News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Homerphobia. The great home clubs of GCA.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 05:45:52 PM »
What about Mountain Lake?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 06:28:09 PM »
Wait til the uvula bending starts for Medinah #1. A Doak redo at a forgotten course at Medinah?  The slobbering won't end at the Camel Bunker, that's for sure!  In fact, I hereby rule that JR Potts shall host a gca play day next July. So ordered.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JC Jones

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 06:35:28 PM »
Yes, judge, but will it balance to total disdain for #3?  Is there a course GCA.com hates more that is not a Fazio or Nicklaus?  Maybe East Lake.

I agree though, the combination of hatred for #3 and Doak being involved means #1 will soon be a GCA.com darling.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 06:36:47 PM »
One word and everyone usually knows where we're talking about....

Cricket

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »
Shouldn;t the title of the thread be Homerphilic ir Homerphilia?  As in "We love our home" instead of "we don't like our home" as Homerphilic implies?

In the Greek doesn't "philic" = "love" and "phobic" means "doesn't like"?

Thanks Jay.  I missed this because I have been golfing. Strangely enough I have always had negative feelings about philias. As such being overly in love with your home course at the expense of droning on and on is clearly a negative.

Steve Lang

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 09:36:34 PM »
 8) Ne BUSHWOOD?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

C. Squier

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »
No Chicago club receives a bigger slob fest on here than Olympia Fields.  It's a really good club made into a world's best by the promotion on this site.

There is no such thing as bad press. Thanks for the mention.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 11:01:24 PM »
Olympia Fields just may be the only course that I have ever played that is far better than I thought it would be. I blame Furyk for lowering my expectations.

JR Potts

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 11:32:39 PM »

No Chicago club receives a bigger slob fest on here than Olympia Fields.  It's a really good club made into a world's best by the promotion on this site.

Isn't that the "Potts calling the kettle black?"  Cough, cough, Medinah, cough, cough...

Ken

No. Medinah gets crucified on this site.  I'll admit, while I believe what I wrote to be true, I trolled Clint with my post.

I will host a course1 event at the earliest opportunity... but it probably won't be July of 2014.  Medinah does not suffer from a lack of play... thus making a big event difficult.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »
Vis a vis Medinah vs. Olympia Fields, I will say that I've always been a little mystified by the apparent revulsion of some to Medinah #3 and I've always been surprised by the underwhelming reaction to Olympia Fields North.  I always wrote it off to the fact that I was a longtime member of OFCC and the resulting homer bias, but I've always had a warm spot in my heart for #3 because of its brawny parkland character and its storied tournament history.  In fact, I took Brad Klein out to Olympia back in 2002 for his maiden voyage and when we got to the 14th hole, he said, "does anybody seriously think Medinah #3 is a better course?"  "Yeah, I do," was my instinctive reply.  

Now I will readily admit that I knew next to nothing about gca at the time and that my opinion has changed because of what I've learned, but I will still admit to loving Medinah #3.  I also enjoy playing #1 and #2, but always marveled at how they were treated, from a maintenance standpoint, like red-headed step children.  It will be fun to play Doak's #1 and I will fearlessly predict that the majority of guests will now prefer playing that course, because it will usually be played from tees that measure around 6500 yards and will not be nearly as difficult as #3.  This was our experience at Olympia, that guests wound up preferring playing the South course, because it was more manageable.  The South course can now be played at a beastly length, especially on the front nine, so you can rack up some big numbers, but you have to decide to head to the back tees.  I suspect #1 will have some opportunities for mischief as well, but here's hoping that it is an easier and more pleasurable experience from the members tees.

Aside from the individual gca merits/demerits of any of the courses at these two clubs, I can tell you that the experience as a guest at either club is something that one will not soon forget.  Both places offer a sort of Great Gatsby experience that is hard to find elsewhere.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 12:00:31 PM »
I think with the more people that see it and with the two new holes that will be ready soon...Diamante

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
Terry - good post. I'm not a very good golfer, and so (ironically? fittingly?) I've never minded playing hard courses, because the challenges I face are the same wherever I play. But I'm curious - what is your typical game? What tees do you tend to play, what do you find the most challenging aspects of courses like Medinah and OF?
Peter

Terry Lavin

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »
Terry - good post. I'm not a very good golfer, and so (ironically? fittingly?) I've never minded playing hard courses, because the challenges I face are the same wherever I play. But I'm curious - what is your typical game? What tees do you tend to play, what do you find the most challenging aspects of courses like Medinah and OF?
Peter

I'm a choppy 11, but I hit the ball straight (if not far) and I can putt.  The really long courses are a grind for me but if I take it easy off the tee and don't try to muscle the ball, I can score because I seldom get into the main trouble off the tee, if it is in the form of fairway bunkers.  As a result, the long parkland course doesn't kill me, but I wind up playing "old man's golf", hit it short of the fairway bunkers, short of the green, pitch and try to make a putt or two, but avoid more than a double or two.  The real challenge at Olympia and Medinah is presented with the shots into the greens.  If you are long at either course, you're in a bunch of trouble.  At Medinah, you also have the specter of Lake Kadijah, which has to be carried on three of the par-3 holes.  I find the second hole a very difficult hole.  I usually play it around 175 yards, with all carry and the green is just over the bulkhead.  You can bail out a bit to the right, but it's a very difficult shot for somebody who doesn't hit long irons dependably.  The fact that it's the second hole doesn't help either, because the "big course" jitters take a few holes to dissipate.

David Davis

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 03:21:24 PM »
Without numbers numbers it's all rhetoric...

Even we have 5 making us by far the the predominant powerhouse in Continental Europe! On top of that at least 3 contributors.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »
Terry, thanks. That's interesting. While I'm just guessing, I'd guess that a goodly proportion of travelling golfers - golfers serious enough about their games to both play a lot of golf and to travel, either to retail meccas or great private clubs - have a handicap somewhere around yours, give or take a stroke or two. You seem to manage touch tracks just fine, and thus are able to enjoy them; I'd imagine many of these travelling golfers could similarly manage just fine. So why the hard knocks against hard courses? There must be something else at work too

Peter

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 11:04:34 PM »
Back to the original subject of the thread, I'm going to make an early call for Sand Valley for a public course.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:27:34 PM by Morgan Clawson »

mike_malone

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »
Over the years I bet that no club had more gca members than Rolling Green in Springfield , Pa. As a result I think it received quite a bit of exposure.
AKA Mayday

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »
I am new to GCA and had never heard of Rolling Green..
I have never been fortunate enough to play a Flynn course. 
I went to the website and it looks fantastic...
Is it close to Philly.. I will be up there this summer

Bill Seitz

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 12:50:34 PM »
Without numbers numbers it's all rhetoric...

Even we have 5 making us by far the the predominant powerhouse in Continental Europe! On top of that at least 3 contributors.

I count at least nine for Kingsley that I've played with, plus myself.  So that's 10.  I'm pretty sure there are some others that don't participate much here anymore, but I'm not sure how many.  

BHoover

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Brookside in Columbus has at least 5-6 GCA members (I used to be one of them).  I don't think another club in central Ohio has such a high concentration.  Not sure about other clubs in Ohio.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 01:01:39 PM »
Brookside in Columbus has at least 5-6 GCA members (I used to be one of them).  I don't think another club in central Ohio has such a high concentration.  Not sure about other clubs in Ohio.

It is not how many members a club have that participate, it is how many of those members bore you to death talking about the place.  I was so happy that none of my fellow Dismal members ever mentioned that the Red won best new course by Golf Magazine.  Even I get tired about reading about the greatness of the Doak.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »
The following are Deal members, I am putting initials just incase someones wife doesn't know, a friend has been a member at Sunningdale for several years and his senior management team is still unaware!

MC, NAF, GJ, MW, CD, TM, RP, SK, TH, DH, AT, PG, WS, DM & KC.

I'm sure there are one or two more.
Cave Nil Vino

George Pazin

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 01:18:02 PM »
No mention of Painswick?

I personally feel that homerphobia is an important part of gca, both on this site and elsewhere - everywhere, really. It's that obsession with minutiae that really fosters true discussion. You just have to be able to take that into account when reading someone's thoughts.

Which is also an important part of gca, both on this site and elsewhere, everywhere...

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Terry Lavin

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »
No mention of Painswick?

I personally feel that homerphobia is an important part of gca, both on this site and elsewhere - everywhere, really. It's that obsession with minutiae that really fosters true discussion. You just have to be able to take that into account when reading someone's thoughts.

Which is also an important part of gca, both on this site and elsewhere, everywhere...

As usual, Mr. Pazin is correct.  The spirit of homerism reflects a passion for the subject that brings our disparate group together.  It's a rallying cry of sorts.  Sometimes, it's admittedly amusing to have somebody cheering about great architecture when they belong to a club that as a course that is not anything near a good example of great architecture, but all the same, it fosters bonhomie of a different kind.  The minutiae that many of us spout in a favorable way about our home course may not be particularly persuasive when compared to some of the great works that we greatly admire, but it reflects a passion for the subject that is the raison d'etre of this site.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 01:42:10 PM »

It is not how many members a club have that participate, it is how many of those members bore you to death talking about the place.  I was so happy that none of my fellow Dismal members ever mentioned that the Red won best new course by Golf Magazine.  Even I get tired about reading about the greatness of the Doak.

A little part of me died when I read this post and realized even JK has been compromised.

The following are Deal members, I am putting initials just incase someones wife doesn't know, a friend has been a member at Sunningdale for several years and his senior management team is still unaware!

MC, NAF, GJ, MW, CD, TM, RP, SK, TH, DH, AT, PG, WS, DM & KC.

I'm sure there are one or two more.

And is it true JNCL was booted from the DSPS* for this thread? http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48931.0.html

C'mon guys let him back in -- he halted the thread well before the final score could even be imputed, much less tallied.  ;D

*Deal Subtle Promotion Society
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back