News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

john_stiles

Re: Courses Allowing Metal Spikes
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »

Only use my old leather spike shoes when there is ice on the roads.  The spikes are old and the softer metal is worn off, and there is a decent nib of apparently a harder core.  Put on my spikes to walk around home streets.  Change to spikes to walk into the office and back into street shoes once inside.

Spikes are great for walking on icy driveways and walkways.  Have not worn spikes in a long time on a course.

Seems a few of the PGA Tour players wear spikes.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »
A follow up question: Does anybody here wear soft spikes because they offer a playing advantage over metals?
I do. They're much easier to walk in.

When I was a kid I remember playing one year in spikes, and then the next year we went to plastic spikes. This is at Lake View CC in North East, PA. Three things stand out from that year:
  • My feet and ankles and knees weren't nearly as "tired" at the end of a round as they were with metal spikes. Whether that was because of the weight, or how "hard" they made the soles (less cushioning), or a combination of those and other factors, I don't know. I just know I could play a lot more golf, even at age 16 or so, with the plastic spikes. 36-hole days became 54-hole days.  :) Ahhhh, the wasted time of youth…
  • I had to be a lot more careful walking up wooden steps that had just received a light sprinkling of water.
  • The greens looked 10x better than the year before. The change was dramatic and instantaneous.
So, that's not really for a "playing advantage" as it is "I got to play more." These days I prefer spikeless shoes entirely. I don't have to muck about with cleaning them, and the times I lose traction in a year are countable on my fingers… and they're situations (like hardpan) where I might not have much traction anyway.

I realize it puts me in the radical fringe of superintendents, but I am unconvinced that metal spikes are necessarily deterimental to putting surfaces. I have been greenkeeping since the '70's, before soft spikes came in, and I have yet to see any difference in putting surfaces due to type of shoe spikes. My suspicion is that the soft spike hysteria has been promulgated as a conspiracy between club managers who want to reduce wear and tear on hard surfaces around the clubhouse, and some marketing people and manufacturers who wanted a new market to exploit. Along the way, they managed to brianwash not only the golfing public but 99% of superintendents that sof spikes are indispensable for the health of the greens. Many of those same superintendents then run spiking machines across the same greens to open holes the same way metal spikes would.

Wow.

Aren't the tines on a machine going much deeper into the turf, down below the thatch, and well below the root layer? The spikes on a golf shoe don't penetrate that deep.

And, though it's just anecdotal, the difference from one year to the next with the only real difference being the institution of a metal spike ban was eye-opening.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:23:35 AM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Colin Shellard

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 07:42:26 AM »
I can't remember exactly the year, 09 I think. I went to a golf shop in St. Andrews to buy spikes and the man behind the counter asked if I wanted metal. Can anyone confirm if metal is allowed at TOC?
They absolutely are allowed at St Andrews by the links trust - In fact I don't know of any clubs here in Scotland that stop you wearing metal spikes. I have a set of classics with the carbide tips that I wear in the winter to improve grip and stop slippage in slopes - in the summer when the fairways get firm on the links then I find the softspike and more modern shoe construction make for a more comfortable walk though.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 07:30:05 PM »
I don't know about any real damage to greens, but the putting experience is miles better with modern shoes.  Growing up in Michigan greens were always spiked up...which was a big reason why playing a private club was a such a pleasure...especially on weekdays.

I don't miss the heavy metal spike shoes in the least.  The shoes I wear now provide a far better playing experience.   I very rarely see metal spikes these, days even in winter. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 08:12:37 PM »
Caddying at last year’s Senior Open at Carnoustie, I was momentarily startled by what I thought was a coach and four rapidly approaching from behind.
Imagine my relief when I turned around to see it was only Miguel Ángel Jiménez negotiating the tarmac car park in his metal spikes. The only player wearing them IIRC.
Vamos, the mechanic!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back