News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Weersing

Best wool socks
« on: February 03, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »

I am headed to Bandon in three weeks and I need to get some wool socks or high performance walking socks (do they exist?)

What would you recommend?

I searched the site and Kentwood socks came up from the 100 hole hikers.

PCCraig

Re: Best wool socks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
Scott,

Check out Smartwool socks. I wear them to work nearly every day. Thin but very warm wool socks.
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Kentwool is the best.  Mr. Whitaker turned me on to Kentwool. 

Ken Moum

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »

I am headed to Bandon in three weeks and I need to get some wool socks or high performance walking socks (do they exist?)

What would you recommend?

I searched the site and Kentwood socks came up from the 100 hole hikers.

I am a total geek for Smartwool.  One thing they do is feature merino wool content above 75%.  I have also had excellent luck with Cabelas socks that are 78% merino.

They all cost 15 to 20 bucks a pair.

I have looked into Kentwool and although they use merino, it's a "proprietary" blend with synthetics.  I am sure they are great, but I'm stuck on high percentage merino wool, it's that good.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:51 PM »
Kentwool are the finest golf socks in the planet... period. You will never be disappointed with Kentwool, guaranteed.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:31:06 PM »
I like Kentwool short socks in the summer.  Very cool walking.  Maybe it's the pooh!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:43:30 PM »
Kentwool are the finest golf socks in the planet... period. You will never be disappointed with Kentwool, guaranteed.

I couldn't agree more!!

Kentwool socks are life changing.  I say that because I used to struggle with blisters and sore feet, and Kentwool socks have virtually taken care of that.  I wear them year round even down here with the bootie length during the summer.  Once I got a good feel for how great they are, I got hooked.  I basically won't wear anything (golf, works, whatever) else unless I don't have any Kentwool socks clean. 

They are not cheap, but how do you put a price on your own comfort and convenience?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:05:03 PM »
I am not familiar with Kentwool socks but I use Smart wool sock for skiing and my feet have never been warmer.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »
Having tried every wool sock on the planet, I can proclaim that the best is ...

Oh, wait, no one has tried every wool sock, so the "best" contained herein are subjective observations.

Kentwool is one I've worn and a good choice.

Smartwool walking socks: http://www.smartwool.com/socks/walk.html?gender=9914

Kentwool:  http://shop.kentwool.com/cart.php
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 11:28:43 PM »
My enthusiasm just waned  :P

From their website:

KENTWOOL will offer for retail its performance enhancing line of golf socks to some of the world's top-ranked golf clubs, utilizing current Golf Digest rankings as a primary basis for qualification. KENTWOOL reserves the right to adjust the qualification criteria.

We're talking socks here - GMAB!  ;D  Sorry, but my feet aren't that elite.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:50:49 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 01:08:33 AM »
Kentwool. I bought three pairs over 5 years ago and they are like new.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:25 AM »
I love Smart Wool socks, BUT let me save you a LOT of money.

Go to Costco and buy a 4 pack (or two or three) of their version of the Smart Wool socks; they are under the Kirkland label, but I kind of suspect that Smart Wool makes them.  They are a superior product that I wear constantly; winter golf, cycling, around the house, and so on.  I think the price is around $16 for the pack of 4.

You can thank me later.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Josh Tarble

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 08:48:48 AM »
Kentwool socks are amazing, and probably what you need for cold weather.

However, for warmer weather, the best socks are SwiftWick.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 09:55:33 AM »
I like Kentwool short socks in the summer.  Very cool walking. 

Ben Carey

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
+1 for Kentwool

I love them so much that they are now all I own. I threw out all of my other (including casual and dress) socks and filled up my closet with Kentwool. My only regret is that I wish I would have done it sooner.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »
Don't forget waterproof / water resistant / water repellant shoes, if wet weather is a concern.  Wool socks, in theory, keep you "warm even when wet," but I learned by sad experience on a golf trip that the socks were not enough to do the job with shoes that were not water resistant, etc.

That having been said, I've been happy with Smartwool for years - they make a wide variety of socks in thickness and styles.  Choose carefully.  However, based on A.G.'s advice I'm going to check out the Kirklands at Costco.

Edit: P.S. - my Costco did not have the men's in stock.  They did have the women's Kirkland "Trail Socks" which appeared to like Smartwool -- 3-pair package for $9.99.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:41:23 PM by Carl Johnson »

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
   Scott

I spent 28 years in the sporting goods business which included winter gear(Downhill & cross country especially). I know what it is to be cold but I picked up a tip from Penny Pitou (Olympic skier and longtime friend ) many , many years ago that I can share with you and others at GCA who play in brisk and/or cold weather.

There are many brands of very good sox that offer comfort from the cold/sometimes wet conditions at Bandon .

Basic , over the counter, VASELINE!!--Lather up your feet , especially your toes and in betwwen your toes, about an hour before you tee it up. It might feel funny but it works. I 've been doing this for 30 years. The VASELINE ACTS AS AN INSULATOR. i SWEAR BY IT!!

Try it. Let me know what you think. Enjoy Bandon!!
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Craig Sweet

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 01:15:53 PM »
Smart Wool sux...they wear out..thin out.

THE BEST wool sock is Darn Tough!  Made in Vermont...lifetime guarentee.  They cost no more...often less...than SmartWool....but you will not wear them out....ever. 

http://darntough.com
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 01:36:57 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Kentwool. My first introduction to them was their being a sponsor of the 2012 Hundred Hole Hike. I was initially somewhat shell-shocked in buying $20 for a pair of golf socks, but I wouldn't wear any other socks now. The socks are heavily padded and keep your feet warm and dry, which is all that matters especially in colder, wet environs.

Kentwool's customer service is also top-notch. Last summer, a few pairs snuck into the dryer and noticeably shrunk. I called up Kentwool on the oft-chance that they would replace them. They did just that and told me not to worry about sending back the old pairs -- to just throw them away. Little things like that matter.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ben Carey

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »
I forgot to mention this in my prior response, but Kentwool makes the wool that is used for Smart Wool socks :)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
I'm buying some of these socks if this thread makes it to 2 pages.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
Terry,

On the off chance the thread doesn't cooperate PM me your mailing address and I will send you a pair.

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Chris Shaida

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »
Just trying to get it past 2 pages! and also, on the advice of Dr Wellmon, I changed pairs every round during the 100hh and they and that worked like a charm (although I probably should have been wearing kentwool underwear as well, but that's a hole nother story...)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
All socks wear out. If they don't, you have a sock trophy case in your closet.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 08:09:29 PM »
Go buy some socks already!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back