News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Adam Warren

Push/Pull Carts
« on: February 03, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
Before the great disappearing act the site played, we had started a discussion on push carts.  I had asked for some recommendations about a cart such as: 4 wheel vs. 3 wheel, Clicgear vs. Sun Mountain vs. the others (currently leaning Sun Mountain), and some of the features involved in each.  Wanted to see what you guys found useful/helpful, etc.  I currently usually only walk in spring and fall and I carry, but its getting to the point with my bum knee and some other things that carrying is not going to be an option anymore. 

Also, we started moving into a conversation about the use of carts at your club, etc.  I also had someone mention to me via PM about some other walking information that I wanted to see if they could follow up with me on that. 

Fire away guys!

BCowan

Re: Push/Pull Carts
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »

My dad uses a Sun Mountain, mom needs a motorized cartTek to help make it up hills and the morning dew.  you can't hear them, and they break apart very easily. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
I have owned both a Sun Mt. Speed Cart and the Clicgear.  For my money, there is NO comparison; the Clicgear is by far the superior product.  Three major points of difference:

1. Heavyweight construction but not heavier weight.  The Clicgear is just simply a more durable product.
2. Folded size.   The Clicgear folds down to a 2' square, and can stay in your trunk all the time easily.  The Sun Mt. is like having an extra staff bag in the car.  In my Civic, I can have the Clicgear and two bags in the trunk with no problem.
3. Tipping over.  The Clicgear simply does not tip, ever.  The Sun Mt. tips when you let it roll down the hill on its own and when you are using the umbrella, it is a constant problem.

In fairness, the pushing resistance of the Sun Mt. IF you have the pneumatic tires is a bit easier.  But those tires bring up a whole new set of issues.  If you get the solid tires on the Sun Mt., even this becomes a wash.

Like you, I still prefer to carry.  I use my Clicgear only when it is likely to rain or when I'm going to need to shed layers during the round, as is often the case this time of year.  I've told my wife that when I hit 65 (I'm 61 now) I'm getting a motorized cart.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Lou_Duran

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
A professor teaching an introductory course in psychopathology to an auditorium size class quipped that the only bad thing he had ever heard of regarding masturbation was that one doesn't meet interesting people while doing it.

And that has been the experience pushing my Clicgear.  I've had it for three or four years, and have used it so little that each time I try to open it, it's like learning to do it for the first time.  Very few people I play with want to walk.  And quite a few courses I play either don't allow push carts or, if they do, only if rented from their fleet.  And if one travels a lot, specially with other people, they're inconvenient.  Before dropping $200-$400, the walking golfer might want to do his due diligence.  I am thinking about carrying a half set in a small walking bag this year.   

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »
Lou

Sorry for your lack of courses that allow you to bring your own.  It is sad many courses don't allow them in the states.  All it takes is a few people inquiring and they will have a 2nd look.  Your the first I have heard of that wasn't happy with his trolley to that extent.  Sunday bags are cool!

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 04:34:05 PM »
I have a click-gear and found it a great push cart.  That being said, I find I usually sling my bag now more often than push.  I find It actually more tiring to push the cart than carry.  I've never been a person to load my bag anyway. 

On a trip to Ireland, when we didn't take caddies they had motorized push carts.  Sometimes, even the caddies when double bagging would carry one, and use the motorized push for the others.  If I had to buy another, I'd liken something like the low profile motorized carts ben posted pics of.

Lastly, I really wish my home course would fit some of our carts with a 4 bag set up.  Then a foresome can alternate who walks, and the other people get to walk, free of any bag or cart.  Almost like having a caddie.

IMHO.

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »

A great alternative to any push/pull cart.

Adam Warren

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »
It is interesting the difference of responses you get in one week...

Adam Warren

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »
Also, one thing I have heard quite often is that Clicgear really only works well with cart bags and not stand bags.  There is supposedly some wiggle or some rub with the Clicgear if you have a stand bag on them.  Sun Mountain works well with both.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
Sun Mountain Micro. All the advantages of a push cart, none of the disadvantages of the three wheel variety.

IMO don't even consider three wheelers. Three wheelers for off roading were stupid. Three wheeler push carts for playing in the wind on dunes are stupid too.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brian Finn

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 05:41:03 PM »
Also, one thing I have heard quite often is that Clicgear really only works well with cart bags and not stand bags.  There is supposedly some wiggle or some rub with the Clicgear if you have a stand bag on them.  Sun Mountain works well with both.

I have had a clicgear for a few years.  I think it is outstanding, and I have never had a problem with any of my stand bags (sun mountain, taylor made, callaway).  The clicgear is well made and durable, folds up easily to a rather compact size, and has several 'bells and whistles' (few of which matter to me).  I've used sun mountain push carts also, and have found them solid as well, but personally prefer clicgear. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »

I have had a clicgear for a few years.  I think it is outstanding, and I have never had a problem with any of my stand bags (sun mountain, taylor made, callaway).  The clicgear is well made and durable, folds up easily to a rather compact size, and has several 'bells and whistles' (few of which matter to me).  I've used sun mountain push carts also, and have found them solid as well, but personally prefer clicgear. 

Have you used them in the wind and had them blow over?
Have you parked them on the side of a dune with little or no wind and have them topple over?
I have. Three wheelers make no sense.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brian Finn

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »

Have you parked them on the side of a dune with little or no wind and have them topple over?

I have used it in high winds and never had a problem.  I have never had it topple on the side of a dune or hill, although I can certainly see that happening on some terrain. 

I like to carry my own bag often as well, and depending on where I am playing and my mood, I use one of the following bags, all of which I think are great:  Ping moonlite (light, no stand, double strap), Titleist Sunday (like the one Tim posted, single strap), Sun Mountain 3.5 or SwiftX, Callaway hyperlite 3.0. 

New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 07:53:54 AM »

False.

I have a Sun Mt 3.5 carry bag (still prefer to carry most of my rounds) and it works great on the Clicgear cart.  Worked fine on the Sun Mt Speed Cart as well.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 07:57:20 AM »
Also, one thing I have heard quite often is that Clicgear really only works well with cart bags and not stand bags.  There is supposedly some wiggle or some rub with the Clicgear if you have a stand bag on them.  Sun Mountain works well with both.

I have had a clicgear for a few years.  I think it is outstanding, and I have never had a problem with any of my stand bags (sun mountain, taylor made, callaway).  The clicgear is well made and durable, folds up easily to a rather compact size, and has several 'bells and whistles' (few of which matter to me).  I've used sun mountain push carts also, and have found them solid as well, but personally prefer clicgear.  

The Clicgear doesn't topple over in the wind, ever, even with the umbrella in the holder attachment.  Period.

If you park anything on a slope so severe that it tips over w/o being smart enough to park it at a 90* angle to the slope and use the brake, the problem is with the operator's IQ and not the cart.  You know, since presumably you are either going to have to go up or down from the slope you are on anyway...

"Three wheelers make no sense."  Garland, you really don't have to say stuff like this, do you?  I mean, you KNOW it isn't true, you KNOW that probably 50% or more of rounds in the UK are played using a 3 wheel cart and have been for decade upon decade now, and you KNOW that lots and lots of intelligent people at courses all over the US use them.  Why do you insist on tossing doofus bombs like this in perfectly innocent, rational threads?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:37:28 PM by A.G._Crockett »

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »
Don't undersand Bailey's comments.  They certainly don't ring true in my experience. 

I have used a Clicgear (don't know which series) for a few years now.  No issues in terms of carry bags fitting, tipping over, flat tyres, folding into a reasonable space in the boot etc etc.  The only problem I have encountered is the brake cable can get worn down when folding/unfolding the trolley on cement if one isn't careful.  The far bigger issue is with clubs indiscriminately directing these (smart) 3 wheelers away from areas near greens toward wide paths thus causing added walks.  I don't understand why the 3 wheelers are lumped together with all trolleys - especially the heavy electric trolleys, but this is a pain in the ass which is completely unnecessary. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
I play golf in the Columbia River Gorge, which is legendary for it's winds. If others haven't had the wind tip over their three wheel carts, then that is a commentary on where, or perhaps when, they play golf, not on the stability of the carts. I played Tetherow once with a forecaddie. He thought he was being helpful by bringing my cart up to near the green and parking it on the side of greenside mound. That is the only time it tipped over from being on a slope without wind.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »

A great alternative to any push/pull cart.

I picked up a little Mizuno version like this. I agree that it is a vast improvement to anything I've used with legs, a double strap or wheels.

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 05:13:01 PM »
Count me towards the Clicgear crowd. Best Push Cart I ever had. Quick to assemble, easy to transport, durable and the best stability. And yes, I tried them in high winds and on slopes. It (almost) never fell over, quite the opposite to every two-wheeler I personally had or had to use on other courses. I can't count how often I had to pick up my golf clubs after it tumbled over. Luckily no club broke so far, but whenever I can bring my Clicgear, I do it...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »
Count me towards the Clicgear crowd. Best Push Cart I ever had. Quick to assemble, easy to transport, durable and the best stability. And yes, I tried them in high winds and on slopes. It (almost) never fell over, quite the opposite to every two-wheeler I personally had or had to use on other courses. I can't count how often I had to pick up my golf clubs after it tumbled over. Luckily no club broke so far, but whenever I can bring my Clicgear, I do it...

The point is that the Sun Mountain Micro Cart is a four wheeler, without the instability that allows the occasional topple over that happen with the three wheelers, just like four wheel ATVs are more stable than three wheel ATVs that were a terrible idea.

The Micro also folds simply, quickly, and smaller than Clickgear, etc. I'm gone long before my buddies get their Clickgears stored for travel.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:19:51 PM by GJ Bailey »

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
''The point is that the Sun Mountain Micro Cart is a four wheeler, without the instability that allows the occasional topple over that happen with the three wheelers, just like four wheel ATVs are more stable that three wheel ATVs that were a terrible idea.''

First of all, I have never seen a 3 wheel trolley take a spill!  I do not play golf in the winds of Wyoming or your neck of the woods.  Nor do I think it is wise to put a trolley on a side of a dune.  Then you compare a ATV which it's front wheel is controlled by steering handles vs a Trolley's whose front wheel is a fixed straight with no pivoting (the trolleys i have seen).  Companies wouldn't build 3 wheel trolley's if they took spills often!  I can't believe I have wasted time trying to reason.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »
    First of all, I have never seen a 3 wheel trolley take a spill!...

So two people on this thread have seen this, and you haven't. If you haven't played the course, then don't comment on it!

People also let their carts run ahead of them. Three wheelers have a tendency to spill then too.

Adam Warren

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 09:10:49 PM »

The point is that the Sun Mountain Micro Cart is a four wheeler, without the instability that allows the occasional topple over that happen with the three wheelers, just like four wheel ATVs are more stable than three wheel ATVs that were a terrible idea.

The Micro also folds simply, quickly, and smaller than Clickgear, etc. I'm gone long before my buddies get their Clickgears stored for travel.

How much experience do you have with the 3 wheelers?  Just curious as I had heard this about them before, but had also heard the "handling" of a 4 wheel was not as good as the 3 wheel.  I am a big fan of the way the Micro Cart folds up.  Going against them besides the "handling" issue is that I have heard the small wheels could be an issue with them.

I have a pretty large trunk I suppose, I have an Impala, so its not a major issue, but wonder if the Sun Mountain with it staying on the bag or folding another cart up and putting that in their as well is a better space saver.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 09:18:44 AM »

How much experience do you have with the 3 wheelers?  Just curious as I had heard this about them before, but had also heard the "handling" of a 4 wheel was not as good as the 3 wheel.  I am a big fan of the way the Micro Cart folds up.  Going against them besides the "handling" issue is that I have heard the small wheels could be an issue with them.

I have a pretty large trunk I suppose, I have an Impala, so its not a major issue, but wonder if the Sun Mountain with it staying on the bag or folding another cart up and putting that in their as well is a better space saver.

Adam,
I think we're splitting hairs here.  Bigger wheels roll more easily than small, one wheel on the front steers more easily than two, four wheels are more stable than three, pneumatic tires roll more easily than solid tires, and so on.  The Micro is a good product, the Clicgear is a good product, and there are many others out there that are good products.

I used a Sun Mt for a number of years and was very happy with it.  I ended up with a Clicgear quite by accident, and after using it twice sold the Sun Mt on Craigslist.  I've been using the Clicgear for 4 years now and it is an incredibly well-engineered and well-made product.

For the record, the Clicgear has NEVER turned over; not once.  Not on a downhill when I let it go by itself, not when I parked it on a slope, and not in high winds.  I've had my double-canopy umbrella turn inside out and come apart while attached to the handle, and the Clicgear never moved.

I drive a Civic hybrid that has a relatively small trunk.  I leave the Clicgear in the trunk all the time because it takes up so little space when folded up.  It unfolds in 30 seconds, and folds back up in 30 seconds; it takes longer to attach or remove my golf bag than it does to fold or unfold the cart. 

I'd add that Clicgear makes an array of attachments that are good stuff, too.  I have an umbrella handle that is a little bit longer and on which the angle can be changed, and I've got mitts that velcro to the handle.  They are insulated and waterproof; I put a Hot Hands in each one and it is unbelievable how good they are.  Paid $20 for them, and it's the best $20 I've spent on golf in a long time.  They make cigar holders, GPS holders, beverage containers, seats that attach to the leg of the cart, and on and on.

All of that said, there's other good stuff out there, and at the end of the day any of them will do a nice job.

With that, I'll stop posting on this thread.  I'm a hopeless golf nerd, but talking about my push cart like it is an important part of my life or is genetically engineered or uses nano technology or something pushes the envelope beyond what I can stand.

Paul Jones

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 03:53:09 PM »
I have a Sun Mountain v1 and love it. With that said... I turned 40 in November and bought a Kangaroo. My wife and others laughed at me, saying I'm suppose by motorcycle, convertible, etc...

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back