News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

#2 Riviera playing world class today
« on: February 16, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
The last threesome was embarrassed after perfect drives. The green seems subtlety devilish.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:34:09 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

Re: #2 Riviera playing world class today
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
These conditions are sensational
AKA Mayday

Ryan Coles

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »
Th last threesome was embarrassed after perfect drives. The green seems subtlety devilish.

Why is it desirable to embarrass the best players in the world?

Seems to be a USGA Championship Committee mindset.

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »
There wasn't anything tricky. They just underclubbed their second shots because they do not want to go to the top tier.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »
The speed and firmness of the greens is befuddling the pros but nothing looks gimmicky
AKA Mayday

Ryan Coles

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »
Why is it so green when the area is in drought?

Why are the bunkers in the rough?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »

Riv is on well water so they are not subject to water restrictions. 

They moved the tee up on #2 today which shortens the hole considerably but they put the pin in the front which makes it difficult.  My problem with #2 is they cut the rough on the hill to the right which makes the hole play much easier.  I saw Fred Couples on Friday fan it badly to the right and the ball simply rolled all the way down onto the green.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »

Why are the bunkers in the rough?

Ryan,

They narrowed the fairways.

# 18 looks like a narrow slalom course.

As much as I like Riviera and the conditions, I hate to see fairways narrowed.

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 03:07:51 PM »
I thought I heard Fred Couples indicating more width on 18
AKA Mayday

Ryan Coles

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »
I'd also say its over watered. Shouldn't be that green in a drought if what is preached on this site is accurate.

Not sure that it is proving to be particularly befuddling. The biggest bomb and gauge merchant on the tour looks like winning.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 03:22:56 PM »
I'd also say its over watered. Shouldn't be that green in a drought if what is preached on this site is accurate.

Ryan,

Just curious, how much time did you spend on the course this week?  Or the weeks leading up?
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »

You have to remember, this is a televised event, and green contrasts better with white sand than brown.

I'd agree, that I'd prefer that yellowish/brownish/greenish tinge, but, I think the producers might disagree with me.

Not sure that it is proving to be particularly befuddling. The biggest bomb and gauge merchant on the tour looks like winning.

Hank Haney told me to never forget that "distance" is "king"

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:30:09 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
He is a Masters champion as well.
AKA Mayday

Ryan Coles

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 03:32:47 PM »
I agree.

The point is, no matter the course, the pro's with equipment as it is, will trample all over any course. Only the USGA seem to think otherwise. Hence their ridiculous watering of greens mid round and balls rolling back to the players feet like it did to Payne Stewart.

Brits are equally as gullible. They think the great links will find out these 'pampered one dimensional Americans'. Tell that to Justin Leonard, Todd Hamilton and Ben Curtis.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »

Ryan,

Just curious, how much time did you spend on the course this week?  Or the weeks leading up?

None. You win.

Except my eyes can detect green, lush fertilised and watered rough well enough. And one doesn't need to research deeply to read of the recent climatic conditions. Unless you're suggesting that this thick rough encircling the bunkers is a result of rainfall?

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
Whatever the look it is the way the course is playing that counts. It is playing sensationally particularly the closer you get to the hole.
AKA Mayday

BCowan

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

You have to remember, this is a televised event, and green contrasts better with white sand than brown.

There may be more contrast but all you need to do is look at events held at Kingston Heath and Royal Melbourne to know that the natural yellow / brown sheen against the colour of bunker sand there is more attractive than green against white.
  On Feb 9th it was 100 degs in Melbourne, On Feb 9th it was 65 in LA.  One course it is summer time and the other it is winter time.  When you have cool temps, you are going to have green grass, even with a drought due to irrigation.  I think there is 4 or 5 more hours of sunshine in Melbourne right now too!  

BCowan

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
Brian S

My comment was more addressed to Coles than you.  You can say something right to me Brian

BCowan

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »

Ryan,

None. You win.

Except my eyes can detect green, lush fertilised and watered rough well enough. And one doesn't need to research deeply to read of the recent climatic conditions. Unless you're suggesting that this thick rough encircling the bunkers is a result of rainfall?
  On Feb 9th it was 100 degs in Melbourne, On Feb 9th it was 65 in LA.  One course it is summer time and the other it is winter time.  When you have cool temps, you are going to have green grass, even with a drought due to irrigation.  I think there is 4 or 5 more hours of sunshine in Melbourne right now too!

Greg Chambers

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 04:08:35 PM »

Ryan,

None. You win.

The two separate rain events they had last week certainly helped to green things up.  The course is far from overwatered.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Ryan Coles

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
Brian

Have a word with yourself.

Your points don't contradict with mine, they contradict with each other. You say how sensational the course looks this week, but then say the green is not as good as the Melbourne sand belt.

That much, I did comprehend.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »
No but it doesn't mean they have to water and grow rough around the bunkers either. Not to the extent they do anyway.

I'm just confused at how so many of the course set up aspects that are routinely criticised on here are excused at courses like riviera and merion.

Despite all the guff about strategy, plotting a route etc etc the event is led by a bomb and gauge merchant.  Followed by that great strategist Dustin 'rocketballz' Johnson.

Enough said.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 04:57:12 PM »
Brian

Have a word with yourself.

Your points don't contradict with mine, they contradict with each other. You say how sensational the course looks this week, but then say the green is not as good as the Melbourne sand belt.

That much, I did comprehend.

Ryan:

Re-read my last post. I was not comparing the conditions of Melbourne and Riv. I was challenging Pat's assertion that Green against white is prettier than brown / yellow sheen against sand. I think the Sand Belt is more attractive. It does NOT mean I think that Riv can replicate those conditions.

Do you understand the distinction or should I break it down in simpler terms for you?

No but I recognise when someone lacks generosity of spirit and are unable to exchange views without resorting to insult. I then ignore those people.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:38:04 PM by Ryan Coles »

Ryan Coles

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

Ryan,

None. You win.

The two separate rain events they had last week certainly helped to green things up.  The course is far from overwatered.

Fair enough Greg. You're closer than me.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 11:43:58 AM »
Just to educate some who aren't familiar with Kikuyu or Riviera's locale.

Yes some rain recently helped green the look, but Riviera is so close to the ocean that its nights seldom get cold enough to want any grass to go dormant.
Thus, kikuyu, which usually doesn't go dormant much anyway, usually stays pretty green year round, especially when some fertilizer is applied, which is for the benefit of the look.

If you look at the barrancas, the kikuyu has a dormant look, less water and fertilizer gives it this appearance.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back