News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Jessie

Emmet, James Braid, and Macdonald - Hole Names - Help
« on: November 19, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »
I am the superintendent at St. George's (Emmet) emailing a colleague the hole names for our golf course. As I was emailing the names of our holes and googleing what the names meant. I found that The Queens course at Gleneagles had shared 6 of the exact names. I have seen many courses with the Home as the last name but "Warlock Knowe" does not seem common to me.  I guess I have two questions Is this common and does anyone think that James Braid and Devereaux Emmet had a relationship and their design work was influenced by each other. It is well documented that Macdonald and Emmet were friends but does anyone know if Braid was in this group as well?

St. Georges                    Gleneagles
Sahara                    Trystin Tree
Warlock Knowe   Needle E
Perfection                    Gushet Rig
Stey Brae                    Warlock Knowe
Cape                    Glower I er em
Westlin' Wyne   Drum Sichty
Oasis                    Westlin Wyne
Dog's Leg                    Auld Fauld
The Kirk                    Stey Brae
The Cedars                    Pint Soup
Maiden                    Miur Tap
Needle E's                    Tinkers Gill
The Knoll                    Water Kelpie
Drum Sichty                    Witches Bowster
Bastion                    Leddy Ain
Water Kelpie   Lovers Gait
Sunken Forest   Hinny Mune
Hame                    Hame

Tom_Doak

Re: Emmet, James Braid, and Macdonald - Hole Names - Help
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 07:31:53 AM »
Adam:

I don't know if Emmet had a relationship with James Braid -- I'd be surprised.  But what makes you think that Braid was the one behind the hole names at Gleneagles?  I am trying to recall if he named holes on his other courses -- I don't remember any from St. Enodoc or Pennard, but I'll try to remember to go back and look at their scorecards.

It's possible that Emmet knew someone else who helped name the holes -- perhaps C.K. Hutchison, or knowing Emmet, perhaps the people who owned Gleneagles!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:22:31 AM »
The Kirk?  Who knew Emmet was a Star Trek fan......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
Adam

I have lived in and played golf in Scotland for most of the past 30+ years and have NEVER heard a true Scotsman refer to a golf hole by it's name rather than it's number.

I'd guess that your holes at St. George's were named by an ancestor (or admirer) of Judge Smales.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Adam Jessie

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:35 AM »
We do not even have the names on the scorecard or use them any more. I thought that it would be more than a coincidence that they shared that many names. You guys would know a lot more than I would but with the exception of the template Macdonald holes Clubs don't refer to the names of their particular hole.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
At Golspie, a Braid course in the Highlands, #5 is "Sahara Out" and #17 is "Sahara Back," although I rarely do hear any of the holes referred to by their name.

"I have lived in and played golf in Scotland for most of the past 30+ years and have NEVER heard a true Scotsman refer to a golf hole by it's name rather than it's number."     

Rich -

What about Foxy?

DT

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
Hi David

Most of the old guard that I know refer to it as "The 14th" but there are some newbies that prefer to call it "Foxy."

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 05:49:27 PM »
Adam,

Just remember, the naming of golf holes (and there are a multitude that have been christened) originated in Scotland, so Judge Smails must have had a Pict or a Gael somewhere in his lineage.  ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back