News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

D3s and D2s
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
Anyone had any experience of using smaller dozer's. I used a D3 a long time ago and found it just did not have enough guts. I saw a video for a Komatsu D20A recently and it looked great for finishing off. Anyone used one or heard anything?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Joe Hancock

Re: D3s and D2s
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:16:38 PM »
Anyone had any experience of using smaller dozer's. I used a D3 a long time ago and found it just did not have enough guts. I saw a video for a Komatsu D20A recently and it looked great for finishing off. Anyone used one or heard anything?

Adrian,

I haven't used a D3 in a long time(and it was only for a short period of time), but it's as you say.....not strong enough for most tasks. I am currently in a Komatsu D39 and I really can't think of anything so small that I can't create it with this machine. The same is true for a JD550 or a Cat D5, IMO.

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
Yeah I have to use a D3 when Im working in Korea.  I rough in as much as I can with the D9 and then finish with the D3.  I would much rather have a D5K, but they are hard to come by with the guys I work with in Korea.  When in the States I always demand to user Deere equipment.  A D3 would be the same size as a 450.  I love to have a JD 750 for rough in.  I always like to have a JD650 around to tweak greens, bunkers, and tees.  The new JD 700 is big enough to do some major pushing but yet small enough to finish greens off.  

I have found the new Komatsu series with the radiators in the rear of the machine to be really unbalanced.  I have only used one for a short period of time.  I'm sure if you run one for a while you get used to it.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
Although the D3 is considered less forgiving, I believe it really does pack a bit more punch then the D2...

....wait....this thread isn't about Titleist Drivers?

disregard!
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 01:37:42 AM »

Adrian,

I haven't used a D3 in a long time(and it was only for a short period of time), but it's as you say.....not strong enough for most tasks. I am currently in a Komatsu D39 and I really can't think of anything so small that I can't create it with this machine. The same is true for a JD550 or a Cat D5, IMO.

Joe

I shaped all of the greens at High Pointe with an old D-3.  As noted, it didn't push much dirt at one time.

Hence, minimalism was born.  :)

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:26:29 AM »
I was on a D3 today cleaning up after drainage, and doing some other small projects, but there is almost nothing on a new project I could with a D3, and not a D5. I would much rather do my finish work with the sandpro v D3... If you are working on a renovation a D3 could be pretty handy for getting into small spaces.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 11:56:37 AM »

Adrian,

Joe

I shaped all of the greens at High Pointe with an old D-3.  As noted, it didn't push much dirt at one time.

Hence, minimalism was born.  :)

Tom,

You're not going all " Al Gore, Inventor of The Internet" on us are you?  ;)

It's too bad High Pointe isn't still there for us to play. I played it once w/ Mahaffey, and walked it another time when I was looking at grass selections for another project I was on, trying to decide if fescue was the proper choice. Unfortunately, it was 1994 and hotter than Dutch love(as my Dad used to say), so the poa-infested fescue looked pretty rough. But that's for another thread.

Jaeger,

Remodels and cramped spaces go hand in hand. I have learned to not compromise on the area of disruption. Supers always think they are saving work by removing as little of sod as possible, but it almost always backfires because you end up taking out more grass with the dozer because of that mentality. And, I agree re SandPro for finishing, although it's becoming rare to find a good SandPro on a jobsite any more. I bought one a few years ago; a dandy I got from Oakland Hills when I did some work for them. I'll likely never stumble onto a deal like that again!

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »
I think Rod Whitman was on a D6 when I saw him at Cabot Cliffs in August.  Big mother.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back