News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

astavrides

Re: Official GCA Pronunciation Guide
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 12:27:24 AM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:49:34 PM by astavrides »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
It's not always easy this side of the pond, either.

You play HunSTANton until a member points out that it's HUNston. You then call it HUNston until another member corrects it to HunSTANton and so on ad nauseam.

I call it CarLISLE but locals prefer CARlisle.

I call it NEWcarsle but others say NewCASSLE.

Then you have political or religious considerations, for instance LONdonderry and DERRY.

It's a minefield. Just listen a BBC News bulletin and it will not be long before you shout at the newsreader that the word is reSEARCH not REEsearch. Grammar, too: None is, not none are....

As for BBC Radio 3 presenters' pronunciation of foreign languages....  Some are good, but some are dreadfully ill informed....

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 08:04:47 AM »
Mark,

When I saw your name attach to this thread I thought we were in for Welsh tongue-twisters. I too would choose BBC post-RP political correctness issues over Wales. We won't be able to pronounce Welsh courses even after you tell us how.  :P
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
BBC pronunciations that continuously grate on me:

MITCH-i-gan
saint-LOO-ie
joe LOO-ie
los-AN-ge-lees
MARRY-land
HOOS-ton

Any French name that should have emphshis on the 2nd syllable and not the first (e.g. SAR-co.zy rather than sar-CO-szy; SHEE-rack rather than shee-RACK; etc.)

And, ruh-DAN and bee-ah-RITZ are the proper pronunciations, IMHO

mini rant over....

Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »
Sounds like Bugs Bunny taught the Beeb those pronunciations. Which if he did: two big thumbs up!
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Niall C

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
I've seen two videos recently where they talked about the Root-ing...
Not the Rout-ing as in a golf Out-ing.

Who else says Root-ing?

Well pretty much of the UK for a start.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 09:41:28 AM »
When I worked up north I had business dealings in a small village on the Moray (now how do you pronounce that one  ;)) coast called, or rather spelled, Findochty. A sure way to find out if someone was a local was to listen to them pronounce the name. The locals pronounce it fin-eck-ty.

Niall

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 12:52:09 PM »
Is this an appropriate thread to mention the exclusivity posed by GCA abbreviations?   ANGC, NGLA, CP, PB, TOC, WFW...   Sometimes I'm tempted to use an abbreviation like HSGC just to confound the veterans.  

Steve Lang

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 01:08:13 PM »
 8)  DEE troit or deh Troit ?

Hue ston or Hous ton?

New York or ne yark?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Steve Okula

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »
And New Orleans is New or-LEENS only when you need it to rhyme in a song, otherwise it's New OR-luns, or as the locals say, NAW-lins.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »
I have to remember that my August flight to Scotland lands in Edinborough... And if you want to get to Tazmania, you have to go through Melbin. Or is it Tasmania?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:08:57 PM by Bill Brightly »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
Peter,

Sounds haad to pronounce and not something I'd pick up through my normal preparation routine, which is to eat Bloomin' Onions at Outback Steakhouse.

Thenks,
Maak

The first time I went to Australia, in 1999, I learned two things very quickly.

1. Outback has absolutely nothing remotely Australian on their menu.

2. Absolutely nobody in their right mind ever drinks Foster's.

I also discovered that, unless they play golf, they have no idea they have world class courses there. I tell my father-in-law all the time... "Melbourne has a couple of courses worthy of being top five or ten in the whole world". He goes "We do? Really?"

I also learned that a "normal" American accent is actually very hard for them to pick out. I used to get asked if I was Irish or Canadian a lot more than anything else, presumably because of my subtle upper midwestern shadings. This is because they expect every American to sound like George W. Bush or some exaggerated Valley Girl.

An Aussie accent really is the hardest to do properly. I pick up other accents with no problems at all, but a real Aussie one is just too hard. Even after being married to one and having literally seen her every day for the last 15 years, I still can't get it right. The only time I can do it is if I'm doing an imitation of somebody else, like an AFL commentator or something.

Oddly enough I do a good Kiwi though.... I got Frank Nobilo down to a tee, but I can't do an Aussie, go figure.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:33:26 PM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »
I've seen two videos recently where they talked about the Root-ing...
Not the Rout-ing as in a golf Out-ing.

Who else says Root-ing?

Canadians probably. The same people who say "aboot" when they try to say "about".

Nigel Islam

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »
Peter,

Sounds haad to pronounce and not something I'd pick up through my normal preparation routine, which is to eat Bloomin' Onions at Outback Steakhouse.

Thenks,
Maak

The first time I went to Australia, in 1999, I learned two things very quickly.

1. Outback has absolutely nothing remotely Australian on their menu.

2. Absolutely nobody in their right mind ever drinks Foster's.

I also discovered that, unless they play golf, they have no idea they have world class courses there. I tell my father-in-law all the time... "Melbourne has a couple of courses worthy of being top five or ten in the whole world". He goes "We do? Really?"

I also learned that a "normal" American accent is actually very hard for them to pick out. I used to get asked if I was Irish or Canadian a lot more than anything else, presumably because of my subtle upper midwestern shadings. This is because they expect every American to sound like George W. Bush or some exaggerated Valley Girl.

An Aussie accent really is the hardest to do properly. I pick up other accents with no problems at all, but a real Aussie one is just too hard. Even after being married to one and having literally seen her every day for the last 15 years, I still can't get it right. The only time I can do it is if I'm doing an imitation of somebody else, like an AFL commentator or something.

Oddly enough I do a good Kiwi though.... I got Frank Nobilo down to a tee, but I can't do an Aussie, go figure.

Fosters, the beer Australians refuse to drink

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2013, 08:18:16 PM »
Gentlemen,

Peter,
"Brine Demidge" for "Brain Damage" sounds much like the way the South Africans here in Australia would speak.

Niall, "Moray" is Murray is it not??? As an Australian-Scot my street cred is suspect!

Bill McB, Your five year old grandson Jake, has Jason Day as "Jayson Dye" done to a tee!

My favourite story with regards to this was told to me by a Chinaman, Locko, who had emigrated to Australia a few months before my good self back in the very late sixties. As two new immigrants this Chinaman and Scot were finding solace in each others company as we knew no-one. Understandably his command of the English language was minimal and, possibly, he thought mine was too!
Anyway upon his arrival a friendly Customs/Immigration said to him "Ah Locko it is good to see you have arrived today!" It took Locko a few days to get over the fear that in coming to to Australian he was not doomed to die but had a very full life ahead of him!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Steve Okula

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2013, 04:54:15 AM »

Fosters, the beer Australians refuse to drink

Yeah. Why don't they ever export Victoria Bitters?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Paul Jones

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »
Atchafalaya Golf Course is another tough one - http://atchafalayagolf.com/
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Steve Wilson

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 03:52:50 PM »
I'll supply the phonetics and someone else can do the spelling.  I was utterly at a loss when I went to a Ross Society event there a few years ago and was able to find the course without having to ask directions.  

tuh you juh guh

It's all schwas except for the second vowel.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »
saint-LOO-ie
joe LOO-ie

Must have learned their American pronunciations from "Meet Me in Saint Louis."

Which reminds me of a favorite "Jeopardy!" moment -- maybe long enough ago that Art Fleming was the host.

The category was "State capitals."

The answer was: "Of LEWIS-ville, LOOEY-ville, or LOO-uh-vul, the proper pronunciation of Kentucky's capital."

First contestant said: "What is LOOEY-ville?"

Buzz.

Second contestant said: "What is LEWIS-ville?"

Buzz.

Third contestand said (confidently): "What is LOO-uh-vul?"

Buzz.

Art (?) said: "Sorry. The correct question is: 'What is Frankfort?' "

I think it was April Fools' Day.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Lester George

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »
Mike,

I know many people who say ROOT-ing.  

Some from around these here parts, some from the north, some SUTHENERS.  Never have quite put my finger on it.  It would be interesting to poll golf architects for their pronunciations.

Lester

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 02:34:58 PM »

I am with you on this subject! I made the mistake of playing Scioto a few weeks ago. Rule of thumb: Never Play a Course you cannot consistently pronounce correctly! What is that Ross course in Cincy again? I got laughed at when I tried to pronounce Strathtyrum too! I never make fun of people for butchering my name either >:(

I got a very good laugh out of this.  As somebody who grew up playing at Scioto I have heard this course name pronounced roughly 500 ways, so don't feel bad.  It's extremely rare when anybody gets it right the first time.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:21 PM »

I'm just trying to catch up to someone who puts the k on Sebonack, which I think is on Sebonac Road.

When people find out Sebonack and Sebonac are the same place, what follows will dwarf the Russian Revolution, which occurred when the people discovered the tsar and the czar were the same person.

Mark,

The entrance to Sebonack Golf Club is on Shrubland Rd.

The driveway to the former Sabin Estate, now the club entrance driveway, has been renamed, Sebonic Neck Rd, yet, when the driveway forms the circle at the clubhouse, the name is Sebonac Neck Rd.  Somewhere things are either misspelled or just confusing, or both ;D

And, don't forget Bayberry Landing ;D

Nigel Islam

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 11:33:06 PM »

I am with you on this subject! I made the mistake of playing Scioto a few weeks ago. Rule of thumb: Never Play a Course you cannot consistently pronounce correctly! What is that Ross course in Cincy again? I got laughed at when I tried to pronounce Strathtyrum too! I never make fun of people for butchering my name either >:(

I got a very good laugh out of this.  As somebody who grew up playing at Scioto I have heard this course name pronounced roughly 500 ways, so don't feel bad.  It's extremely rare when anybody gets it right the first time.

The sad part is I know how to pronounce it now, but I have been doing it so badly for so many years, I still can't get it right. I guess I am not the brightest of light bulbs!

Rick Baril

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 06:47:45 AM »
Mike,

I know many people who say ROOT-ing.  

Some from around these here parts, some from the north, some SUTHENERS.  Never have quite put my finger on it.  It would be interesting to poll golf architects for their pronunciations.

Lester

I'll bite Lester - For me, it's "row-ting".  

This is the result of hearing RvH's "rooting" story many times....  The reader's digest version:  In the mid 60's, his presence in Australia to work on The Lakes golf course, was apparently news worthy.  As he related the story:  When I arrived at the airport, I was met by a throng of news reporters and cameras.  They were looking for a sound-bite about the work on The Lakes.  I told them I brought a "rooting plan" with me...  

After that comment, he said it was impossible for any of them to continue in a serious manner....  The next day, every report included a crack about von Hagge's rooting plan for The Lakes or von Hagge's plan to root The Lakes...  
We're here because we aren't all there!

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »
The Ross in Cincinnati definitely belongs here:

Maketewah - Pronounced mack-uh-TEE-wuh

How about a few basics?

Biarritz - BEE-uh-rits (or bee-uh-RITZ if you’re Nick Faldo)
Redan – RED-ann (not that tough, but I wondered for a while if it had a French nasal ending or something. #NotInThisLanguage)

Is Ballyneal supposed to have the emphasis on the NEAL? I’ve always put the accent on the first syllable but I hear some smart people who accent the third.

What’s the correct pronunciation of Scioto? The most reliable source I’ve heard calls it “SIGH-oh-tuh” but I’m never sure if he’s correct or if he just likes to give up on the final syllable.

Jason: While searching the Cincinnati Public Library databases for something else, I found this about Maketewah from the Cincinnati Enquirer; Dec. 5, 1922:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back