News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Dick's Daley Diary Down Under
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:36:52 AM »
Dick Daley should have left the snow-covered suburbs of Green bat Wisconsin, and now is winging his way across the Pacific (or Texas) on his way to Sydney, with his personal caddie (well, wife).  I suspect that Dick wouldn't dream of starting a thread on his holiday/golf trip, but with snow imminenet again in the NE of USA, I am sure there are a few here wanting to hear about more pleasant weather.

Dick is leaving -20C, and heading for 30C, from 8 hours of sun a day to 14 hours a day, from driving in snow on the right to driving in sunlight on the left, from miles per hour, lbs and yards to kilometres per hour, metres and kilograms.  At least the currency is similar.

dick has about 5 days in Sydney, a week in Melbourne, a Great Ocean Road trip and a few days in Tasmania from Barnbougle to Hobart, from MONA to Port Arthur, then back to OZ and on to NZ North Island. 

I do hope his body holds up to the occasional game of golf.  And the hospitality from the GCA friends down-under.

I hope you fill in this diary Dick.  Happy trails, even if you don't get to see the best part of Victoria (the border with South Australia).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Colin Macqueen

Re: Dick's Daley Diary Down Under
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 05:44:39 AM »
James,
I can only second what you say.

A great disappointment to me that he wasn't flying in via Brisbane where a warm welcome, in both senses, would have been offered.  I have every confidence that the good denizens of Sydney and Melbourne will ensure fine dining, wining, golfing and company will be his and his better half's for the taking. Is it at all clear yet what his exact itinerary is regarding the gowf?

RJD, Enjoy yer time Downunder .... 'tis the place to be!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Andy Gray

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:56:47 PM »
I have confirmation that he did indeed make it to Sydney! It looks as though he brought the weather with him, overcast with some rain expected the next couple of days - at least it's warm!

We have a round of golf organised at NSWGC on Monday thanks to Pup, and I've invited him around to mine for beers and a BBQ which involves Kangaroo, hopefully he can fit that in before he heads to Melbourne.

Welcome Dick Daley!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 10:05:55 PM »
I don't even want to think what that jet lag must be like.   I've been dodging a trip to Oz for years, all due to fear of that flight.......

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 10:59:44 PM »
Hopefully Dick brought extra shirts!  Otherwise you may want to offer him use of your washing machine at the BBQ.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:06:51 PM »
I don't even want to think what that jet lag must be like.   I've been dodging a trip to Oz for years, all due to fear of that flight.......

It's not a drama. The last two times I have flown back from the USA I have landed at 7am and gone straight to work.

You depart LAX or SFO at 10pm or 11pm and land (14hrs later) in Sydney or Melbourne at about 7am. For a long flight, it's one of the most natural you can do for sleep patterns.

Heading the other way is a different story! Leave Sydney 1pm, land in LAX 14hrs later and it's 10am the same day as you took off. That is a LOOOOOOONG day!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »

It's not a drama. The last two times I have flown back from the USA I have landed at 7am and gone straight to work.

You depart LAX or SFO at 10pm or 11pm and land (14hrs later) in Sydney or Melbourne at about 7am. For a long flight, it's one of the most natural you can do for sleep patterns.

Heading the other way is a different story! Leave Sydney 1pm, land in LAX 14hrs later and it's 10am the same day as you took off. That is a LOOOOOOONG day!

LOL, you're also about 40 years younger than me!   ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:22:32 AM »

LOL, you're also about 40 years younger than me!   ;D

We'll, I'm not! We arrived around 7am, went to our accommodations, took and shower, then went out for a meal and some touring. That evening we attended an Australian Rules football game, staying awake until close to our normal bedtime. After a full night's sleep I never felt one twitch of jet lag. As Scott says, the return trip was tougher because you have to relive an entire day... we actually arrived in San Francisco BEFORE the time we took off from Sydney!!! Again, you have to force yourself to stay awake until your regular bedtime, then hit the sack. The next morning you're good to go!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »
Bill, as Scott said, it isn't a problem at all, at least not coming from the West Coast.  I would add the South Island to DD's itinerary if I was asked for a recommendation.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:56:10 AM »
Bon voyage, Dick (et ux).

We want reports.

(All I can say is: Glad you didn't put it all into Tyco! [Evil emoticon omitted.])
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
Bill,

I'm planning to go back in 2015... PLEASE come with me!!!

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »

I'm planning to go back in 2015

This is great news!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
Bill,

I'm planning to go back in 2015... PLEASE come with me!!!

Mike

Time will tell...........

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »

I'm planning to go back in 2015

This is great news!

I'm counting on you, Scotty, to plan a Boomerang reunion at Barnboogle!!!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 07:40:34 PM »
I've already indicated my interest when the Boomerang to return to its starting point ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:59:25 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jason Hines

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 08:39:30 PM »
Gentlemen,

Just keep RJ away from your liquor cabinet and you should be OK.  Dick, take some photos please and travel safe.

Signed,

Jealous In The Snow

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »
I got a call from RJ as he was wandering about the Zoo in Sydney yesterday. A ferry to Circular Quay, along Sydney Harbour, to the Opera House and Harbour Bridge was next on the schedule. He will no doubt have a great time. There's a few courses in Melbourne awaiting his arrival, and a few happy GCAers too. Pictures to come in due course.

:)
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 05:09:37 AM »
I got a call from RJ as he was wandering about the Zoo in Sydney yesterday. A ferry to Circular Quay, along Sydney Harbour, to the Opera House and Harbour Bridge was next on the schedule. He will no doubt have a great time. There's a few courses in Melbourne awaiting his arrival, and a few happy GCAers too. Pictures to come in due course.

:)

Out with the old and in with the new, eh Matty!

Or should I say, out with the young and in with the old  ;D

Andy Gray

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:34 AM »
Dick's first golf outing since early November was at NSWGC, which as many people know is not easy. But what a great day! It was dreary and overcast for the first 4 holes but then as if on cue the clouds started breaking up as we crested the hill at the 5th to see that great green, far below our feet with the waves crashing on the rocks beyond. Thanks again to Pup for being a great host, and showing me and Dick how to play!

Jason, your warning came a little late - many bottles of wine and beer were consumed at my place with Dick and his lovely wife - great company.

They are in Melbourne now, hopefully the weather treats them better there than it did in Sydney. Over to the Melbourne guys!

Sean Walsh

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 07:51:57 AM »
Andy,

A forlorn hope. It's bucketing down.

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 08:03:34 AM »
Dick's first golf outing since early November was at NSWGC, which as many people know is not easy. But what a great day! It was dreary and overcast for the first 4 holes but then as if on cue the clouds started breaking up as we crested the hill at the 5th to see that great green, far below our feet with the waves crashing on the rocks beyond. Thanks again to Pup for being a great host, and showing me and Dick how to play!

Jason, your warning came a little late - many bottles of wine and beer were consumed at my place with Dick and his lovely wife - great company.

They are in Melbourne now, hopefully the weather treats them better there than it did in Sydney. Over to the Melbourne guys!

Fantastic!  Keep the updates coming.

James Bennett

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »
Saltzman has perfect weather for golf in Adelaide for the next three days.

I am sure Dick will get a variety of weather in Melbourne.  standard fare there.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
Well hello there. Please excuse, but my technological ability and using this infernal little note pad typewriter along with very dicey internet connections has been a trial by digital torture.  Sorry mates but thsre won't be any photos until I get back to a real computer.  I also can't get my bl tooth keyboard to work either.  Like wild Bill, we oldsters can get discombobulated.

But what does any of that matter when you are amongst some of the most welcoming and truly generous fellow golfclubatlas friends.  Vhat a country!!!

NSWGC was amazing!  But a vigorous hike for me.  AS expected, my first tee - no swings since november yanked one deep straight left, and second sliced to brown snake land.  But we got somewhat on track, and a few Australian pars showed up, including what Pup says that Ran d3clared the hardest driving hole on the course.   

At 19 yrs old, Pup has been everywhere and when he says that NSW is a superiore course to say Pebble, though I haven't played PB, I wouldnt argue on view or degree of difficulty. 

ANdy was a champion in assisting J o Ann and I.   And he is scratch handi on the barbie!  He also had to manage some drama with trying to assist Jo Ann with locating her lost camera, left in a cab after we left the party.  Too much -vino!  (Darn it DK, I can't get an emoticon to work!)  Lucky, I snapped and videoed just about all the same pix she had.

Thanks again Sydneysiders, now it is off to make a better effort at Kingston Heath with Matthew an David.  Sun is out!!!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 04:26:29 PM »
Have a great time you cobber!
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jud_T

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 04:27:55 PM »
Dick,

Have a great trip.  Those of us back in the frozen, albeit slowly thawing, tundra are living vicariously through you and Mark...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back