News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Re: Dismal Red vs Ballyneal, a boxing match
« Reply #500 on: October 23, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »
David,

I do regret going there, but given I have exactly zero skin in the game, I don't have any motivation to help Ballyneal and its ownership other than by paying dues for the right to play golf with my friends and family. If Ballyneal were on the brink of closing down, that would obviously impact me, but the club seems to be in excellent shape.

In the end, I was supporting Chris's statement that clubs in fact don't compete, since despite lacking in beds, carts, number of courses and food (the food really is excellent there) and amenities, all of which are difficult/impossible to refute, Ballyneal has been able to find plenty of guys willing to sign up for that brand of golf. And if CJ is turning away guys who don't fit, they are clearly in it for the long haul too. Both will be great turnaround stories.

DMoriarty

« Reply #501 on: October 23, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »
I understand Jim.  I was just trying to honestly answer Chris questions.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Chris Johnston

« Reply #502 on: October 23, 2013, 05:27:07 PM »
David - Duly noted. And, thanks for the concern.    

Jim - I have no problem whatever with your post.  I think it's cool that Ballyneal is doing well.  Congrats!

btw - anyone win the book?  I'm curious as they all look cool.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:42:52 PM by Chris Johnston »

Brandon Urban

« Reply #503 on: October 23, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »
David- I really think you're looking at this the wrong way. In the grand scheme of things does it really matter? Even if Chris is making backhanded comments and subtle digs, which I don't think he is, it isn't that big of a deal. I mean, if you know someone that has joined Dismal River based solely on Chris making a comment about steak, showers, or grass on an internet message board full of a bunch of architecture dorks without doing a ton of research, visiting the different clubs, and asking tons of questions of lots of people then please pass along their contact info. I have some gorgeous oceanfront property just down the street from me in Northeast Kansas that I would like to sell them.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

DMoriarty

« Reply #504 on: October 23, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
Brandon,  To try and answer your question . . . While I wish DR the best, it doesn't matter at all to me whether his sales attempts are successful or even whether potential customers view them as heavy-handed.

What matters to me is frank discussion of golf course architecture, and in my opinion that becomes very difficult when the proprietor of a golf club is here trying to sell product. But I've already said my piece on that and am glad to let it go at that.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #505 on: October 23, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
David,

I do regret going there, but given I have exactly zero skin in the game, I don't have any motivation to help Ballyneal and its ownership other than by paying dues for the right to play golf with my friends and family. If Ballyneal were on the brink of closing down, that would obviously impact me, but the club seems to be in excellent shape.

You have exactly zero skin in the game. Who are you kidding?  Any of us who love our clubs have an emotional investment beyond whatever financial outlays may have occurred in the past. I would guess you are solely responsible for bringing in at least 20 new members to Ballyneal. How many more could that have been if you only cared?

Every time I meet a new member of Dismal it makes me very proud. I want people to join, in droves no less. What is good for the club is good for me and good for my friends. I have "skin in the game".

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #506 on: October 23, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
Brandon,  To try and answer your question . . . While I wish DR the best, it doesn't matter at all to me whether his sales attempts are successful or even whether potential customers view them as heavy-handed.

What matters to me is frank discussion of golf course architecture, and in my opinion that becomes very difficult when the proprietor of a golf club is here trying to sell product. But I've already said my piece on that and am glad to let it go at that.

Please, you were a charter member of the Rustic Rah Rah's.

Jim Colton

« Reply #507 on: October 23, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
David,

You have exactly zero skin in the game. Who are you kidding?  Any of us who love our clubs have an emotional investment beyond whatever financial outlays may have occurred in the past. I would guess you are solely responsible for bringing in at least 20 new members to Ballyneal. How many more could that have been if you only cared?

Every time I meet a new member of Dismal it makes me very proud. I want people to join, in droves no less. What is good for the club is good for me and good for my friends. I have "skin in the game".

JK, I have sponsored two members since the time that I joined Ballyneal. You are right that I have an emotional attachment to the place, no argument there. But given where the club is at currently, I don't have any need or desire to drum up new business for them. If somebody asks me about membership, I'll tell them the pros and cons of joining and let them decide for themselves.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #508 on: October 23, 2013, 06:17:28 PM »
David,

JK, I have sponsored two members since the time that I joined Ballyneal. You are right that I have an emotional attachment to the place, no argument there. But given where the club is at currently, I don't have any need or desire to drum up new business for them. If somebody asks me about membership, I'll tell them the pros and cons of joining and let them decide for themselves.

I'm sorry, I had no idea they hurt you so deeply.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back