News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

100 acres
« on: August 08, 2003, 07:58:56 PM »
What's a typical maximum yardage for this area?  Any examples around this spec?
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Forrest Richardson

Re:100 acres
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 08:58:51 PM »
6,500 yards, but it's tighter than desired. Several older core courses rest on 100 acre sites less a range.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 09:44:18 PM »
Forrest

Thank you.

Any well known or famous course around the 100 acre mark?

I suppose you inevitably have to design parallel holes at this lowest limit: for a reasonably long yardage.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2003, 09:45:43 PM by P_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 11:31:18 PM »
The actual golf course of Merion East is on right around 100 acres as the entire Merion East site is only about 126.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 11:33:27 PM »
I'd also say that Merion West is probably on less than 100 acres but due to great topography, some gutsy use of it and a good routing the course doesn't appear to be squashed in.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 05:42:23 AM »
Paul, Guinness Book of Records apparently used to say of Stourbridge Golf Club that it had the 'longest yardage on the smallest acreage.'  Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Guinness with that entry so I can't quote figures other than that it is currently just over 6,200 yards.  Hallamshire, a thoroughly interesting course on the western edge of Sheffield, plays to 6,359 yards and is surely well under 100 acres in area.  There are several cracking holes and super views.  

Mark.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2003, 05:57:23 AM »
One of the great uses of very close to 100 acres is Kingston Heath in Melbourne. On my last visit down there, my host remarked that it was the better use of 100 acres than all of downtown Melbourne.

The routing doesn't waste an inch and the holes and course environs remain fantastic!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 07:36:47 AM by slapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2003, 08:37:16 AM »
I was going to mention Merion. The best potential is an old quarry or low valley where the golf can be contained inwards toward itself. Merion fits this bill to some degree. A flatland course, or onebuilt from such land, would also be a candidate.

Topographical movement can create the need for land area — especially when you do the right thing and embrace the land's features — this can cause voids which are "wasted" space. (Not really, but to the bean counters, perhaps.) Adjoining land uses will also greatly affect land use: a school, public road, park, etc. mean lots more set-back and, hence, considerably more land.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2003, 08:45:01 AM »
The question conjures up all kind of thoughts, mostly to, why do you ask?

I am thinking of a long nine hole lay-out with two sets of tees to give the illusion of 18.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2003, 09:04:03 AM »
Even when there are other hazards and conditions — natural or otherwise — it seems bunkers are often added to create a mix that might be better left sans the bunkers. This discussion will help me understand some of your thoughts.

How would two sets of tees be an affect?
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 09:05:12 AM »
Sorry, wrong thread. Two sets of tees? Yes, this is always a good idea to create variation with 9-holes or fewer than 18.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2003, 09:25:26 AM »
F- I was thinking of how in the olden days (Ross for sure) built two sets. Not for the inferior or newer golfers, but so the players could play a different course (shot selection) in the afternoon. And with liability issues hanging over the heads of everybody these days, why not use the space for a big boys capable nine holes? rather than the claustrophobic potential of squeezing in 18. Hell, if he builds it so he can make a way back set, play 5000 yds maybe people will see how long that really is, but Still less than 36 on a 6000 yder.

There's a course here, Hidden Valley, which use to be a nine holer. They dumped ungodly amounts of bling to make it 18. 3m? on 96 acres,  I'll be surprised if it isn't a housing venture next.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2003, 11:06:23 AM »
One of the most ingenious routings I know of can be found at Marine Drive GC in Vancouver. The golf course there, originally laid-out by Vernon Macan, sits on something like 96 acres and functions very well, considering.
jeffmingay.com

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2003, 06:56:11 PM »
P_Turner: Caledonia Golf & Fish Club in Pawleys Island, SC is a highly regarded course on less than 100 acres... around 85 if my memory is correct. The course measures a little over 6500 yards from the tips and plays to a par of 70. Here is a link to the course's web site: http://www.fishclub.com/calhome2.html[/b]
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

mark chalfant

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2003, 02:16:30 AM »
Paul
Metacomet , a superb Ross routing over hilly terrain, is
on  95 acres and measures 6405.

hope youre well !

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back