News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Detour This Weekend: Suggestions for eastern North Carolina
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
We have to detour east for our Saturday round, as Dormie will be closed. Any suggestions for courses in the eastern part of North Carolina that might be open? We'll make the phone calls if you offer Rocky Mount-Goldsboro-Greenville suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

Re: Detour This Weekend: Suggestions for eastern North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:27:48 AM »
We have to detour east for our Saturday round, as Dormie will be closed. Any suggestions for courses in the eastern part of North Carolina that might be open? We'll make the phone calls if you offer Rocky Mount-Goldsboro-Greenville suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Bummer on the timing
Head further south
Palmetto/Aiken GC come to mind-though Augusta got hit pretty hard by ice storm....
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »
i grew up in the New Bern / Greenville NC area and my parents said they got 7 inches, so doubtful anything in eastern NC is open for play.

Keith Grande

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
Fly into Tampa - play Streamsong or World Woods?

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »
Ronald,
The snow is melting here and will be gone tonite and tomorrow morning with temps in the 60's for the weekend.  The Carolinas may be a day or two behind....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 12:10:05 PM »
Mike, are you in Atlanta?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »
For what it's worth, I was just on the phone with Tobacco Road, and they indicated that they got 8 inches.  I'm re-scheduled for mid-March.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
Ronald,
I am in Athens, NE of ATL about an hour...message me if you need anything this way...we expect to play tomorrow...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Rees Milikin

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »
For what it's worth, I was just on the phone with Tobacco Road, and they indicated that they got 8 inches.  I'm re-scheduled for mid-March.

Do they not expect it to melt over the weekend? 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »
Fly to Houston,  70 ' s this weekend

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 01:01:23 PM »
I appreciate some of the options to the South, but it's probably not feasible since we're already driving 12 hours from Buffalo to Pinehurst.  Tacking on another 3 hours may push the "dedication limit" of our traveling companions.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 01:09:27 PM »
i grew up in the New Bern / Greenville NC area and my parents said they got 7 inches, so doubtful anything in eastern NC is open for play.

I may need to invoke the "Southern Measurement Adjustment" for snow depth ("We got slammed with 7 inches" =  3 inches).

Actually, I spoke with the following courses in Greenville, and all will be open Saturday (likely open tomorrow):

- Cutter Creek
- Bradford Creek
- Ironwood

They received some ice and snow, but last night's rain took care of most of it.  With 50s tomorrow, they should be available.

For people familiar with the area, which of the above courses should we consider first to fill in some of our missing Pinehurst days?

Ironically, Scotch Hill Preserve (further east in Merry Hill) is going to be closed, not due to snow, but for being too wet without the benefit of sandy drainage.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »
Ronald,

You need to give the authorities greater notice before trips to NC. Your Feb visits place a huge strain on the state DOT and the local EMS.

You may not escape the winter...it snowed on us there last February.

That only happens to people from Buffalo.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
I am outside Winston-Salem  NC and no southern measurements here-14 inches and still snowing.  Should have known this was Ron's fault!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 01:25:05 PM »
Mark and Tom...no shit! I bring this marauding tempest wherever I go. Keeps me humble. Apologies to you guys.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jay Mickle

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 01:28:43 PM »
I would head to the coast and play Stranz's True Blue and Caladonia. Among Myrtle Beach courses I might also try Tom Doak's Heathland course. I don't have a lot of experience there, but I am sure that you can find an abundance of courses. I will be watching snow melt in Southern Pines.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 01:36:16 PM »
Thanks for the input. We won't be heading to S.C., as the coast is 3 hours away. The other courses are 4 hours away.

It is interesting that the courses themselves say they are open, while folks on this site indicate tons of snow near Greenville. Don't know what the disconnect might be.

Keep the suggestions coming. We are grateful.

Is there anything in or south of Fayetteville, near the NC/SC border, on either side?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »
Thanks for the input. We won't be heading to S.C., as the coast is 3 hours away. The other courses are 4 hours away.

It is interesting that the courses themselves say they are open, while folks on this site indicate tons of snow near Greenville. Don't know what the disconnect might be.

Keep the suggestions coming. We are grateful.

Is there anything in or south of Fayetteville, near the NC/SC border, on either side?

The "disconnect" is that they don't want to turn business away and while they may be open, they may not, and  there may be snow on the ground. ;D
generally the snow down there melts pretty quick but ground temps are probably lower than usual
might want to check tomorrow afternoon and see how things are melting/shaping up.

or if your reservations are cancelable might want to consider locating 4 hours further south
shame to drive 12 hours to play in slush
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 01:46:44 PM »
Can't relocate...writing some articles for various outlets...Pinehurst or bust, as they said in the 1930s.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
Can't relocate...writing some articles for various outlets...Pinehurst or bust, as they said in the 1930s.

Hopefully it melts in time
Ron, you're not going to Scottsdale next week or San Diego the week after are you? ;) ;) ;D ;D

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »

The "disconnect" is that they don't want to turn business away and while they may be open, they may not, and  there may be snow on the ground. ;D
generally the snow down there melts pretty quick but ground temps are probably lower than usual
might want to check tomorrow afternoon and see how things are melting/shaping up.

Actually, the disconnect isn't all that surprising, just by virtue of geography.  10-15 miles can make a huge difference in snow levels.  There are so many times I'll have 18 inches of snow, and my sister 15 miles north will have a dusting.  Winston vs. Greenville is 186 miles, and Greenville vs New Bern is 45 miles.  

I feel pretty good about Greenville, since all three said the same thing, without sounding too disingenuous.  Of course, now that I've turned my eyes toward Greenville, I'm sure the storm will start shifting that way very soon.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:39:53 PM by Kevin Lynch »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 12:45:18 AM »
What about Florence, SC? Florence CC is an excellent old school course... and it's only two hours due south of Pinehurst. Weather looks good for the weekend.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »
What about Florence, SC? Florence CC is an excellent old school course... and it's only two hours due south of Pinehurst. Weather looks good for the weekend.

Is it a private club?  Looks like it from their website.  Just thinking it may be difficult to arrange access for a foursome on short notice.

Jack Parrish

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »
I am in Atlanta, and I would suggest going to the coast....Soggy conditions all weekend.

or

spend some time re-gripping your clubs. Spring will be here in three weeks.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 10:12:36 AM »

Is it a private club?  Looks like it from their website.  Just thinking it may be difficult to arrange access for a foursome on short notice.

Call them and explain your situation. I'll bet they will accommodate you if they can. Great club... great atmosphere.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back