News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Chambers Bay Book
« on: February 22, 2014, 08:27:11 PM »
Chambers Bay is publishing a coffee table book, which will be available in October. They have unabashedly used the website

http://americasstandrews.com/

Emile Bonfiglio

Re: Chambers Bay Book
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:34:53 AM »
What a stupid name for a book. What exactly does Chambers Bay have in common with St. Andrews?
- Natural century old contours?
- Significant role in history of the town?
- Iconic clubhouse/buildings?  (they will have one heck of merchandise tent next year though)

I think they have Kohler toilets and that is about where the connection between the two places end for me.

We''ve discussed this before but Bandon and Pinehurst have claim to this title before Chambers Bay does. The book should have been named "Chambers Bay, Home of the Kings Putter"

You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:03:57 AM »
What a stupid name for a book. What exactly does Chambers Bay have in common with St. Andrews?

Emile,

I thought this too. Talk about a crass bit of marketing.

Jon

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 07:36:15 AM »
I think Chambers Bay is a really neat  place, but the St. Andrews of America? Um, no.
H.P.S.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:48:05 AM »

Well, they did get permission, "St. Andrews is used in the title of this book with the permission of St. Andrews Links Trust, the charitable organization which manages the seven public golf courses in St. Andrews, Scotland. Creating golf’s future by honoring its past, St. Andrews Links Trust is dedicated to making the game available and open to all."

What characteristics would a course need to have to be considered a St. Andrews franchise, if the Trust allowed it?

Links golf
Walking golf
Hosts championships
Inexpensive to residents
By the sea

I guess Bandon could be considered also.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »
 Didn't they spend the same amount of money to build Chambers Bay as St .Andrews has generated in all the years it's been open? That's a connection, isn't it?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »

More than Astoria CC which has called itself the St. Andrews of the Pacific since its inception.
;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 10:40:34 AM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »
 8)  In common? …I think they'll have to tinker with it for… errr,  a couple more years :P ::) ::)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 11:08:51 AM »
Irn Bru?

Matthew Sander

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 12:40:28 PM »
Maybe they are referring to it's role as a part of the town/community with its public walking paths around and within (IIRC) the course boundaries. Just speculating though...

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 03:50:30 PM »
Most critics of Chambers as a public facility don't pay taxes for it. My wife, Bogey and I use it two-three times a week. Only a fraction of that is golf related. Oh yeah, and a major championship is coming to it. But what do I know? I'm just a golf architecture geek that loves links golf and lives a mile from the course and pays Pierce Ct taxes.

I have no problem with the name, as outlandish as it may be. Scott Weersing's post above illustrates why.

For the life of me, I'll never understand this websites infatuation with the whipping boys of ANGC and Chambers Bay. Easily the two most hated on courses of recent memory.  What happened to the good ole days of smashing on Fazio and Nicklaus courses?

William_G

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »
Outlandish title, no doubt
It's all about the golf!

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
For the life of me, I'll never understand this websites infatuation with the whipping boys of ANGC and Chambers Bay. Easily the two most hated on courses of recent memory.  What happened to the good ole days of smashing on Fazio and Nicklaus courses?

Ben, I love Chambers Bay and as lifelong Oregonian I'm proud to have this gem in the PNW. My remarks have nothing to do with the course, only the name.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Ben Sims

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

Ben, I love Chambers Bay and as lifelong Oregonian I'm proud to have this gem in the PNW. My remarks have nothing to do with the course, only the name.

Reread your post again.  Forgive me if I thought it was painting my home course in a less than favorable light.  :)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 09:07:36 PM »
Outlandish title, no doubt

I think Mathew Sander has the right idea.

If you want to talk about outlandish, lets talk about reversing holes so there are forced carries to the green over ponds. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 12:16:48 AM »
wow, personalized thread jacks via GJ Bailey...outlandish
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back