News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

... under Architecture Timeline (Willie Park, Jr. - 1900) and In My Opinion.

Anyone who has visited GolfClubAtlas.com world headquarters in the past year has likely seen ‘The Sunningdale Story’ booklet floating about. Written by Guy Bennett and edited by John Churchill, it is a chronological account of one of the world’s greatest golf clubs. It has been available for purchase on Amazon UK for the past ~eighteen months and through the generosity of its editor Mr. Churchill, you can now read it on GolfClubAtlas.com.

Guy Bennett, who was the Secretary of Sunningdale from 1934-1939, compiled the material in 1962. John Churchill, current member and historian at Sunningdale, augmented the narrative with text (which is italicized), photographs and Google Maps. Their combined efforts comprise more than 60 pages of highly enjoyable content.

We roll it out in three parts over the month of December. Part I is posted today and centers on the Old Course. Bennett provides a unique perspective as he had the opportunity to speak with both the club founder and the green keeper who built the Old Course under the directions and guidance of its architect Willie Park. Pretty neat for a course whose construction started pre-1900! The mural from Tatler and Field that Mr. Churchill sourced shows a largely treeless environ in 1914.

Sunningdale Old is a bizarre confluence of two Golden Age titans working on the same course within a decade of each other. That's extremely unusual. Generally, there is a 'great' architect and a 'less great' architect and more time separates their work. The surprising amount of change that took place in the Old’s first ~15 years was no doubt driven in large part by the advent of the Haskell ball a few years after Park finished the original layout. Demonstrating how technology has changed off the course as well, Mr. Churchill uses Google Earth to diagram the major alterations that occurred to Park's 7th and 8th holes by Colt.  In short, there is no place better to learn who did what when at the Old and New Course than this updated version by Mr. Churchill of Bennett's work. In another example,  the author and editor clearly demonstrate how Colt moved the 12th green to its present location. As it exists today, the twelfth gets my vote for favorite hole on the Old thanks due to its glorious string of diagonal hazards.

Fascinating features permeate the pages: The bunker in the center of the green at Colt's 13th, the Double Green à la St. Andrews that Park originally had at the 1st and 17th holes, and the changes to the Home hole after a Luftwaffe raid created a crater there.

The name Sunningdale connotes inland golf of the highest order.  To understanding its history is to appreciate the evolution of inland golf from poor stepchild of links golf to its equally pretty sister. In the middle of the month we will post Part II which discusses the New Course at length.

Meanwhile, we should all thank Mr. Churchill for graciously electing to share such information with us on GolfClubAtlas.com for the world to see and study.

Best,

Adam Lawrence

Re: The Sunningdale Story by Guy Bennett and John Churchill is posted ...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
John's work on The Sunningdale Story is just fabulous. It's a brilliant exposition of one of the world's greatest golf clubs.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »
AWESOME!!! Thank you Mr Churchill.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:01:11 AM »
This is an important contribution to the history of an important golf course.

Well done and thank you Mr.Churchill.

Bob

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
Ran- thanks so much, and through you to Mr. Churchill. It was a wonderful and lovely read, in every sense. The charm of the layers of history here - Mr. Churchill looking back on Guy Bennett, who looks back on Hugh MacLean and Bert Champman, who in turn looks back on his encounter with Willie Park at the very beginning (I went up to him and said “Excuse me Sir, I ‘ear they’re making a golf course or something up on the Common; Any chance of a job for me?”) -- and all of them sharing their part in the story with such obvious affection and respect for the course and the club and the people who made it and then made it their own. Just great, even for someone like me who knows so little about and has never set foot on Sunningdale. Thanks again

Peter

Paul Gray

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »
Fabulous stuff Ran.

Thanks to all involved for your time and generosity.

What an absolute pleasure to read.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jim Eder

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
Thank you very much Mr. Churchill for doing "The Sunningdale Story" and for your generosity in sharing this work with all of us and thank you Ran for bringing it to our attention. "The Sunningdale Story" is just brilliant and so helpful. The writing and the photos are so terrific and so helpful in understanding the history of these great golf courses. I can't say how terrific this work is. I love it. Sunningdale is very special and knowing more about the history and the route the courses have taken is truly invaluable.  Thank you very much!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »
Good to see this available here.

I did pay for it on via Amazon last year however I can't find it it on sale there anymore.  It would have been interesting to see how many copies it sold there.

Now perhaps it's just the search engine on here but I can't find the thread where this was discussed at the time it was released.  Was it deleted?  You can get an idea why it might have been from post 6 on this thread.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53626.0.html

Can anyone find the that thread?

Strange how some of these images have completed a circle. ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »
Bennett was Secretary of Sandy Lodge from 1920 to 1933.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back