News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Best Public Course Split Fairway Holes
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »
Wow!  That thread title is really specific!

Yes, it is, but the combination of questionable architecture in Florida and great architecture I experienced yesterday got me thinking about this issue.  For me, a split fairway hole is a positive signal for me on several levels.  It shows:

1) The architect is trying to do something unconventional.
2) The architect is not dumbing down the course for public consumption.
3) The hole has multiple options.
4) The hole most likely has width.
5) The golfer is forced to show the world (or his playing partners, whichever inspires you more) what he or she is made of.

In addition, a split fairway on a public track always piques my interest in that course.  When I ask, "what did you think of Dogtrack National?" and somebody says, "well, Fart Hills isn't my favorite architect, but... ...there is a neat split fairway par four on number 7..." I'm immediately more interested in the place.

So...what are your favorite split-fairway holes on public courses?

I'll start things off strong:

4, 14 and 15 at World Woods Pine Barrens
5, 10, and 15 at Morgan Hill
3, 8 and 11 at Lederach
5 and 14 at Mill Creek
7 at Byrncliff
17 at Seven Oaks
16 at Inniscrone
16 at Links at Hiawatha
11 at Streamsong (Red)
15 at Canterbury Woods
10 at Kettle Brook

Thoughts?

"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ronald Montesano

Re: Best Public Course Split Fairway Holes
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 12:13:14 AM »
How is #7 at Byrncliff a split fairway hole?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt Glore

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:20:46 AM »
I think both 8 and 9 at Black Wolf Run River Course are split fairways.  I only played the course once.

The Bluffs on Thompson Creek (now open to public play) has a great #9 true split

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:25:30 AM »
Respectfully, let's create another definition of public golf or non-private public access golf?  North of $150 a round is not really public golf, is it?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »
#4 at Bodega Bay (CA) could make the list for the worst public course split fairway holes. ;)

Scott Sander

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 09:03:12 AM »
#11 at Trophy Club (Lebanon, Ind.)

The course gets a lot of love here for its par 5's, and justifiably so.

The split fairway on #11 develops for the second shot, not the first.  

The left line gives you a straightforward uphill approach, but it's very likely to be short-sided with difficult bunkers to carry.

The right line is completely different and tough for me to describe - you do not have to contend with the sharply uphill approach, but the fairway is a constant climb that in the last 100 yards is almost "convex" (bulges out toward the sky), leaving you with an uphill stance to a green that is actually even with or possibly below you.  Too far back and you'll have a comfortable distance but it'll be blind.  The green is wide open from that direction, but it's also very deep - difficult to gauge the weight.

Just a delight.   To me.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:05:25 AM »
13 at Old Silo in Mt. Sterling, KY, a short par 5, has a very wide fairway with a waste area full of sand, broken rough, and railroad ties right down the middle of it.

I don't think it's an especially strategic hole. There's no real benefit to being on one side of the waste area versus the other, and big hitters can blow it right over the top of the hazard and leave a very short approach. But it does make the tee shot interesting, as a little miss off the tee can make par a tough score while anyone in the fairway should have a reasonable shot at a 4. It's a fun hole.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »
The 10th hole at Forest Dunes is a great split fairway hole.  Because of the angle of the hole, playing to the right side fairway plays a lot narrower and a bit awkward than the left side of the fairway which is much wider but leaves a longer shot.  Plus with the fairway bunker bisecting the two fairways, you can make playing to that left side of the fairway much more dangerous if you try to cut off more than you can handle

The 4th hole at Cobb's Creek has great potential too but is in some serious need of tree trimming down the right hand side of fairway  

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »
The course isn't currently operational, but the 18th at the Daufuskie Island Melrose Course was fun.  Split fairway along the Calibogue Sound.  While I think it's unlikely, I would love to see them make that a successful venture.  It was always a fun day taking the ferry over and playing a cool little track.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 09:51:24 AM »
Orchard Creek GC,  Paul Cowley's design in Altamont NY.

#14 is a drivable par 4 of 241 to 270 yards and the fairway split happens about 55 yards from the front of the green. Low side (r) puts the green 15' above your head, but you can safely hit an iron to 40 or so yards short of it. High side is narrow, only 15 yards wide, and the green is protected by a bunker short and left, and a creek, long and right. You need to be very sure of yourself if you take this route as only the smallest of fades or draws, or a very straight shot, will 'work'.

Fun hole.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Nigel Islam

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »
#11 at Trophy Club (Lebanon, Ind.)

The course gets a lot of love here for its par 5's, and justifiably so.

The split fairway on #11 develops for the second shot, not the first.  

The left line gives you a straightforward uphill approach, but it's very likely to be short-sided with difficult bunkers to carry.

The right line is completely different and tough for me to describe - you do not have to contend with the sharply uphill approach, but the fairway is a constant climb that in the last 100 yards is almost "convex" (bulges out toward the sky), leaving you with an uphill stance to a green that is actually even with or possibly below you.  Too far back and you'll have a comfortable distance but it'll be blind.  The green is wide open from that direction, but it's also very deep - difficult to gauge the weight.

Just a delight.   To me.

Scott I made a 3 from that blind shot with a wedge one time! I get up to the green, and I'm bummed because I pured a shot that went over the back. I couldn't tell my shot had gone in the hole.

The Pete Dye course in French Lick has a dual fairway hole par five #14 (sort of public)

Alex Miller

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 10:45:15 AM »
#3 at Rustic Canyon is a great hole, and I've seen people choose the left, right, and over option many times.

#9 at Oak Quarry was also one of my favorite holes there and provides a risky split fairway option.

Brian Finn

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »
I've always liked #13 on Bethpage Red. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

jonathan_becker

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
The par 4 8th at Barnbougle Dunes.    However, into the wind it's a par 5

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 11:38:40 AM »
The par 5 #2 hole at the Quarry at Giants Ridge, you can go to the left and make it a 3 shot par 5 or take a short cut on the right and go for it in 2 over a large quarry.

Just a great golf hole on a very good golf course which if it was located anywhere other than the hinterlands of northern Minnesota, would in my opinion be a lock for top 100 Modern.

Michael Blake

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
3) The hole has multiple options.

John,

For me this seems to be a myth.
Every split fairway hole I've played there was one very clear option, and not much of a reason to take the other 'option.'  No temptation.

One example is the 11th at Lederach that you cite.  I've played 100 rounds there and I've never seen anyone intentionally play the longer route to the left, around the bunker complex--even before they filled in the swampy area short and right around the corner.

I don't think #8 there is a split fairway.  Just a real wide one.

The 16th at Inniscrone may be the exception for me, but not off the tee.  Everyone seems to play down the left side.  The right side fairway becomes an 'option' when someone hits a short tee shot to the left fairway and is left with a very heroic shot into the green.  They have an option to play safe and simply advance the ball down the right fairway and be left with a short third shot as an approach.  I remember discussing this hole with Doug and Redanman at Powell's St. Martin's outing.  We all had different opinions of it.

Perhaps I need to see more examples.

Hope you're enjoying your new life in Florida.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
Old Silo, Forest Dunes and Trophy club, all good holes. Also, #18 at Birdsfoot in PA.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »
Wintonbury Hills # 6

Bill Buthorn

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »
13 at Devils Thumb
A course I have never seen mentioned here.  Outside the small town of Delta CO., a delightful golf course, in a setting that makes one think of the moon.  Makes the AZ desert look like a rain forest, well almost anyway.  The golf course is very strategic, with fun options on most of the holes.  A very fun play.

13 is a shortish par four.  The heroic route gives big boppers a chance to reach the tiny tilted green.  Mere mortals play along a ridge and are left with a mid to short iron from on top of the ridge down to the still tiny green.  The failed hero is left with a shot from a tight lie or adobe hard pan to a green that is above his head.  I am not sure who the architect is, but he or she did a terrific job of finding holes in the natural terrain.  Thirteen is just one of several.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
I've always liked #13 on Bethpage Red. 

I played it once, it confounded me, I'd love to play it ten times in a row, to finally figure it out.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Norbert P

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
  Billy B,  Welcome to GCA and great pick on an unknown gem of a hole and course.  I went for the lower left as I was a traveller and couldn't imagine passing up the opportunity.  It also has a diabolic green with a devilishly small upper tier.  Is that the hole where you have the option to ride a cart for two holes? It's a Rick Phelps design, btw.        

http://www.devilsthumbgolfclub.com/course/

#9 at Stone Creek near Oregon City has some gambling interest as a split bender.  
#10 at Apache Stronghold is strong.  Lightning bolt of a bunker down the middle.
#16 Bandon Dunes is world class

#9 at Bandon Dunes could be a great one with advent of old practice facility.     (Think #14 "Long" @ St. Andrews Old)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:06:25 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tim Pitner

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »
Devil's Thumb is a Matt Ward favorite and he mentioned it regularly, although Matt hasn't been around in awhile so not everyone would know that.

Staying in Colorado, #3 at Murphy Creek is a good split fairway hole; #13 at Heritage at Westmoor is pretty good; #18 at Riverdale Dunes has some merit, although it's my least favorite hole on the course. 

Mike Wagner

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »
#12 Talking Stick North

Bill Buthorn

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »
When I used the search box to see if Devils Thumb had been mentioned, I did not get any hits.  I have been reading the site for several years, and do not recall any mention, but my memory is fallible at best.  

It is the course where you can use a cart to go up and down the hill, I believe at 13 and 14.  I liked the idea.  It makes it possible to walk, even with bad knees and sore hips.

Slag, your description of the green is spot on.  Thanks.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
Bill,

Here's one from '01:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,5026.0.html

As you probably know, you must do searches from the Discussion Group page.  Go there - just enter-  Devil's Thumb  -nothing else, and you'll find 20 or so entries.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back