News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Coming to Melbourne? Here's What You Need to Know
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:49:17 PM »

That's all, folks.

Scott Warren

Re: Coming to Melbourne? Here's What You Need to Know
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:00:59 AM »
Now that Stokehouse is gone...

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:13:38 AM »
Scott,

I believe it was Ava Gardner who said they couldn't have picked a better place to make a movie about the end of the world...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:22:34 AM »
At least they haven't padlocked the place yet in anticipation of my arrival.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:48:46 AM »
All right, enough with the frivolity.  I can't let a shithole like Sydney get promoted over Melbourne.

Golf Courses -  The famous Sandbelt.  8 clubs and 10 courses, 7 of the clubs located in proximity to each other, one of them, Peninsula, has its own unique flavour, located on the outer edges of Melbourne.

Kingston Heath is the second best course in Melbourne according to many.  Residents often pride themselves on Melbourne being the sporting capital of the world, and this photo of the crowds watching Jonathan Becker play his final approach during a memorable round last year are proof enough.

Commonwealth arguably has the best holes on the Sandbelt outside of Royal Melbourne.  It used to be known as the tree farm, for good reason, but recent work has opened up many of the views admirably. (Kyle Henderson image of par 3 15th hole)

Woodlands is fairly unique amongst the Sandbelt courses in that it isn't officially part of the Sandbelt due to too many utes in the parking lot, but the course has a lot to offer, and given that they are so short of cash, overseas visitors aren't ripped off as much here as they are at the other Sandbelt clubs.

Victoria's biggest claim to fame is having famous members like Peter Thomson, Doug Bachli and Geoff Ogilvy.  A flattish front nine precedes a more undulating back nine.  Stay and play packages are readily available. (Kyle Henderson image of par 3 4th hole)

Peninsula is generally not thought of by overseas visitors, but it also has stay and play packages available, which makes it a good base to explore the Mornington Peninsula courses and wineries.  it has two courses, one shorter and more undulating, the other longer and flatter, but arguably the better course.

St Andrews Beach is about 45 minutes away from Peninsula.  A troubled development that boasts one of Tom Doak and Michael Clayton's finest creations.  Also pretty cheap to play at about $60 a round.  If you're lucky, some kangaroos might accompany you on your journey; if you are unlucky, it will be a tiger snake. (Another Kyle Henderson image)

Accommodation All depends on whether it is a purely golfing trip or something else.  Victoria and Peninsula as mentioned both provide great hospitality in the midst of golf, and I'm not sure why you would want more than that.  Other than that, Melbourne is blessed with innumerable hotels of all price points. 

The CBD is a good base to explore Melbourne, but perhaps not so good to explore the Sandbelt.  St Kilda, a bohemian suburb about ten minutes from the CBD provides an eclectic mix of people and shops, but the area isn't for the faint-hearted or families, unless you are the Kardashians, in which case you have probably sucked off every nationality that exists in the suburb and will therefore be used to the strange people. Think Venice Beach without the class.

Southbank, adjoining the CBD, also boasts a great mix of eateries and nightlife.

Things To Do  Between March and September football rules the town.  Unfortunately, the game has become sanitised, so that classic moments like this no longer happen to filthy scum Carlton players like they deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-v8V1_xVSd8
If you are an Arts person, Melbourne is the culture capital of Australia, with all manner of museums, theatres and festivals of all kind, including the famous Moomba festival in March. The Formula One Grand Prix is around the same time, the Australian Open tennis is of course in January, and the famous Spring racing carnival occupies minds in October/November.

Healesville Sanctuary is about an hour from Melbourne; it's a bush land haven for the rather unique indigenous wildlife.

Yarra Valley wineries - again around an hour from Melbourne are the numerous wineries of the Yarra Valley, where you can combine boozing and eating.  Most of them have tours of some description. You can also sample a wide range of local hand made preserves, pickles and other foodstuffs.

Dandenong Ranges - again, around an hour from Melbourne, but on the cusp of the Yarra Valley, so the area makes a good base to explore both.  Miss Marple's tearooms are quite famous, although in truth I make much better scones, but there are a lot of local craft shops and restaurants that make it a worthwhile trip, as well as the William Ricketts sanctuary, a fairly unique place where a local artist created many sculptures of indigenous origin.

Melbourne also has a number of famous suburban streets with their own local identity that can be fun to explore before Capitalistic greed ruins them forever.  Chapel Street is home to the young and beautiful, as well as the drunk and deranged; Lygon Street is a little bit of Italy on the edge of the city, and now that the Gangland war has been over for some years, safe to dine out in again; Victoria Street in Richmond, a few minutes from the CBD via public transport, has many good and cheap Vietnamese restaurants, as well as many cheap and not-so-good Vietnamese hookers;  Brunswick Street is the heart of Hipster Melbourne, so you will either want to hire a Hummer, remove the licence plates and drive along the sidewalks here, or just sit down for a coffee and wonder how so many strange looking people could think they are so cool; nearby Smith Street has about as an eclectic mix of people and shops as it is possible to find.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 03:38:02 AM »
And don't forget to visit the penguins at Philips Island.

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 03:56:44 AM »
If you're staying in Melbourne and value proximity to golf, proximity to the city and the ease of having the tram at your doorstep. There is only one accommodation choice.

The Parkview.

Rooms to suit every budget, near to city, Chapel Street, St Kilda and not far from the sandbelt.

http://parkviewhotel.com.au/room-types/

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 04:06:22 AM »
Royal Melbourne do pull off the look of an entrance to a suburban cemetery very well.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark_F

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:43 AM »
And don't forget to visit the penguins at Philips Island.

Dammit - yes, of course. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:09:17 AM »
This is funny, because the Aussie competitiveness is always outfront, and here we have Scott and Mark tauting their cities.  

Gangland hits?  I thought they confiscated all the guns.  We can't miss sampling the Ital-Austalian cuisine.   ;D

I grew up in our University campus beatnik to early hippie era.  And, although I know the Bohemian culture more closely describes that, here in my part of the world, the Slovakian-Czech immigration of ~1880s are called Bohemians.  My wife is 100%.  And, she is a wannabe hippie.  So she'll have that going for her in St Kilda....  ::)

But, your sports mayhem has style.  The training crew look very smart and in step carrying that bloke off on the litter.  ;D

Thanks to Scott and James, we are in the Parkview.  

Did you say... Tigersnake?    :-\

Can't wait ta meet'chall.

G'day.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:12:15 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
The two threads regarding Melbourne and Sydney are fantastic for anyone wanting a quick intro into what you need to do and even potentially where to stay when in Melbourne.  It's hard to believe that it's been almost a year since my visit down under, but here are a couple of thoughts that I came away with as an American visiting Australia.

1.  The dollar is still weak and things down there are going to be more expensive than what we are used to. 

2.  I agree with Mike Clayton, play Royal Melbourne as many times as you can.  There is no way you can see it all on a first go around or even a second or third.  There are so many subtle vagaries there that you cannot possibly catch them all.  It's similar to National Golf Links in this regard.  MacKenzie is the name on Royal Melbourne, but the genius there is in the detail work of Russell, Morcum, and Crockford. 

3.  If you are there mostly for golf, then stay at Victoria.  It's convenient, not outrageously expensive, the food is really good, the members are warm and friendly,  and the golf course is outstanding. 

4.  Kingston Heath is clearly #2 in Melbourne... an amazing course given the limited amount and relatively dull piece of land.  KH is on the short list of great design jobs of all time. 

5.  The quality of the par 3s holes in Melbourne is mind boggling.  I'm not sure if there's a weak or indifferent one in the bunch.  If I had a choice for the best set, I may very well pick Yarra Yarra.  It's a really interesting and diverse set of short holes. 

6.  When driving, be mindful of the speed cameras!!!

7.  Competition days are awfully busy at the clubs, no when they are.  It seems like Wednesday and Saturday are the days in Melbourne.  Wednesday was the day we went down to the Mournington Peninsula and saw National Moonah and St. Andrews Beach. 

8.  Since I've already mentioned it, make sure you take at least a day and visit the Mournington Peninsula. 

9.  They serve the coldest beer down there.  Not sure how they do it.  Also, enjoy a lemon and lime bitters.  The first one didn't grab me, but the second one addicted me.  The wine is surprisingly good too and tends to fall in line price wise with the US. 

10.  I can't wait to get back!!!!!

Mark_F

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 03:31:11 PM »
When driving, be mindful of the speed cameras!!!

Good point Adam.  And be particularly mindful that speed limits can go from 60 to 80 to 50 to 70 within a few hundred metres sometimes.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »

Good point Adam.  And be particularly mindful that speed limits can go from 60 to 80 to 50 to 70 within a few hundred metres sometimes.

Mark--

Your comment is absolutely correct....  never really understood that.  Fortunately, did not get a ticket while over there but it was a concern for sure. 

Chris Kane

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 04:10:47 PM »
as well as many cheap and not-so-good Vietnamese hookers
I really hope this is a carpark review. :o

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »

Well, they announce it several times with big signs where they use speed cameras. It's really hard to get caught if you don't dream while driving

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »

And, as I understand it, speed limits are actually speed maximums in Australia rather than something you can push.  I was passing cars all of the time until Phillip told me why near the end of my trip.   

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »
This is funny, because the Aussie competitiveness is always outfront, and here we have Scott and Mark tauting their cities. 

The thing you will notice is that - as with this thread - it's always the Melbournians trying to initiate the "my town's better than your town" debate with Sydneysiders. Folks in Sydney don't really care. Truth be told we quite like Melbourne, but there's not really any real debate which city is number one.

I find Sydney more like an American city and Melbourne is more than a bit European. Both are great and so different that a comparison doesn't really work.

In Victoria (Melbourne), they hide them in the bush and don't always have warning signs. In New South Wales (Sydney) every speed camera of any type has multiple high-vis warning signs alerting you to the presence of a camera and the legal speed. Of course the safest bet is to drive at or just below the legal speed, after all, you're on holidays, so there's no need to rush!

Mark_F

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 07:23:02 PM »
I find Sydney more like an American city and Melbourne is more than a bit European. Both are great and so different that a comparison doesn't really work.

Incorrect.  Melbourne is an Asian/MiddleEastern/Sub-continent hybrid now.

The Great Ocean Road is obviously another popular attraction, especially here at Port Campbell.

Best way to see it is in a classic Aussie muscle car, the 450 horsepower GTS.  Forget the speed limits and enjoy.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »
Another thing I find curious is every Aussie I ever met or heard of has a fondness for the well made beer, ale, lager, and there is a robust wine culture. Sports and hearty drinking and gastronomy are certainly a theme.  So, how strict are the various law enforcement agencies on drinking and driving? 

When I first was a rookie copper, the legal limit was .15!  By todays standards, that is pretty much plowed under.  They dropped it to .12 during my career, and most Wisconsinites were horrified and were in fear it would destroy our beer and a shot, cheesehead culture.  Then it went to .10 and for injury traffic accidents the charge can be made for .08 blood alcohol.  I can't even keep up anymore with all the revisions downward towards zero tolerance. 

Believe it or not, we used to call an arrest and a subject who tested barely .15% blood alcohol a "cheap arrest" the same as the guys thought a fellow copper who write a 12 mph or <speeding ticket, and asshole.   

The fact is, probably half the people driving on the road on a Friday Saturday night in Wisconsin are around .08-.10. 

I know it isn't politically correct, and the carnage that is caused by drunk drivers is horrific and tragic.  But, there is this strange conflict of mores as to what is considered a normal amount to be able to consume on a nice evening out, without becoming a clearly impaired driver.  Believe me, I've seen and experienced the entire spectrum.  But, it is perhaps a bit of misplaced nostalgia that one looks back and says that the days when- if you kept it reasonable, you could go out and socialize with friends, enjoy some good wine or brewskies and not end up in the pokey or loose your license. 

So, what is the relationship in OZ with the spirited enthusiasm for slaking the 'tirst' and staying out of the Queens jail?  :-\

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
Another thing I find curious is every Aussie I ever met or heard of has a fondness for the well made beer, ale, lager, and there is a robust wine culture. Sports and hearty drinking and gastronomy are certainly a theme.  So, how strict are the various law enforcement agencies on drinking and driving? 

The alcohol limit is 0.05 and it is strictly adhered to.

Here's the latest drink-driving campaign in NSW - takes a different angle to delivering the message: What's Your Plan B?

David_Elvins

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
RJ,

Also worth remembering that there are unmarked speed cameras hidden on a lot of roads in Melbourne/Victoria.  If you go past one of these more than 5 km over the speed limit, it is a automatic ticket sent to your hire car company and passed on to you. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 10:34:49 PM »
RJ:

You read that right ... you have 5 kph (that's 3 mph) tolerance above the speed limit, and 0.05 for blood alcohol.  And amazingly, they don't have drivers for hire like they do in Ireland.

This was the most outstanding fact to me about life in Australia.  The stereotype is "descendants of convicts," but in fact their attitude toward laws (including environmental laws) is strikingly conformist.  Until you get down to Tasmania, everything is out the window there, you just have to watch out not to dent the car too badly with all the animals jumping out in front of you.  (Seriously.  Don't drive at night in Tassie if you can help it.)

Have a great trip and say hello to Paul for me!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »
Well, it does look like you have very good public transportation it both MEL and SYD.  But with all the notoriety for revelry that the stereotypical Aussie legend and lore portrays, those buses, trams and train cars must be a party in their own right at bar closing times on the weekends!   ;D ;)

James did warn me off about both aspects of driving at night in Tazzie, from a wild life roaming perspective, and he did mention the movie, "Deliverance".   I can't squeal like a pig, nor would I ever really want to...  :-\

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 11:23:01 PM »
If I could be born again and choose a place to grew up and live, Melbourne would probably be my choice.
Tim Weiman

Chris Kane

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 01:49:53 AM »
I'm not sure about the other states, but in Victoria the tolerance is 3kmh above the limit. In other words don't push it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back