News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jim_Kennedy

Aerials - Hope You Enjoy
« on: February 10, 2014, 06:11:31 PM »
Indian Spring - Beaver Dam - Argyle
http://nineteen45.com/dchistory.htm
Ross' course was given high marks in its day

Congressional
http://nineteen45.com/Congressional/congressional.htm

Nassau
http://nineteen45.com/Nassau/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:30:25 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joel_Stewart

Re: Aerials - Hope You Enjoy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:19 PM »
The Congressional link isn't working and then Nassau link says Congressional even though it is Nassau.

You would think that Nassau would look at the before and after and reconsider the current bunkering?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:31:54 PM »
The Congressional link isn't working and then Nassau link says Congressional even though it is Nassau.

You would think that Nassau would look at the before and after and reconsider the current bunkering?

http://nineteen45.com/Congressional/congressional.htm

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 07:38:22 PM »
Everything should be working now.  :-[

They must have had good greens at Indian Springs:

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 07:54:51 PM »
Jim,

The loss of fairway width in the Congressional aerials is astonishing.  I realize the holes are no longer the same, but the original fairways certainly allowed for strategic design to flourish.

TK

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »
Wow, the intricate old bunkering at Nassau looks wild!  Who is the consulting architect there these days??

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 08:19:39 PM »
Tyler,
I also noticed the diminished fairways. Too bad as the  corridors on holes that appear in both aerials are still the same width. 

Craig Disher

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:26:11 PM »
The second iteration of Indian Spring at 4 Corners is the course most remember. it was a redesign by Wm Flynn after Ross's course was sold and the new owner sliced off several holes on the south end of course for real estate. The image I used is of course the original Ross design. The clubhouse is still standing, now a YMCA.

I've talked to a few golfers who played the Flynn course and they remember it fondly but the handful I've met who played Ross's - one of whom was the DC metro champion for ten years running - said it was one of the best on the east coast.

The link for Congressional CC has been corrected. It should have been

http://nineteen45.com/Congressional/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:08:35 AM by Craig Disher »

Joe Jemsek

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 11:48:47 PM »
Nassau CC has a long history of renovation.

Most recently Tom Fazio's group rebuilt the greens surfaces added some chipping areas an implemented a few bunker changes. The greens looked great this spring, I toured the course just before they opened the greens back up.

New chipping area behind #18

20130514_144032 by jemsekgolf, on Flickr

Between 2004-2009 Cynthia Dye-McGarey(Pete Dye's Niece) was consulting architect, she rebuilt all the bunkers, driving range, 9th green, and rerouted the 3rd and 4th hole.

"New" 3rd

20130514_142341 by jemsekgolf, on Flickr

The new 3rd is a par 3 which skirts a lake added for drainage sometime in the 1990's. The 4th is now a long par 5 which bends right around a huge waste bunker complex. The rerout was completed to add more variety to the course which had an abunance of middle length par fours. (it had 13 par 4's) The new routing par 70 with 4 par 3's and 2 par 5's.

Cynthia's new waste bunker added on 13th

20130514_143134 by jemsekgolf, on Flickr

Between 1990-2000 someone removed the Silva flat front bunkers and changed the bunker style to cape & bay with flashed sand.

Before that in desending order (per Whitten's A of G)
Silva
Cornish
F Duane
George Low
Herbert Strong

Nassau is a great course but is always trying to keep up with the other great courses on Long Island.
Have clubs, will travel

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:55:15 PM »

Joel,

I've always felt that a true restoration at Nassau would produce an exceptional golf course.

There's a great aerial hanging in the men's locker room that would be a great roadmap.

Neil Regan

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:11:31 AM »
Nassau had Raynor too.
Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »
Pat,
The only change in the routing looks to be along the road, where two ca. 330 yard holes were exchanged for a 150 yard par 3 and a 580 yard par 5 (which uses the 'same' green as its forebear).

Such an intact layout gives the club a leg up if they choose to restore their course. 

Joe Jemsek

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 03:23:34 PM »
Pat, Jim
Do you really think Nassau would be exceptional with restored bunkers?  The issue with the course is, it's a drive and short iron all day long.

1-4(old 3,4), 6-8, 11-14, 17,18 were all similar length par 4's between 380-420. When Dye was working with the club, we tried to get them to look at a more aggressive renovation project to create more interesting hole options.  Between 6 & 7 there could be a couple great 4.5 par holes and 8th could be shorten to make a great 3.5 par type hole.

At best, the course is a fourth or fifth option between Port Washington and Oyster Bay. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fun and enjoyable member’s course, but there a few shots at the club that really stir the heart or soul. 
Have clubs, will travel

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back