News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bob_Huntley

Rain, the Crosby/A.T.&T an Pebble Beach
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:35:41 PM »

Oh for some old time weather at the Crosby. We had our first significant measurement over the weekend for the first time since 2012.

I guess prayers must work because there was a State -wide exhortation by the clergy to do so.

Bob

Bruce Katona

Re: Rain, the Crosby/A.T.&T an Pebble Beach
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 03:48:28 PM »
The Clambake is a right of passage for those of us who live in places where golf in February almost never happens; as is the Masters which bodes the sign that Spring may finally be upon us.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 03:49:57 PM »
Bob,

How can this be?  I was under the impression that prayer was strictly prohibited by CA law along the coastline for three miles seaward and 5 miles in.  Perhaps you meant that CA's indigenous people performed their traditional (and inoffensive) rain dance and Mother Nature, pleased with their more harmonious lifestyles, obliged.

I do remember a parched summer in Ohio, maybe 1964, when many Catholic parishes dedicated Mass and prayers for rain one Sunday.  Not a cloud in the sky, we went out that hot afternoon for an extremely rare matinee (Mary Poppins) and it was raining dogs and cats when we came out.  Don't recall if that was the end of the drought, but some 50 years later, I remember that day in clear detail (full matinee price was $0.50, half of which came from my $0.50 weekly allowance).

Notwithstanding the terrible plight of your great state, here is an excerpt from a recent WSJ article on the subject:

"After a deluge late in 2012, 800,000 acre-feet of melted snowpack was flushed into the San Francisco Bay. Regulators worried that reservoirs could overflow if the heavy precipitation continued. Yet they didn't want to harm the smelt by pumping more water south. All that flushed-out water would come in handy now.

"California also has limited surface water storage because green groups oppose building new reservoirs or expanding existing ones like the Shasta Dam. Construction could disturb species's habitats. Reservoirs also encourage population growth, which is one reason many northern California communities rely heavily on groundwater."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303947904579341280943894944

Here's rooting for rainy but playable conditions this week.  It is one non-major I really enjoy watching.  There really is no place like the Monterey Peninsula.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »
The weather looks decent, a 30% chance of showers on Thursday and a 10% on Saturday and Sunday.  Looks like it's going to be in the high 50's.

Even with the drought, Pebble and the courses on the 17 mile drive are on a special water system that provides non potable water to the courses.  I believe its been in place for quite a few years.

There was a very dire article over the weekend from the NY Times regarding the drought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/02/us/severe-drought-has-us-west-fearing-worst.html?_r=0

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »
Bob H. -

If the Crosby/AT&T doesn't bring enough rain, maybe the San Francisco City Championship, which starts this weekend and ends the 1st weekend in March, will help out.  ;)

By the way, since the greens at Harding are being re-grassed over the winter, the Presidio GC is stepping in as the lead course of the tournament.

DT 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »
More TV time for MPCC !   Long range predictions are trending towards El Nino later in the year. That should help.  But the 90 day forecast is strongly anti-rain.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
Wouldn't it be great if there was a match over at CP like the one many years ago with Hogan, etc.

No doubt we all would want Phil to be part of it - who else would you guys want to be part of it?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
Wouldn't it be great if there was a match over at CP like the one many years ago with Hogan, etc.

No doubt we all would want Phil to be part of it - who else would you guys want to be part of it?

Jerry,

As long as the game and scores are reported correctly.

One book written about the match should be listed in the Fiction Department  of the library.

Bob

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:14:52 PM »
Here I am, an old man in a dry month, waiting for rain.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »
Here I am, an old man in a dry month, waiting for rain.

Nice! Don't let anyone ever tell you that poetry and gca don't go hand in hand. For me: this is the way a round ends, this is the way the rounds end, this is the way the round ends, not with a par but a bogey.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Bob: I saw an interview with Venturi and he had said that much of what has been written about the match was true.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »
Bob: I saw an interview with Venturi and he had said that much of what has been written about the match was true.

Much

Lou_Duran

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »

Much

Bob Huntley or anyone else with superior information, what did the author get wrong in the book?  Materially in the same zip code?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
Lou,

Go to our Search engine and you may find a post on exactly that.

Bob

Kevin_Reilly

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 03:35:08 PM »

Go there on Wednesday (tomorrow) and you'll see a lot of great matches.  It's one of the busiest days of the year at CPC.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »

Jerry,

As long as the game and scores are reported correctly.

One book written about the match should be listed in the Fiction Department  of the library.

Bob

Bob --

It's good to know that someone somewhere is, like me, strictly insistent on the truth, in works of "non-fiction."

You'll enjoy this passage from an interview, which I read two hours ago, with Peter Hessler (a staff writer for The New Yorker; a good one, too).

Interviewer: "One thing running through a reader’s mind when they pick up a nonfiction book like this ["Among Schoolchildren," by Tracy Kidder] is, is it really true? How can I trust that this all happened exactly so?

Hessler: "You can’t make anything up with this genre. It has to be totally accurate to the best of your abilities. The only exception I make is where I change names for political reasons, or in River Town I put one person in a different part of the town – but I explained in the author’s note that it was because of political sensitivities.  I changed the name of one character in Oracle Bones, but I explained why.  If you’re changing anything for such reasons, you have to tell the reader. But otherwise, it has to be accurate, and I think that’s non-negotiable. The story is never going to be as dramatic or perfect as a novel is going to be. But you work with what you have. That’s your pact with the reader."

You can find the whole interview at http://www.fivebooks.com/interviews/peter-hessler-on-narrative-nonfiction.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

mike_beene

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 06:58:53 PM »
The outcome of the rain dance  is largely dependent upon timing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back