News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bielawa

Re: What's The Most You HAVE Paid For Golf - and Where Was It?
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
1.  For only greens fees, Whistling Straits in May, 2012 for $233 I think (to carry my own bag)

2.  This is a loaded question.  Two-day trip with my then girlfriend to play Kiawah.  $400 + caddies for the round and one night stay + flight and lodging the night before.  So, probably $1,000 or so in cash, but I popped the question after the round, so if you throw in the ring and the costs of a wedding/marriage, God knows!!!  Ha Ha

3.  Most expensive caddy for me was at Sawgrass for $100 + tip, so it was more than $145, yes.  He was a great caddy but I still felt somewhat gouged at that price.

Peter Le

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »
1) A few years ago I cringed at the thought of paying 500 to play Pebble. After playing the 1st tee time on Valentine's Day with my wife walking the course, we felt we got "our money's worth." It also didn't hurt that the AT&T wrapped up the weekend prior and the course was in great shape.

compare that to,
2) Played Shadow Creek and did not feel as if I had "500 bucks worth of memories/fun/golf." It lived up to the feeling that you were the only person there, provided immaculate conditions, and showed off that it's the most amount of earth moved for a course...but I would rather play Pebble again (guess it takes 500 bucks to figure that out).

3) As part of a package, Punta Espada in the Dominican Republic was ~430 including caddie. Hands down one of the most scenic courses along the ocean/sea. I would go back in a heartbeat.
PL

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »
 £195.00 Muirfield

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 10:51:48 PM »
Pebble beach with my then girlfriend....picked up the tab for golf, caddie, two nights at the lodge, dinner at the 19th hole, & when I slipped a ring on her finger on the 18th at sunset....let's just say I may have been able to tee it up with Mr. Schultz at Augusta.

....worth every penny as we've celebrated 5 years, 2 baby girls, and have a memory that will last forever.

I'm sure Mr. Schultz would agree his round was worth every penny as well....I just wish mine was tax deductible!
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2013, 02:02:25 AM »
a) Like Steve Burrows $330AU for Kingston Heath

b) Hard to say, wehenever I travel just to play golf, I always play more than one course. Only one I can remember just for one course might have been Budersand which cost with travel, ferry and a few days accomodation maybe $400 US.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 02:39:27 AM »
A friend had to drop everything when Phil Mickleson invited him to play Cypress Point the following day, including private jet there.
Cave Nil Vino

Quinn Thompson

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 03:06:37 AM »
..."priciest" green fee was when I was 12 or so, when the old rangers at Evergreen Golf Club asked me for my ticket..."T'was Griffey card money," I told them...they winked and still demanded that 5 bucks....heartbreaking.

Furthest I've traveled for such nonsense...?....Same, same....

Greg Taylor

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2013, 04:58:44 AM »
Pebble seems to be the recurring theme here - and it's the same for me.

No caddie but I did get the snacks at the half way hut - $17 for peanuts, choc bar and a drink!

I always make a joke with my golf friends about how many Rolex watches we could have had rather than the golf trips.

Last count I think is three Rolex Submariners. And I all have materially to show for the £££ is a bunch of yardage charts!

But I'll take the golf and memories any day.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2013, 06:09:28 AM »
In 1997 I paid around 100 Irish pounds to play Portmarnock.  Also rented clubs there, which probably brought it up to around 120 Irish pounds.  We ended up playing the 3rd nine, too.  Can't recall the price.  Fun day, with rain, sun and wind: I still remember over half the holes on the championship course.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2013, 07:09:37 AM »
About five years ago I paid $260 to play No2 and that was one of those discounted deals through a guy who had a connection! All I know is we played and they didn't kick us off. I thought it was ridiculous to pay that much (pre redo and I had played there a few times already) but my wife said I should play as " how many times do youngest the chance?" So I went. Had a blast. Going rate was $350 or $400 then.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2013, 08:49:19 AM »
Paid $350. - Pinehurst #2

Tom,

I'm willing to pay more, but haven't been required to as of yet.
I'm very lucky, I usually get an industry break.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:53:06 AM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Matt Glore

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »
1. Whistling Straits course, $315 plus $40 for Caddie +$100 for Caddie Tip  -prime rates (weekend summer)

This could be fodder for another thread but has anyone paid in excess of $140 for caddie services?

Tim, I've played as an unaccompanied guest and have had to play with an asst pro. I was asked to pay for both my caddie and his = $250.

As someone posted after me, Kohler gets half the caddie fee, so they got 30 of the $60.  I was incorrect on the $40 caddie fee I do think its $60.  So then I tipped $80- total of $140.  He was a great caddie, the best I ever had by a long shot.  I don't agree that the club should get half the caddie fee.  Especially if its as high as $60.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2013, 09:19:42 AM »
Great question.

I think the highest I've ever paid was $175 plus $80 for the caddie this year at Harbour Town. Not sure I'd pay it again there. Probably going to play Shadow Creek in March, so that will be the new leader.

Can't think of a time I flew round trip to play one round, I would do it for the right place but the opportunity has never presented itself.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2013, 09:26:23 AM »
1) The Old course, 120 pounds... when the pound was worth 2.25 $ canadian. 3 times and it was worth every penny

2) St. Georges Golf Club in Toronto... 10 hours of driving, fuel, hotel. I went to a conference on golf architecture but the main reason for going was to see the golf course, It cost me 300 $ in all for being turned down at the proshop... I had everything planned with the club to walk the course only, but the message didn't get through... things happens in private club sometimes, no worries.... but no wonder why Montreal hate Toronto ;D

Jason Topp

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »
I hate watching people set hypothetical bars for themselves, so this one gets to the nitty gritty.

Please limit your responses to two:

a)  What's the highest green fee you've paid, and where was it?

b)  Think a while about this one -- what's the most you have spent to go play one round somewhere, including the travel and lodging, assuming the main purpose of the trip was to go and play that course.

1.  $500 - Shadow Creek

2.  I have had many trips where I played one round of golf but they all have had multiple purposes.  Probably the closest example to your question was when I flew to Japan, spent three days there and played Kawana.  There were other reasons for the trip but without the golf, I do not know if I would have gone.  I have no idea what it cost but it was a lot.  The green fee was not an important component of the cost.

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
A)  Whistling Straights, $250 for the round + $100 for the caddie

B) Most I have spent on a golf trip was probably the Kohler trip I referenced above.  Did the Straights and the Irish course and had a hotel in between.  

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2013, 09:51:48 AM »
A: $300-$325 for Pinehurst #2, Kiawah Ocean and a Charity Outing a Winged Foot, that has personally come out of my wallet.

B: I have never taken a flight for a single round, although there is a few places I would. I think my bill for the few days, plus gas, caddies, hotel and multiple rounds at Kiawah Ocean was probably the biggest.

Peter Pratt

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »
a. Probably Pinehurst #2 in 2002--$350 (?) as part of a package deal.
b. To play just one round, I drove 125 miles from my home to play Lost Dunes as an unaccompanied guest--$250 in 2009. Was greated at the door by my name and given locker next to Mike Ditka's.

David Davis

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »
Hard to limit your response to this question:

1. Pebble - 495 USD, Muirfield - 250 GBP (if I remember correctly about 6 years ago)

A friend of a friend from Germany just paid 48,000 euro in an auction for 4 days at the Master's and the chance to play a round of golf on the Monday after which was sponsored by Mercedes. That beats anything I would do.

2. Cypress Point - golf was free, but had planned to play on my last day in Cali before returning home to Amsterdam. My host told me 3 days before that it needed to be postponed by one day. Given the fact that he was 92 years old and my only connection there I wasn't going to miss it for anything. I called the airline and my ticket wasn't changeable, 850 USD later. I had a new ticket home. Played and gave the caddy 200 USD. Best time and most memorable golf day of my life, my host invited the club historian who's name I can't remember and Jim Langley to join us for lunch together with a couple other elderly members. In retrospect, I'd pay 10,000 USD for that in a heartbeat if I had it.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tom Allen

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2013, 09:58:03 AM »
$495 for Pebble, plus $75 for a caddy, I think, plus another $80 or so for tip.  So $600+.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
Bel Air for $600 plus caddie and pro to tag along...RHE

Eric Smith

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »
$500 Wynn Las Vegas

$1200 Seminole (18 holes, airfare + hotel)

John McCarthy

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2013, 10:04:32 AM »
Last summer paid a poor girl $200 to chase our carts in a six hour round.  She did not have raingear but was a trooper and the best caddy I had all last summer.  
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2013, 10:09:04 AM »
Pinehurst # 2 is also a recurring theme, at $350. Now, I don't want to sound like a Philistine and an ignoramus, but #2 would somehow have to be 3 times better than, say, Mid Pine or Pine Needles for me, nowadays, to drop that kind of money on it. The trouble, as I well know, is: what the heck does "3 times better" mean? How does one measure it? (It's like that song of years ago, that praised a woman for being "once, twice, three times a lady". Still don't have any idea what that would look like; but it sort of gives me the creeps). So I guess in short, it comes down (re measuring the value) to something along the lines of what salesman Ricky Roma says to a would be buyer in Glengarry Glen Ross:

Stocks, bonds, objects of art - what are they? An opportunity to make money - perhaps. An opportunity to lose money - perhaps. An opportunity to indulge and to learn about ourselves - so f--king what, what isn't? They're an event - that's all the are.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:19:16 AM by PPallotta »

ChipRoyce

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2013, 10:10:34 AM »
1. $450 to play Pinehurst #2 (was higher as part of corp. outing / tournament)

2. About $2K - flights, 2 nights lodging, participation in the Loggerhead invitational at Seminole (one of only 2 charity tournaments played there) and round at some other PB track (just ok)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back