News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Holland

OT-- Congratulations to Jeff Warne
« on: February 12, 2014, 10:29:49 AM »
I have been meaning to give a shout out to fellow Bulldog, Jeff Warne for a few weeks now.  He is hosting a show on satellite radio with Jim McLean on Tuesday and Wednesday called Golf School.  Congratulations Jeff! 

Tim Martin

Re: OT-- Congratulations to Jeff Warne
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:34:59 AM »
Congrats Jeff. Make sure you put in a plug for Goat Hill. ;)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
Ah, geez - now I'm gonna feel compelled to agree with him on everything he writes here.... :)

Congrats, Jeff!!

Peter

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:16:05 AM »
Thanks Greg, all.

Yes after 15 years hiding out in the off season out east coaching Little League and youth hoop, I'm back in the instructional saddle-besides my regular clients and junior programs here at my club.
It's great to be back with Jim McLean, my long time mentor, who never rests, and is a tireless researcher of ALL methods, and is willing to call BS on BS, and has walked the walk as a player and a teacher for many years.
Though McLean's fond of playing Darth Vadar music due to my spotty internet,remote location and reappearance, I'd say Rip Van Winkle's a better comparison.

It's amazing how much social media and technology noise is out there. The last 3 months doing research on guests has been a real eye opener.
 Shocking how many people are involved in the game improvement industry now, not just pros, but TEAMS of technology, fitness, mental, biomechanical, clubfitting and equipment experts out there.
The jury's still out on much of it, but this dog is willing to look at new tricks, if a bit dubious of many.
It's still comes down to the clubface, the path, speed, and center contact-no matter how many electrodes you hook to the student ::) ::)

Kicking and screaming- joined the social media world---kind've
Under duress from my McLean,even posted a Tweet-joined facebook, but don't know what to do with it.

The one slightly unfortunate thing is that this topic needs the OT next to it.
When I was originally approached for the show, it was supposed to be instructional with a hint of golf travel and architecture.
However, it has morphed to "all instruction, all the time" due to a few things beyond my control.
That said, if/when we get a bit more established, I hope to do segments and have experts on architecture and talk about the great, and more importantly unique, courses out there-and hopefully tie it all in together with instruction.

Suggestions welcome-
I know it's golf instruction---on the radio.......zzzz
I'd much rather discuss the merits of Goat Hill Tim
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:32:33 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »
Jeff - nice post. My two cents re suggestions: since radio is all about talk, make it good talk first and foremost. The particulars (i.e. the 'intruction') aren't nearly as important as the overall story/narrative and the up-close and personal with the hosts. In this area (golf instruction) as in just about every other area under the sun these days, there is more than enough 'information/facts' out there for anyone who's interested, and so merely adding more facts/information to the mix won't set you apart or (on radio especially) be particularly effective. What you have that no one else (magazines, interent etc) has is Jeff Warne and Jim McLean together, just talking about whatever interests them most in whatever way and for however long they wish. THAT'S what I'd want to hear, since I can get that no where else and since it is best suited to radio. You guys probably have a combined 80 years of teaching and playing experience, and have studied with and/or taught and/or played with and/or have heard stories about the very greats in the game and the very great teachers of the game, from Hogan to Nicklaus and beyond, from Pennick to Harmon and beyond. So tell us YOUR stories and YOUR experiences and YOUR learnings (and know/believe that the audience really wants to hear those stories), and through that we'll get all the 'instruction' we need.  

Best
Peter
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:29:49 AM by PPallotta »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »
Very cool seeing this post here this morning. I look forward to tuning in and listening. Congratulations, Jeff.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
I stumbled onto the show a couple weeks ago but was so focused on the legend that I didn't catch Jeff's name. Congrats!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Picking up on Peter's post, I enjoyed Leadbetter's book reviewing Hogan's fundamentals. (Made possible by the unearthing of photos taken to assist Tony Ravielli.) In that light, could you guys review, from a technical / swing mechanics perspective, the advice Bobby Jones gave in "On Golf" and / or his instructional films? Does his teaching remain relevant and if so how / where?

Not sure if / how that's possible in radio but you seem like smart guys. Figure it out!

I'll hang up and listen.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »
Picking up on Peter's post, I enjoyed Leadbetter's book reviewing Hogan's fundamentals. (Made possible by the unearthing of photos taken to assist Tony Ravielli.) In that light, could you guys review, from a technical / swing mechanics perspective, the advice Bobby Jones gave in "On Golf" and / or his instructional films? Does his teaching remain relevant and if so how / where?

Oh, that's really good - yes, Jeff, please do that. I remember Nick Price talking about how, while learing a lot, still made himself mental and really struggled by trying to follow The Five Fundamentals EXACTLY, and how eventually had to make the lessons his own. It was fascinating, AND I learned a lot too. I'd LOVE to hear your take on the Jones' films and on Hogan's fundamentals and on Jack's My Way....and I think a lot of others would too. In short, don't be afraid to make YOURSELF the story.

Peter

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »
Congrats, Jeff! I'm looking forward to listening.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Keith Grande

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »
Great news jeff - perhaps you can throw in some stealth facts or discussions of golf course design within the fundamentals of playing the course - "playing golf" vs playing "golf swing"?  Course management, playing the hole properly, risk/reward?  This week's Riviera's 10th hole would be a good discussion - the various options and how to execute the shot required. 

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
Congrats Jeff! I'll be listening for sure.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
Congrats Jeff! I'll try to call in and spark some conversation about architecture and golf courses.  Very cool!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 11:56:38 PM »
Jeff,

That's really terrific.

Congratulations and Good Luck.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 08:59:48 AM »
Congrats Jeff! Agree very much with Peter's advice. 

Rees Milikin

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »
Congratulations! 

Any chance they create podcasts for the show (not sure if they make any for satellite radio programs)?

BCowan

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
Congratulations Jeff!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »
Jeff,

Will your show be available On Demand? I just found the Ben Crenshaw show and hope that your broadcast will be archived as well.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
Jeff,

Will your show be available On Demand? I just found the Ben Crenshaw show and hope that your broadcast will be archived as well.

Michael,
Not sure. but it is replayed 6 more times during the week.9 pm Tues, Wed, 1pm also-though maybe these times change.
also like 6 am weekends?
I've only listened to about 15 minutes of it one night when I randomly stumbled on it when picking my son from b-ball practice, but they do list the replay times on the website.

I'm guessing Crenshaw is being archived because he's well....Crenshaw ;D (BTW I did listen to HIS show-great stuff)
and also probably archived because I think he does way less shows and they're not live-we've done 12 live shows in 5 weeks
and for the record I did suggest Crenshaw to the head of content when they were discussing expansion of their offerings.

We have Eric Trump on the show Tuesday(may be less about teaching ::) ;D) which may be a bit awkward as Trump Doral may sponsor the show (they may censor me ;) ;D)
I do intend to ask a few questions about Aberdeen and Doonbeg, though I've got to do a bit of research to see how involved he is
(his title is executive vice president of development and acquisitions so one would assume pretty involved)
So let me know if there's anything you want to know (that I can reasonably ask)

So far with the guests-(we've had at least 1 and as many as 3 per show) I've tried to make them the stars/experts-which requires quite a bit of research.
It's a great learning experience to tap their brains-and of course I enjoy throwing McLean an occasional softball so he can tell us about his school in Texas one more time ;) ;)
If the show wasn't on at 9 am it'd be a great drinking game ;D

I try not to take up the board with self promotion but since I've been all over the board today, I didn't want to be rude and ignore Michael's question.
Probably best to pm me with suggestions.
I will bump this thread if and when I get a chance to interview a GCA type guest
It would be great to light up the phone lines that day as they really have no other metric to measure by (there are no ratings)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 09:21:25 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 12:42:32 AM »
Jeff,

What is your background in broadcasting, if any? I used to own the Clemson University Sports Network, so I've got more than a passing interest in what you are doing. Do you get much guidance from your program director? Do they review or critique your shows after each broadcast? Just curious. Finally, are you left to your own devices to create a show or are there production assistants to help line up guests?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 06:34:19 AM »

We have Eric Trump on the show Tuesday(may be less about teaching ::) ;D) which may be a bit awkward as Trump Doral may sponsor the show (they may censor me ;) ;D)

I do intend to ask a few questions about Aberdeen and Doonbeg, though I've got to do a bit of research to see how involved he is
(his title is executive vice president of development and acquisitions so one would assume pretty involved)
So let me know if there's anything you want to know (that I can reasonably ask)

1. Would love to know any updates on the Bronx course.

2. Is Pat Mucci on the Trump payroll?

3. Which architect will they hire to redo Doonbeg?

4. What percentage of guest at Doral are "international"?

Thanks and congrats.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back