News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Who Lives In/Near Portland and Knows Portland Golf?
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
 :D

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:05:00 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Pete_Pittock

Re: Who Lives In/Near Portland and Knows Portland Golf?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 03:39:16 PM »
Dorset, Maine or Oregon?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:40:50 PM by Pete_Pittock »

David Davis

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
Sean,

I'm from Portland and if I need to find something out I'd ask Pete!

Go visit Astoria Country Club if you need something fun and a bit quirky. Firm and fast and a true links. I bet you would like it.

Oh and I heard there is a place called Bandon Dunes close by that's not half bad.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
Sean,

I'm from Portland and if I need to find something out I'd ask Pete!

Go visit Astoria Country Club if you need something fun and a bit quirky. Firm and fast and a true links. I bet you would like it.

Oh and I heard there is a place called Bandon Dunes close by that's not half bad.

John Kirk is also very knowledgeable about Portland, OR.  But I have played Isle of Purbeck which gives me a soupcon or scintilla about Dorset.

This morning, in another futile wait for my course to open (they've gone 1 for 7),  I found out that Portland GC is undergoing tree removal under the purview of Dan Hixson.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »
Sean,

Does this mean you're finally making a pilgrimage to Bandon?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 06:12:18 PM »
I'm headed to Portland with a group of 20 college pals in a couple weeks for a college basketball/foodie weekend. Love Oregon!!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:23:08 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 11:12:37 PM »
I'm headed to Portland with a group of 20 college pals in a couple weeks for a college basketball/foodie weekend. Love Oregon!!!

Where you playing?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 11:23:36 PM »
Food???? In Portland??   Two words....POK POK!!!!!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »

Pok Pok gets great press but I don't think we are eating there this trip. No golf planned as the trip is the weekend of December 14th.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
Peter P's your guy!

you need to make arrangements in advance  for astoria… they don't like the random caller from my experience, even if its the pro from Chambers Bay inquiring...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
Peter P's your guy!

you need to make arrangements in advance  for astoria… they don't like the random caller from my experience, even if its the pro from Chambers Bay inquiring...

The super from Astoria is in the group. Oddly enuf, we went to the University of Illinois together.

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »
Terry,

$40 replay rate at Old Mac; best deal since the bottomless cocktail at the Bev...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »
OK - Good golf in PDX:
1.  Waverly
2.  Portland GC (held a Ryder Cup)
3.  Columbia-Edgewater
4.  Pumpkin Ridge

Lots of good public golf (Eastmoreland, Heron Lakes, Pumpkin Ridge)

I lived in PDX for 9 years, and I didn't golf much in the winter.  It gets really wet and dismal, which is why my club (Riverside) was A-OK with jeans in the winter.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 04:32:24 AM »
Peter P's your guy!

The super from Astoria is in the group. Oddly enuf, we went to the University of Illinois together.

Terry,
Almost was going to make my way up for the game but it's starting to look like I will be busy. I will be sure to send you a PM if that changes. I haven't seen the Illini play yet, but I hear they look good. We're playing well but I'm worrying about our lack of size.

Sean,
Do what you can to see Waverly. I haven't played it but I have walked it and can say that the holes there are top notch, and Gil Hanse's restoration work has really made the place special.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Pete_Pittock

Re: Who Lives In/Near Portland and Knows Portland Golf? New
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 12:37:24 AM »
Sean,
As you friend is moving to Portland in a few years for two or three years and is looking for a private club to join here is what to expect.
You can golf year-round, but handicaps are frozen Dec-Feb because ground conditions are less than firm. Expect about 25" of rain in the winter, 35" overall. Slight chance of snow remaining on the ground for more than a day.  
Usually equity clubs, some also have non equity memberships. When you leave the club likely will refund part of your initiation, usually in the 20%-40% range, usually when your membership is re-sold. Few clubs are full or have waiting lists. Most also have tennis courts and swimming pools and a good social program. Dues in the top and middle tiers are probably in the $400-$600 in the md-range clubs.
Many clubs levy assessments over and above dues, have dining minimums have other fees.

Portland has one of the higher commute times so golf should be near work or home. Information about individual clubs can be obtained by contacting the club through their websites. I will try to group by what I think are initiation fees,

Top tier clubs, all have held multiple USGA events.
Waverley CC  High end old line club located on the Willamette River near south city limits. Good drainage, semi-hilly, five short climbs, 50'ish
Portland GC. High end club located in SW Portland on Scholls Ferry Rd. Moderate drainage, semi hilly, fewer but high climbs.
Pumpkin Ridge (Witch Hollow).  West of town in North Plains. Golf only, affiliated with American Golf.  Modern design. Flattish, iffy drainage. Pumpkin Ridge also has Ghost Creek, a public daily fee course with a separate clubhouse near the far end of the double-ended range. Witch Hollow hosts a Web.com vent in August.

Next
Royal Oaks is located in Vancouver WA north of the Portland airport (PDX). Flat, well draining. holes fairly straight through evergreens or oaks.
Some holes are tight.
Columbia-Edgewater is located just west of the airport on Marine Drive. Flat, reasonable drainage. Straight to slight doglegs hole through variety of trees. Holds an LPGA event in August. Has a 9 hole short course.
Riverside CC. Abuts Columbia Edgewater on the south. Lotta doglegs, helps if you can work the ball both ways. Flat,reasonable drainage
Oregon Golf Club is south of town near West Linn near the top of Pete's Mpuntain. Very hilly. Modern design
Oswego Lake CC in the SW suburb of Lake Oswego. Hilly, tight, provides a cart to get to the 8th tee.

Willamette Valley CC in the south east exurb of Canby.  Modern design, flat, mostly good drainage.
Tualatin CC in the SW suburb of Tualatin. Tight, straight holes. front through very tall evergreens.
Persimmon GC in east suburb of Gresham. Modern, hilly, moderate quirk.

Outlier courses- Club Green Meadows (Vancouver WA), The Cedars (Brush Prairie, WA) Orchard Hills (Washougal, WA), Rock Creek (aloha OR)
The Reserve Vineyards is a semi-private club in Aloha OR which has 36 holes, with the private and public course alternating on the 1st and 16th of the month. Two very different golf courses. I have a membership.  

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:40:19 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 05:32:45 AM »
Peter

Cheers.

Do you have anything to add concerning walkability/drainage and cost of your Next and Outlier Courses?  Which of these do you prefer and why? How long is the commute into the centre of town?

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:37:13 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »

Pok Pok gets great press but I don't think we are eating there this trip. No golf planned as the trip is the weekend of December 14th.

Terry,

Where are you planning on eating on your trip. I'll be there for a night in February and have been looking for a good place for dinner and brunch the next day. Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back