News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim McCann

I just got this information via an email from the European Institute of Golf Course Architects:

The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews has commissioned a new book that celebrates the 65 golf clubs throughout the world that have been conferred the royal title by the British Royal Family. The book was commissioned to mark Her Majesty The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and has been written by golf course architect Scott Macpherson.

The official book launch took place three days ago at Royal Wellington Golf Club in New Zealand, coinciding with the re-opening of the club’s Championship course that has been redesigned by Macpherson and former European Tour player Greg Turner.

On enquiry, Catherine McGirk at the R&A informed me that the book will not be available until April - maybe just for those in the UK?

If it’s half as good as my latest read, “The golf courses of Javier Arana,” it’ll be well worth waiting a few more weeks for it…

Joey Chase

Thanks Jim,

It sounds like an interesting book.  Like you, I thoroughly enjoyed reading "The Golf Courses of Javier Arana".  I am curious as to how many "Royal" courses exist beyond the Union Jack?  Both Spain and Belgium have "Royal" courses for example.  Are these courses recognized as royal to the R&A, or is it simply reserved to the courses deemed as such by English monarchy?

Jim McCann

Re: New book - "Golf’s Royal Clubs"
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »
Joey

Now there’s a good question – how many clubs are there with “Royal” in their title outwith those that have had the title conferred by a member of the British monarchy?

I’ve heard from a reliable source that Belgian clubs don’t even need to consult with the Royal family in that country in order to use the regal prefix. Apparently, the “Royal” title can be used once the club has celebrated its 50th anniversary.

I’ll be interested to find out in due course from the book what exactly a golf club has to do by way of application to the British monarchy to demonstrate its “Royal” worthiness.

Brad Tufts

Re: New book - "Golf’s Royal Clubs: Honoured by the British Royal Family"
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:01:37 PM »
There was a similar book published back in 1989 called the "Sunley Book of Royal Golf" by Sir Peter Allen that examines the same idea.

It does include a chapter or two on Royal golfers, as well as Royal Clubs that gained the moniker through other monarchies.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunley-Book-Royal-Peter-Allen/dp/0091738059

No skin in the above book...just read Jim's post and realized I owned a book similar to his description...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Gary Slatter

The Castle Course was opened by a Royal, could they add Royal to the name. 
Royal Woodbine in Toronto, is a royal pain in the ...
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David Davis

I'd guess the Royal designation when given out from the R&A would only be granted to courses that are related to Britain and most likely in the Commonwealth.

Other countries in Europe to my knowledge seem to all have their own rules for a course to become "Royal".

In The Netherlands, golf courses are thrown in with other sports organizations so there is not a unique distinction between for example a football (soccer) club or a rowing club or golf club for that matter. The rule use to be that when they turned 100 years old they could apply for this distinction which simply involves a lot of paperwork and a most likely a bit of politics. It really in my view had little to do with a bestowed honor from Royalty but more with an application and centennial distinction.

The procedures have changed a bit so it's unlikely there will be any other golf clubs in The Netherlands to receive the distinction.

It's also to be noted that as you can derive from the above the distinction has nothing to do with the quality of anything other than the fact that in order to survive 100 years an organization must be doing something right.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Niall C

David

The R&A has nothing to do with handing out the Royal designation, I think I'm right in saying that comes from the particular member of the Royal family who cares to bestow their patronage. I dare say that these days there is a whole apparatus to review such things and that the R&A might get consulted but it is ultimately upto Royalty to bestow their patronage or not. I'm referring of course to British royalty that presumably only confer their patronage on clubs within the UK or were colonies, or part of the commonwealth at the time of the designation.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

Scott's book goes into this in some detail. And also turns up the odd club that has been using the designation for some time with no right to it!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Thomas Dai

There used to be a course in Coleford in the Forest of Dean that was known as Royal Forest of Dean GC but now seems to be The Bells Hotel and Forest of Dean Golf Club. somewhat confusing. I wonder if the 'Royal' reference was in relation to the 'forest' rather than to the golf club.
atb

Paul OConnor

And we'll never be royals (royals).
It don't run in our blood
That kind of luxe just ain't for us.
We crave a different kind of buzz.

Niall C

Scott's book goes into this in some detail. And also turns up the odd club that has been using the designation for some time with no right to it!

Interesting. No doubt this is a teaser !! Look forward to buying the book.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

The last British Royal course is in Germany!

• Royal Homburger, the third oldest club in Germany, awarded the title on April 8, 2013 in commemoration of the role of English visitors and members of the Royal Family, and in particular the Prince of Wales, to the town of Homburg and its spa, in the founding of the Club. The first President was Field Marshall HRH The Duke of Cambridge, a cousin of Queen Victoria, and the Prince of Wales, by now His Majesty King Edward VII, was the first Honorary Member.

The R&A were granted Royal status in 1834.

Another interesting one is;

• Royal Marianske Lazne, Czech Republic, founded in 1905 and granted Royal patronage by Elizabeth II in 2003.
Cave Nil Vino

Jim McCann

Re: New book - "Golf’s Royal Clubs"
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:11:10 AM »
I checked the website of the Irish golf club formerly know as The Curragh and found that it appeared to now be using its Royal title.

A quick phone call to the pro shop confirmed this so I quickly found the following article from the independent.ie website which appeared
on 8 December 2013:

Curragh rejoins Ireland’s Royal golf elite.

The County Kildare club has opted to revive its unused regal  title, says Dermot Gileece

At a time of year when we celebrate the seamless merging of the old and the new, let us acknowledge a golf club which fits nicely into both categories. Royal Curragh GC was re-born last week when members voted at their annual general meeting to revive a status bestowed back in 1910.

It is to be a gentle transition, though official notification to the Royal and Ancient has brought a congratulatory response from chief executive Peter Dawson. And… the move gained impetus through a surprise visit last August by New Zealander, Scott Macpherson, who is writing a history of the world's royal golf clubs for the R and A.

The necessary groundwork had already been done, however, by the club's historian, Bill Gibson, a retired army colonel who has been aware since September 1981 of Curragh's right to the royal title. "A change in the national mood, highlighted by the success of the Queen's visit two years ago, seemed to bring matters into focus," he said. And there was enthusiastic support from club captain Lt Col Declan Rasmussen.

When Gibson wrote to the British Home Office 32 years ago regarding the status of Curragh GC, a certain L P Little replied: "From our records, we have been able to trace the following information which I think answers your three questions: On August 6th 1910, the Commander-in-Chief of the [British] Forces in Ireland wrote to the Secretary of State applying for the grant of the title Royal to the club [Curragh]. In doing so, he informed us that all early records of the club had been lost around the time of the South African War, but that there were references in an 'Irish Golfers' Guide' to the club being founded in about 1855.

"Our records show that the club was granted the title Royal in September 1910 and we have a letter from the then Captain of the club, dated October 1st 1910, addressing the club's thanks to His Majesty for conferring the title on the club." The letter concluded: "We have no evidence to show that the title was ever withdrawn from the club."

So, Ireland now has five royal clubs through British patronage – Roya Belfast, Royal Dublin, Royal County Down, Royal Portrush and Royal Curragh – and another, Royal Tara, honouring the seat of ancient Irish kings.

The title 'royal' is bestowed on a club if a member of the British royal family considers it worthy of such status and in the case of Curragh GC, the Duke of Connaught, a brother of King Edward VII, is known to have played there.

Tim Johnson

Although Canada has many courses with the Royal attached, I think they have just done that on their own. From what I have heard or read, only Royal Montreal and Royal Quebec were granted the use of the prefix.

Are there other "Royal" golf course in Canada that have been granted the use or are they just using it for prestige?

Peter Pallotta

I'm glad to hear a good player saying that, Gary - I thought it was just me!

Ouch!

Jamie Pyper

As far as other Royal designations in Canada ,I do know that both Royal Ottawa and Royal Colwood in BC were both granted permission to be "Royal " by King George V, an avid golfer. Royal Woodbine and Royal Niagara are both named under false pretences.

Tim Johnson

Forgot to add, Royal Ashburn changed their name to Royal after a visit from Prince Andrew but it was not granted by the royals.

Jim McCann

Re: "Golf’s Royal Clubs"
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 07:33:24 AM »
I was in communication with David Tracey, who has a website relating to “Royal” golf clubs (http://www.davidsroyalgolfballs.net/inlist.htm),
and he mentioned a club in Papua New Guinea which was now using the “Royal” prefix.

On asking Royal Port Moresby Golf Club if it had been given the right to use its regal title by a British monarch, I received the following reply:

Jim,

Thanks for the inquiry, as most likely the newest you would have very little, if any, detail on the Club.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Papua New Guinea (and other Commonwealth countries as well as UK) granted the “Royal” title (by virtue of name change) on Monday 29th October 2012.

There was a public ceremony at the Club on April 5th, 2013, after the proposed “logo” had been approved, where the “Royal” title confirmation was declared by the Governor General, Grand Chief Sir Michael Ogio, GCL, GCMG, KStJ,

Attached a scanned copy of letter from Buckingham Palace to the Governor General signed by Samantha Cohen, Assistant Private Secretary to The Queen.

Stanley M Walker ML
President

I wonder if this new Royal club will feature in Scott's book, seeing as it has been publicly using its new found status for almost a year now?

Dale Jackson

As far as other Royal designations in Canada ,I do know that both Royal Ottawa and Royal Colwood in BC were both granted permission to be "Royal " by King George V, an avid golfer. Royal Woodbine and Royal Niagara are both named under false pretences.

There are, in fact, six clubs in Canada entitled to use the Royal designation.

Royal Montreal
Royal Quebec
Royal Ottawa
Royal Colwood
Royal Regina
Royal Mayfair
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Paul Gray

The Castle Course was opened by a Royal, could they add Royal to the name. 

If only it were that easy! The Duke of Golf, aka Prince Andrew, does more golf gigs than you and I have had quality golf club dinners.  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Colin Macqueen

Gentlemen,

Here's a thing.

In Australia almost without exception the capital city of each state or territory has a golf course entitled to use the Royal designation. So we have Royal Adelaide, Royal Canberra, Royal Hobart, Royal Melbourne, Royal Perth and Royal Sydney.
So where is Royal Brisbane I ask?

Now there is a Royal Queensland, the Club was granted its Royal Charter in 1921 by King George V but  those fairways and greens are quite separate from the fine sward of Brisbane Golf Course.
So, pray tell me, how did Queensland Golf Club mange to fenangle this deal? Was the Brisbane Golf Course committee asleep at the wheel as the wheeling and dealing was done? Are there any members of the Brisbane and Queensland golf courses members of GCA who would care to explain this anomaly? One from each club would be really good and the tradition of frank discussion could ensue methinks!

Now admittedly there is no Royal Darwin but but if anyone was conversant with the shenanigans that go on in Darwin they would easily understand why Royal patronage has not been granted. Mind you royalty has been known the get up to some houghmagandie in their own right but that's not my point!

Cheers Colin ( a member of Indooroopilly Golf Club in Brisbane so no axe to grind here!).
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Duncan Cheslett

Who gives a stuff?

For how much longer are we going to insist on toadying to this disfunctional family of inbred Germans and being so bloody grateful when they generously bestow their 'honours'?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:51:16 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tony_Muldoon

Who gives a stuff?

For how much longer are we going to insist on toadying to this disfunctional family of inbred Germans and being so bloody grateful when they generously bestow their 'honours'?

Duncan, I'm sensing something here, but sometimes meaning is just not clear on the internet.    Are you holding back on us?

Do you want to clarify and tell us how you really, really feel? ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

Duncan clearly prefers the communist model of everyone is "equal" as he doesn't even like golf club captains. Maybe a holiday is North Korea will show him he's actually pretty well off here.
Cave Nil Vino

Duncan Cheslett

Duncan clearly prefers the communist model of everyone is "equal" as he doesn't even like golf club captains. Maybe a holiday is North Korea will show him he's actually pretty well off here.

Or France?

:)

And anyway, North Korea is a spectacularly poor example. It has a monarchy in all but name. Plenty of successful modern civilised societies however, manage perfectly well without such a ridiculously anachronistic and medieval constitutional system.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:24:20 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back