long par 3s, fallaway and/or tiered greens and as Tom Doak highlighted after visiting Neguri, lack of visual references to aid better players in getting around.” Importantly, Alfonso also points out, ‘All of Arana’s courses are highly enjoyable by the average player, but through intelligent placement of design elements, they are challenging for better players without need for many of the more artificial hazards to add interest to his designs.’

If you enjoy searching for books on golf courses/architecture, you can vouch for the fact that something of this magnitude has never been done in Spain. Nothing even comes close and that makes The Golf Courses of Javier Arana ground breaking stuff. Arana has been done proud – and it’s about time that his contributions to golf across the 20thcentury are recognized. You can learn more and order the book atwww.javierarana.com. Meanwhile, a big time shout out is due Alfonso – few of us ever come close to accomplishing anything so substantive/enduring.

Be warned though: the real expense of this book is the realization that a trip to Spain is now mandatory  :D and much more rewarding from a golf perspective than most people realize.

Best,
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:51:39 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Feature Interview with Alfonso Erhardt is posted
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
I wasn’t going to buy any golf books for a while but then along came Alfie’s and then I was persuaded by the enthusiasm on here for this book.  It’s just arrived and it looks a beauty.
Congratulations Alfonso.

So one weekend next March who’s up for a jaunt to El Saler?

Leave Stanstead 18.20 Friday night. Return Sunday leaving 18.20.  Ryanair

Airport is 18km from Hotel.  Sat night in Valencia, Ole!

Can’t find how to book golf course direct but one site suggests “from 75 euro’s”.  Do they have winter rates or is that peak season?  Is it included in the room rate? The site is not clear on golf at all.
http://www.parador.es/es/paradores/parador-de-el-saler

Can stay in a twin room at the Parador for 221Euro each but as I’ve never been to Valencia I think the City would make for a more fun base. The Spanish stay open late so Friday is when the party starts.

I do believe there’s someone here who’s done a similar trip and has the Swag to prove it.  I nominate him to sort out the restaurants. ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:11:45 PM »
Thank you Ran for the very enthusiastic words and Tony for buying the book. I do hope you like it and it !!!

As Ran suggests, a trip to Northern Spain playing Pedreña (Colt), Neguri (Arana) and hopping over to Chiberta (Simpson) in France, while stopping over at San Sebastián for some food is as good as it gets.

If going to Valencia don't go to the parador, downtown is much more fun and better dining. Avoid the weekends around the 19th of March as it is a huge local holiday, the Fallas

Regards,

Alfonso

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
Don't go Ryanair if at all possible. Apart from anything else, the charges they levy for golf clubs would make a private jet look cheap. Depressingly, there might not be a better alternative.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 03:43:19 AM »
A very informative interview. I searched herein most of the Spanish courses mentioned, such as Neguri, plus Chiberta across the border, as I didn't know much about them so this interview has provided an additional educational aspect as well. Thank you Ran and Alfonso. El Saler certainly does look a 'bit nice', amazing that Bernhard Langer shot 62 in the Spanish Open around El Saler back in the days of persimmon and blades and balata. I've heard it described by other top level pro's as the best round ever played on the European Tour.
atb

Jim Eder

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »
Ran and Alfonso,

Thank you very much for the wonderful interview and all the great information, pictures and education. Thank you Alfonso for writing the book and for doing all you have done to allow all of us to have the opportunity and pleasure of learning about this gentleman and his designs.  I ordered the book and it shipped the same day. I can't wait to read it and learn more about this gentleman and his golf courses.  I wish I had known this information before my recent visit but will surely be informed for the next visit, that of which I look forward to greatly including that nice suggestion of a visit to Chiberta of which there is a very nice photo tour that can be found here:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41955.0.html

Thanks again guys for once again opening my eyes and educating me about another great architect and about that beautiful part of the world.

Jim

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back