News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nigel Islam

Re: Best courses in your city
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2013, 09:59:39 AM »
New Orleans Louisiana

1 Metairie CC
2 New Orleans CC
3 TPC Louisiana
4 English Turn
5 Lakewood CC
6 getting difficult now- Oak Harbor
7 Stonebridge
8 Chateau CC

Matt,

New Orleans seems a touch like Evansville with not a ton of depth. Good to know Metairie is a candidate for the top because that would be the course I would try to play there if I ever got the chance.

Phil Lipper

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2013, 10:03:50 AM »
Wouldn't you think about substituting Alpine for Manhattan Woods???

Yes but I dont think about Alpine or Montammy as being in Northern Bergen to me thats more southern. When I thought about geography the course that I debated about being in or out was Knickerbocker which I think geography wise relates more towards that GW Bridge portion of Bergen county.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
Jeff Warne, I am going to make your challenge even harder narrowing it down to 10 courses.

The New York Metropolitan area includes the most populous city in the United States (New York City); counties comprising Long Island and the Mid- and Lower Hudson Valley in the state of New York; the six largest cities in New Jersey (Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, Trenton, and Edison) and their vicinities; six of the seven largest cities in Connecticut (Bridgeport, New Haven, Stamford, Waterbury, Norwalk, and Danbury) and their vicinities; and five counties in Northeastern Pennsylvania, including the state's third-largest city of Allentown.

Good luck on coming up with only ten courses!  ;)

Jason Thurman

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2013, 10:35:47 AM »
Nigel, we might have talked about this already, but I really like Metairie a lot. It's probably the worst property for a course I've ever seen (two feet below sea level and L-shaped with about 4 feet of natural elevation change I would guess). But the poor property makes the course even more compelling for an architecture nerd. The templates really work nicely there and it's a lot of fun to play.

I haven't even played 10 courses in my current city I don't think, but I grew up playing and still play a ton of golf in Lexington.

1. Idle Hour

GAP

2. Champion Trace
3. Old Silo (a bit out of town)
4. Kearney Hill

GAP

5. Gibson Bay (a bit out of town)
6. Cherry Blossom (15 minutes up the interstate in Georgetown)
7. UK Club - Big Blue
8. Picadome (more interesting architecturally than anything else in this group)
9. UK Club - Wildcat

GAP

10. Houston Oaks (20 minutes east in Paris. The drive to the course from Lexington is my favorite drive in the state. The course itself is mundane)

Everything after the first two is public and can be played for less than $50 with a cart (they also are very affordable to walk, but Old Silo is a REALLY difficult walk). Including Old Silo and Gibson Bay might be a bit of a stretch, as they're 30 minutes or more from downtown. I'd rather make the drive to them than play anything closer though.

I haven't played the city's other privates. I suspect Lexington Country Club might slot into that second tier, but I'm not sure.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
I think Old Silo fits into my definition:

The Lexington–Fayette Metropolitan Statistical Area is the 106th-largest Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) in the United States. It was originally formed by the United States Census Bureau in 1950 and consisted solely of Fayette County until 1980 when surrounding counties saw increases in their population densities and the number of their residents employed within Lexington–Fayette, which led to them meeting Census criteria to be added to the MSA.
The Lexington–Fayette MSA is the primary MSA of the Lexington-Fayette–Richmond–Frankfort Combined Statistical Area which includes the Micropolitan Statistical Areas of Frankfort (Franklin and Anderson counties), Mount Sterling (Montgomery, Bath, and Menifee counties), and Richmond–Berea (Madison and Rockcastle counties). The Lexington-Fayette–Frankfort–Richmond Combined Statistical Area has a July 1, 2012 Census Bureau estimated population of 703,271.[2]

Carl Nichols

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
Hartford
1. Shuttle Meadow
2. Wampanoag
3. CC of Farmington
4. Wethersfield CC
5. Hartford GC

Tim--
I assume you've put them in order?  I haven't played most courses around Hartford in the last fifteen years, but of the ones I had played back in the day, and trying to get as close to ten as possible, I think I'd go:

1.  Hartford
2.  Wampanoag
3.  Farmington
4.  Wethersfield
5.  Avon [played more recently]
6. Hop Meadow
7. River Highlands
8. Simsbury Farms

Have never played Shuttle Meadow, Wintonbury, or Gillette Ridge.  

Dan Kelly

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2013, 11:41:29 AM »
I don't do rankings.

So to change the game...

If I had 10 rounds left to play in the Twin Cities and couldn't play any course more than once, here are my 10 choices ( in alphabetical order, today):

Interlachen (have never played but have walked many times)

Keller (lots of history; exciting-looking redesign by Rich Mandell)

Midland Hills (my home course -- and the area's best hidden gem, IMO)

Minikahda (abundance of history and fine holes)

Oak Ridge (another hugely under appreciated course)

Somerset (especially for the Redan No. 3)

Stillwater (have to play No. 10 one last time)

White Bear Yacht Club (sine qua non for quirk)

Windsong Farm (my favorite of the moderns; host is usually congenial)

Woodhill (haven't played in almost 40 years; loved it them)

Just missing the cut today (in alpha order): Golden Valley, Hazeltine, Minneapolis, North Oaks (haven't played since Lehman work),  Town&Country.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
San Francisco (city & San Mateo Co.)The Olympic Club-Lake
San Francisco GC
California GC of SF
Lake Merced GC
Harding Park GC    
Presidio GC                            
The Olympic Club-Ocean
Peninsula G&CC                      
Green Hills CC
Sharp Park GC      

Don't know enough about Menlo CC or Burlingame CC                                

San Francisco (Bay Area)
The Olympic Club-Lake
San Francisco GC                  
Pasatiempo GC
California GC of SF    
Meadow Club
Claremont CC                    
Lake Merced GC
Harding Park GC                              
TPC Stonebrae
Mira Vista GC

Philadelphia (Home town... it's in my blood)
Pine Valley GC
Merion GC-East
Aronimink GC
Huntington Valley GC
Philadelphia Cricket - Wissahickon
Rolling Green GC
Philadelphia CC -Spring Mill
Stonewall - Old
Applebrook GC
Gulph Mills GC

Nigel Islam

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
I don't do rankings.

So to change the game...

If I had 10 rounds left to play in the Twin Cities and couldn't play any course more than once, here are my 10 choices ( in alphabetical order, today):

Interlachen (have never played but have walked many times)

Keller (lots of history; exciting-looking redesign by Rich Mandell)

Midland Hills (my home course -- and the area's best hidden gem, IMO)

Minikahda (abundance of history and fine holes)

Oak Ridge (another hugely under appreciated course)

Somerset (especially for the Redan No. 3)

Stillwater (have to play No. 10 one last time)

White Bear Yacht Club (sine qua non for quirk)

Windsong Farm (my favorite of the moderns; host is usually congenial)

Woodhill (haven't played in almost 40 years; loved it them)

Just missing the cut today (in alpha order): Golden Valley, Hazeltine, Minneapolis, North Oaks (haven't played since Lehman work),  Town&Country.

Keller seems to be an interesting course that I do not know much about except that two majors were played there.

PCCraig

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
Keller seems to be an interesting course that I do not know much about except that two majors were played there.

Nigel,

Keller is a really good and really fun classic golf course that happens to be a local muni. Richard Mandell's work is really impressive and I think that the course will be far improved once it reopens next year. Not sure what the green fee will be next year, but it used to be ~$35. If someone were visiting from out of town to visit golf courses I would recommend it. 
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »
What is your list Pat?

MMcCollins

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »
Westchester, NY
In no order except my mind...

Winged Foot West
Winged Foot East
Sleepy Hollow
Quaker Ridge
Hudson National
Sunningdale
Fenway
Wykagyl
Bedford G&T
Century

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2013, 12:17:21 PM »
Since all the other places I've lived have been covered, I'll tackle Rochester, NY.
1. Oak Hill East
2. Country Club of Rochester
3. Monroe
4. Cobblestone Creek
5. Oak Hill West
6. Irondequoit
7. Stafford
8. Brook Lea
9. Greystone
10. Ravenwood

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
Westchester, NY

Winged Foot West
Winged Foot East
Sleepy Hollow
Quaker Ridge
Hudson National
Sunningdale
Fenway
Wykagyl
Bedford G&T
Century

Best collection of golf courses in proximity in the entire world.  Especially when you consider places like Whiporwill, Old Oaks, Apawamis, Blind Brook, Siwanoy, and Knollwood didn't make your 10.

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 12:32:09 PM »
Salt Lake City/Park City

Glenwild
Victory Ranch
Salt Lake CC
Promontory - Nicklaus (painted valley)
Willow Creek CC
Promontory - Dye
Tuhaye
Jeremy Ranch
Park Meadows
Wingpoint (airport course) - benefit of doubt, needs better conditioning

Carl Nichols

« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »
Westchester, NY

Winged Foot West
Winged Foot East
Sleepy Hollow
Quaker Ridge
Hudson National
Sunningdale
Fenway
Wykagyl
Bedford G&T
Century

Best collection of golf courses in proximity in the entire world.  Especially when you consider places like Whiporwill, Old Oaks, Apawamis, Blind Brook, Siwanoy, and Knollwood didn't make your 10.

I don't know if it's the best, but if you think about how very close some other great courses are--at least without traffic--it's a great list.  Garden City is a little less than thirty miles from Winged Foot; Piping Rock is a little more than thirty miles, and Creek Club is just a bit farther; Fairfield CC is about thirty miles; ditto for Engineers; Stanwich and Wee Burn are both closer than that; and there's also Westchester CC.

Alex Miller

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »
Sticking within Los Angeles Metro Area as illustrated here (there's always debate)

LACC North
Riviera
Wilshire CC
Bel Air
Hillcrest
Annandale
Palos Verdes
LACC South
El Cab
Lakeside

Hooray, all privates!  :-\

Note: feel free to disagree as I've only played half that list!

Sean_A

« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »
Well, I don't feel like I live in "Metropolitan" Birmingham, but being 40 minutes by car from the centre would certainly qualify by Mercan standards.

First off, there is nothing great in greater Birmingham.

Little Aston
Edgbaston
Beau Desert
Blackwell
Sutton Coldfield (winter only)
Whittington Heath
Harborne
Belfry Brabazon

After the above seven its a bit of a mish mash.  While in a city of its own, Worcester is 45 minutes from the centre of Brum and I think the next best.  Enville probably comes next.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Josh Tarble

« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2013, 12:59:21 PM »
Perhaps it was my list in the other thread that started this one...but I'll list my favorites for Indianapolis:

1: Broadmoor
2: Crooked Stick
3:  Wolf Run (only one on the list I haven't played)
4:  Brickyard Crossing
5:  Sagamore
6:  Trophy Club
7:  The Fort
8:  Purgatory
9:  Bear Slide
10:  Meridian Hills

You could probably interchange Broadmoor and Crooked Stick - Broadmoor having better greens, Crooked Stick having more interest off the tee - and you could probably have 4-7 in any of those spots really.  

Heartland Crossing is also very good and worth a play as a public as is Country Club of Indianapolis as a private. Close but probably don't quite make this list.

If you wanna say Rock Hollow is Indianapolis (I wouldn't), I'd put it probably 7 or 8 on the list.

Edit: I totally forgot to include two courses that are worth mentioning. One I've played (Sagamore) and one I haven't (Woodland).  I think Woodland is pretty good, but it's definitely definitely a must play for any Pete Dye fans.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:08:07 AM by Josh Tarble »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2013, 01:07:01 PM »
Objection! This thread discriminates against country folk.

That depends on what rural area you live in.

Bandon, OR

Bandon Dunes
Pacific Dunes
Shorty's
Bandon Trails
Old MacDonald
The Preserve
Punchbowl
The Sheep Ranch
Bandon Crossings
Old Bandon Golf Links
and hopefully
Bandon Muni
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joey Buckley

« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
Denver, CO

1) Castle Pines Golf Club
2)  Cherry Hills
3) Colorado Golf Club
4) Sanctuary
5) Common Ground
6) Ravenna
7) Denver Country Club
8 ) Riverdale Dunes
9) Castle Pines Country Club
10) Murphy Creek
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:09:10 PM by Joey Buckley »

Adam Warren

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
Ten, in alphabetical order and only includes courses I've played:

Audubon
Big Spring
Harmony Landing
Hurstbourne
Lake Forest
Louisville Country Club
Nevel Meade
Persimmon Ridge
Putt Putt Fun Center
Valhalla

Wow. I was feeling pretty great today until I compiled this humdinger of a list.

Terrible absence of publics for Louisville.  Only Nevel Meade makes the list.  I would throw in Chariot Run however.  I like it quite a bit more than several of those you have mentioned. Admittedly, I havent hit all of them, but certainly have them on my list.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
Perhaps it was my list in the other thread that started this one...but I'll list my favorites for Indianapolis:

1: Broadmoor
2: Crooked Stick
3:  Wolf Run (only one on the list I haven't played)
4:  Brickyard Crossing
5:  Trophy Club
6:  The Fort
7:  Purgatory
8:  Bear Slide
9:  Meridian Hills
10:  Heartland Crossing

You could probably interchange Broadmoor and Crooked Stick - Broadmoor having better greens, Crooked Stick having more interest off the tee - and you could probably have 4-7 in any of those spots really.  

If you wanna say Rock Hollow is Indianapolis (I wouldn't), I'd put it probably 7 or 8 on the list.

Sorry Josh, but it started when I was driving in Pittsburgh last week. I was just thinking how many very good courses were there that I had not even realized were that close together. I need to take you up on your offer to play Broadmoor in the near future. I used to drive by that course all the time when I lived in Indy.  

Adam Warren

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »
I haven't even played 10 courses in my current city I don't think, but I grew up playing and still play a ton of golf in Lexington.

1. Idle Hour

GAP

2. Champion Trace
3. Old Silo (a bit out of town)
4. Kearney Hill

GAP

5. Gibson Bay (a bit out of town)
6. Cherry Blossom (15 minutes up the interstate in Georgetown)
7. UK Club - Big Blue
8. Picadome (more interesting architecturally than anything else in this group)
9. UK Club - Wildcat

GAP

10. Houston Oaks (20 minutes east in Paris. The drive to the course from Lexington is my favorite drive in the state. The course itself is mundane)

Everything after the first two is public and can be played for less than $50 with a cart (they also are very affordable to walk, but Old Silo is a REALLY difficult walk). Including Old Silo and Gibson Bay might be a bit of a stretch, as they're 30 minutes or more from downtown. I'd rather make the drive to them than play anything closer though.

I haven't played the city's other privates. I suspect Lexington Country Club might slot into that second tier, but I'm not sure.

I am more familiar with the Lexington golf lists than Louisville, as I am still catching up on my courses since I moved here and just started back into the game last year.  However, the list is pretty spot on.  I haven't been to Idle Hour, but based on word of mouth I would certainly agree it likely tops the list.  Lex CC certainly fits in the list somewhere, probably at number 5 at the top of the third tier.  I understand that Keene Run is quite a good course as well.  Another I have not been to, but based on what I have heard from multiple people it may slide into the upper third tier as well.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Ten, in alphabetical order and only includes courses I've played:

Audubon
Big Spring
Harmony Landing
Hurstbourne
Lake Forest
Louisville Country Club
Nevel Meade
Persimmon Ridge
Putt Putt Fun Center
Valhalla

Wow. I was feeling pretty great today until I compiled this humdinger of a list.

Not sure but I think "Golf Shores" in Corydon (wehere I grew up) might outrank the Putt Putt Fun Center ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back