News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Best courses in your city
« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
There's none I'd rather play than the one at my club and I'd imagine a fair number of non-members might be inclined to agree. There are other courses of similar "quality" whatever that means. But none of them would be "better" plus mine happens to suit my game perfectly.

Someone ought to start a thread asking "How far would you have to drive to play a course you like better than your home course?". For those of us lucky to play regularly at our favorite nearby course, that would be an interesting side question.

For me it would probably be about 55 miles to Palmetto Golf Club. That's the closest course I can think of that I'd choose over my own club on any given day (except for the hour-plus drive).

For me it's 2 miles (to Congressional Blue or Gold), 2 miles (Burning Tree), 6 miles (Columbia), and 6 miles (Chevy Chase).  

Russell Lo

« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2013, 02:11:41 PM »
While not known for it's stellar architectual features, here's a list of courses when you've had a little too much beach time and shopping.

Oahu
1) Turtle Bay-Palmer Course. 1 1/2 hours away from Waikiki on the North Shore but well worth the drive. Make it a day and stop by to see Surfing's mecca before or after the round.
2) Mid-Pacific CC-on the windward (east) side of the island near Lanikai Beach and Kailua town. The family will not complain once about the beach as you wind around this Raynor (Rick Smith on the 12th hole) design.
3) Waialae CC-close to The Kahala and Waikiki. Nice to say you played it.
4) Hoakalei CC-Out on the Ewa (Eh-vuh) plains 45 minutes from Waikiki, Ernie Els design where the homes never really developed as planned around the course. Lots of water and bunkers. Some really nice holes and some that force certain shots or you'll find yourself in one of those hazards. Nice effort and great conditioning.
5) Ko Olina-45 minutes west of Waikiki near the Marriott Time shares or Ihilani Resort. Fun resort course. Wide open off the tee, tough greens to hit and putt when it gets windy.
6) Leilehua (military, but publically accessible)-One of the favorites of the locals because of it's big NW like trees. Different looking than all the other Oahu courses up in the middle of the island. Greens recently got ruined by wrong fertilizer mix, but nice re-do on the layout and greens a couple of years ago.
7) Ko'olau and Royal Hawaiian (fka Luana Hills)-Both only 30 minutes over the Pali Tunnel on the windward side and a true Jungle experience. Never cared for Ko'olau that much as 1st time players really don't know that on some holes you should tee off with a shorter club than your approach. Scenery can't be beat but avoid if it's been raining recently as both ar carts only courses and with soggy fairways you get plugged lies and cart path only golf.
8) Kapolei Golf Course-Site of Pacific Links Champions tour tourney. Fun from the correct tees, pretty tough from the tips when it's windy. another course out on the West side in between Hoakalei and Ko Olina.
9) Ala Wai GC-$10 cab ride from Waikiki. Flat as my HS GF but very good greens for the amount of play. Twilight is great to get in 9 with the locals and  is a better layouteven 18 is going to be the cheapest golf on your visit. You'll be back in time for that dinner at Roy's or Alan Wongs. Pali GC, another muni is a better layout, but over the Pali Tunnels like Ko'olau and RH and sometimes a little muddy.
10) Kahuku Golf Links-the pride of the North Shore. A 9 holer built for the sugar plantation bosses right on the ocean. You'd think you're in th British Isles except for the locals cutting across the fairways with their surfboards. Across the street from the Kahuku Fire Station/Police Department. Pickup a 6 pack from Kahuku Superette on the way in (at the entrance to the course) and some peanuts and raw fish on your way out.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
Denver, CO

1) Castle Pines Golf Club
2)  Cherry Hills
3) Colorado Golf Club
4) Sanctuary
5) Common Ground
6) Ravenna
7) Denver Country Club
8 ) Riverdale Dunes
9) Castle Pines Country Club
10) Murphy Creek

Wow! Not many guys from Denver here. To be honest I am surprised by the top of your list here. Granted, I have not played Castle Pines Golf Club, but there is no way that it is above CGC. Here is how my top 5 would look keeping in mind that I haven't played CPGC.

Denver

1. Colorado Golf Club
2. Cherry Hills
3. Castle Pines GC
4. Ravenna
5. CommonGround

Now, I actually live in Colorado Springs, which has a serious lack of good golf courses, but here is my list taking in consideration courses within 30 mins of the Springs that I have played.

1. Broadmoor East (Ross/Jones)

2. Four Mile Ranch (Engh in Canon City, CO)

3. Broadmoor West (Ross/Jones)

4. Eisenhower Blue (Jones)

5. Broadmoor Mountain (Nicklaus)

6. Bear Dance (??? in Larkspur, CO)

7. Walking Stick (Hill, some question how much Hill was involved which is probably a good thing, in Pueblo, CO)

8. Country Club of Colorado (Pete Dye, they just recently renovated the course. Work was done by Rick Phelps, but I don't think they did a very good job or delivered anywhere near the $4 million dollars that was spent on the reno here. I can't count the number of hours I have spent day dreaming that they would have consulted Jim Urbina :'( It has actually kept me up at night)

9. Kissing Camels North/South (Press Maxwell)

10. Kings Deer (Redstone Golf???, Monument, CO)

Mark Steffey

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2013, 07:35:39 PM »
worcester, ma  :o  (all within 25 min of downtown-no traffic)

worcester
whittensville
mt pleasant
the international oaks
oak hill
sterling
the international pines
red tail (ok, maybe 27 minutes)
wachusett
tatnuck

Ari Techner

« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »

Ari

When I last saw Western it was a mess of foliage and damp - overwatered.  Red Run doesn't do much for me, but its a decent enough course. Plum Hollow, again, good course, but not one I would suggest folks see.  I haven't seen any of these in quite some time, but they are not high on my Detroit Bucket List.  Mind you, surprises come to those who gamble. I was very surprised by Birmingham last year.  Its not great, but it is good and I think it will get better - I would definitely return.  

Ciao

You clearly have not seen Western in a very long time.  These days it is generally pretty firm and the greens are generally perfect.  They have installed alot of new drainage.  They have also removed trees and redone all the bunkers in the last few years.  It is a much better course than the others you mention imo.  Though there is still work I would do there the course as is today is great.  I actually walked around Birmingham today a little bit and what I saw did not compare to Western.  Western is imo the hidden gem of the Detroit area.  

Rees Milikin

« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »

Chattanooga, TN Top 5 (just moved 6 months ago) -

Lookout Mtn
Sequatchie Valley
Honors Course
Black Creek
Chattanooga CC

Ari - in that order? You just made Rob Collins very, very happy!

Yes in that order.  I think Sequatchie is THAT good and I think Honors is a bit over rated.  If Sequatchie were 18 holes and the other 9 was the same quality as what is there it would easily be #1 in the area imo as much as I love LM.  

I agree with you, Ari, re: SV. The greatness of this course is apparent the moment you set foot on the property. The massive kick plate of the redan at the 9th literally smacks you in the face as you venture to the first tee. Amazing! A triumph in golf design and a course that deserves all the accolades it receives.

Battle Creek/Sequatchie is the most fun course I have played.  

Mac Plumart

« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2013, 08:42:11 PM »
Rees...

is it open for public play?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2013, 08:47:44 PM »
Rees...

I am sure Rob Collins (the architect and fellow GCA'er) wouldn't mind one bit if any of us played...aka, just drive up and tee off.  Right now it is the ultimate golf club. (amazing course & scenery, free, no tee times, no dress codes, no BS).

Nigel Islam

« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2013, 11:02:17 PM »
Rees...

I am sure Rob Collins (the architect and fellow GCA'er) wouldn't mind one bit if any of us played...aka, just drive up and tee off.  Right now it is the ultimate golf club. (amazing course & scenery, free, no tee times, no dress codes, no BS).

So is it actually open? I does look interesting.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »
While not known for it's stellar architectual features, here's a list of courses when you've had a little too much beach time and shopping.

Oahu
1) Turtle Bay-Palmer Course. 1 1/2 hours away from Waikiki on the North Shore but well worth the drive. Make it a day and stop by to see Surfing's mecca before or after the round.
2) Mid-Pacific CC-on the windward (east) side of the island near Lanikai Beach and Kailua town. The family will not complain once about the beach as you wind around this Raynor (Rick Smith on the 12th hole) design.
3) Waialae CC-close to The Kahala and Waikiki. Nice to say you played it.
4) Hoakalei CC-Out on the Ewa (Eh-vuh) plains 45 minutes from Waikiki, Ernie Els design where the homes never really developed as planned around the course. Lots of water and bunkers. Some really nice holes and some that force certain shots or you'll find yourself in one of those hazards. Nice effort and great conditioning.
5) Ko Olina-45 minutes west of Waikiki near the Marriott Time shares or Ihilani Resort. Fun resort course. Wide open off the tee, tough greens to hit and putt when it gets windy.
6) Leilehua (military, but publically accessible)-One of the favorites of the locals because of it's big NW like trees. Different looking than all the other Oahu courses up in the middle of the island. Greens recently got ruined by wrong fertilizer mix, but nice re-do on the layout and greens a couple of years ago.
7) Ko'olau and Royal Hawaiian (fka Luana Hills)-Both only 30 minutes over the Pali Tunnel on the windward side and a true Jungle experience. Never cared for Ko'olau that much as 1st time players really don't know that on some holes you should tee off with a shorter club than your approach. Scenery can't be beat but avoid if it's been raining recently as both ar carts only courses and with soggy fairways you get plugged lies and cart path only golf.
8) Kapolei Golf Course-Site of Pacific Links Champions tour tourney. Fun from the correct tees, pretty tough from the tips when it's windy. another course out on the West side in between Hoakalei and Ko Olina.
9) Ala Wai GC-$10 cab ride from Waikiki. Flat as my HS GF but very good greens for the amount of play. Twilight is great to get in 9 with the locals and  is a better layouteven 18 is going to be the cheapest golf on your visit. You'll be back in time for that dinner at Roy's or Alan Wongs. Pali GC, another muni is a better layout, but over the Pali Tunnels like Ko'olau and RH and sometimes a little muddy.
10) Kahuku Golf Links-the pride of the North Shore. A 9 holer built for the sugar plantation bosses right on the ocean. You'd think you're in th British Isles except for the locals cutting across the fairways with their surfboards. Across the street from the Kahuku Fire Station/Police Department. Pickup a 6 pack from Kahuku Superette on the way in (at the entrance to the course) and some peanuts and raw fish on your way out.

Awesome to get some Oahu courses. I never realized Mid Pacific was the better of the two Raynors. Is there still a fair bit of Raynor left?

Rees Milikin

« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2013, 11:10:33 PM »
Rees...

So is it actually open? I does look interesting.

Not technically, but you can just drive up, park your car and start playing.  

jim_lewis

« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2013, 09:01:25 AM »
I have been impressed at how some have been able to stretch the boundaries of their cities. I am now ready to claim that no "city" can match Pinehurst  for the quality of courses located within 5 miles of downtown.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Jud_T

« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »
Jim,

I'd say Bandon, OR has Pinehurst beat...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »
1 - Settindown Creek - no better test of golf in Atlanta
2-  Peachtree GC
3 - East Lake
4 - Atlanta Athletic Club - Highlands
5 - Atlanta Country Club
6 - Rivermont
7 - Crabapple
8 - Ansley Golf Club

now close by....
9 - Columbus Country Club
10 - Cuscowilla

Mac Plumart

« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
I've heard the 9 holer at Ansley Golf Club is really good. I haven't played it, however.

Hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, ay?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Russell Lo

« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »
Nigel,

Regarding Raynor's Oahu courses, I think Waialae has a few more template holes (Biarritz, Road, Eden, Redan), but Mid Pac has better topography and holes that fit the land. At Waialae every drive but two sets up for a right hander's draw. More shots are required at Mid Pac where you have to deal with the topography and the wind. I would be the last one to tell you if either course has more Raynor.

Tim Martin

« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2013, 02:24:31 PM »
I have been impressed at how some have been able to stretch the boundaries of their cities. I am now ready to claim that no "city" can match Pinehurst  for the quality of courses located within 5 miles of downtown.

Southampton NY gives you NGLA, Shinnecock ,Sebonack and Southampton GC all within it's city limit.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »

Depending on what you consider the geographic center of San Francisco, they have both the Lake and Ocean courses at Olympic, SFGC, Harding Park, and Lake Merced (technically in Daly City) within a very short distance.

jim_lewis

« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Jud and Tim:

The original post asked us to name 10 courses, so I presume it takes 10 to play. I stopped at 10 but could have named more. Can you name the 10 courses in Bandon and Southampton?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:12:18 PM by jim_lewis »
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Edward Moody

« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2013, 04:31:17 PM »
Austin, Texas

1.  Austin Golf Club

then, in no particular order:

Austin Country Club
The Hills Country Club - Hills Course (early Nicklaus, a complete test)
Cimarron Hills
Barton Creek - Fazio 1 (Foothills)
Barton Creek - Fazio 2 (Canyons)
Spanish Oaks
Wolfdancer
University of Texas Golf Club (not a fan of the whole course, some good though)
Twin Creeks (interesting setting running through a river bed)

Tim Martin

« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2013, 04:46:46 PM »
Jud and Tim:

The original post asked us to name 10 courses, so I presume it takes 10 to play. I stopped at 10 but could have named more. Can you name the 10 courses in Bandon and Southampton?

If you look at Jeff Warne's reply # 4 and add Maidstone I believe Southampton wins going away. The courses I referenced are in the village and you could basically throw a blanket over them.

Doug Wright

« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
Denver, CO

1) Castle Pines Golf Club
2)  Cherry Hills
3) Colorado Golf Club
4) Sanctuary
5) Common Ground
6) Ravenna
7) Denver Country Club
8 ) Riverdale Dunes
9) Castle Pines Country Club
10) Murphy Creek

Wow! Not many guys from Denver here. To be honest I am surprised by the top of your list here. Granted, I have not played Castle Pines Golf Club, but there is no way that it is above CGC. Here is how my top 5 would look keeping in mind that I haven't played CPGC.

Denver

1. Colorado Golf Club
2. Cherry Hills
3. Castle Pines GC
4. Ravenna
5. CommonGround

I guess I'm surprised at both the above lists, primarliy because of the inclusion of Ravenna at #6 and #4 and Sanctuary in the top 5. Both are really "pretty" and amazing engineer feats but are they among the top 10 best golf courses in Denver? I don't think so. My list is as follows:

1) Cherry Hills
2) Castle Pines Golf Club
3) Colorado Golf Club
4) Denver Country Club
5) CommonGround
6) Castle Pines Country Club
7) Riverdale Dunes
8) Pradera
9) Lakewood Country Club
10) (Tie) Murphy Creek or Green Valley Ranch

Twitter: @Deneuchre

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »
Jim,

I'd say Bandon, OR has Pinehurst beat...

The clubhouse at Bandon Dunes Resort is about 7 miles from downtown Bandon.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »
Pretty good list Doug, in my experience.

I have not played Cherry Hills as of yet, but I would imagine it has to be #1 if not close.

I'm not an enormous fan of Castle Pines in comparison to the other top Denver tracks, so I might slot it at #6.  CP has the exclusivity, and the beautiful property, but I would likely choose to play CommonGround every time.

As for the bottom end, I would flip Pradera and Riverdale...they are close in quality...Pradera is more exciting.

I have to try Murphy and/or GVR one of these days...I have not played Ravenna either.

Is Sanctuary too far to be considered?  I might slot that in right in the middle...more fun than Pradera and CP(x2), but not in the top 5.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Felton

« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »
Within 40 minutes drive of my parents' house where I grew up would be:

Walton Heath Old and New
Sunningdale Old and New
Swinley Forest
Wentworth East
Woking
Worplesdon
St George's Hill
Effingham (biased - slightly)

Push that out a little bit and you can add Hankley Common and the Berkshire to that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back