News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Wellmon

Re: Dismal Red vs Ballyneal, a boxing match
« Reply #300 on: October 16, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »

Hole 12...Ballyneal 10-9
Hole 13...Ballyneal 10-9
Hole 1...Dismal Doak 10-9
Hole 2...Push
Hole 3...Ballyneal 10-9
Hole 4...Dismal Doak 10-8
Hole 5...Ballyneal 10-9
Hole 6...Dismal Doak 10-8
Hole 7...Ballyneal 10-8
Hole 8...Ballyneal 10-8
Hole 9...Dismal Doak 10-8
Hole 10...Push
Hole 11...Dismal Doak 10-8
Hole 14...Dismal Doak 10-9
Hole 15...Dismal Doak 10-8

As I mentioned previously, the 14th on the Red course at Dismal River is something extra special with almost limitless ways to play the hole.  And I mean limitless.  Ballyneal's 14th is another really good hole...but the "equifinality" aspect of the hole at Dismal Doak is off the charts.

Hole 15 at Ballyneal is a cool par 3.  Very fun.  But Dismal Red 15 is another mind-bottling golf hole.  You know, it is so incredible that it feels like it takes your mind and wraps it up inside a little bottle.  It is the "equifinality" aspects of this hole (and 14) that make them "ideal" golf holes.  You can drive the green at Dismal Red, if conditions are met.  You can play putter off the tee.  Here is a GREAT photo that Eric Smith took of me actually putting after laying up with an iron (I think it was a 5 iron).  The putt was 120 yards and I ran it up and down those swales and onto the green.  And this highlights the currently PERFECT maintenance meld of the course.  Really fast and firm fairways to compliment fast and firm greens.  Links golf in the amazing setting of the Sandhills of Nebraska.

**Side note...As was mentioned earlier in this thread, it doesn't matter who "wins" this boxing match.  This kind of comparison is fun to do, but can never be a de jure definition concerning which courses is "better."  It all comes down to one's individual tastes in golf.  Furthermore, both courses are REALLY good...and probably great.  And finally, to simply go hole by hole overlooks a lot of really important details behind understanding the overall quality of a golf course, maintenance meld, routing, walkability, winds impact, how do the challenge stack up and build on one another, etc, etc, etc...and perhaps most importantly, at least to me, what kind of feelings does it evoke in the golfer as he (or she) is playing it.

Did you photoshop either the course or you in this pic?
It really did happen, I was standing there. Mac was in Nebraska.  :P
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:38:17 PM by Bruce Wellmon »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Thanks again to the contributers on this thread.

Thanks also for the photos and comments on #16.  In several ways it reminds me of the 8th at Crystal Downs - as Tom D knows, one of the very few Par 5s I've ever really liked, let alone loved. Uphill and turning and small green there too, though in CD's case, it was going left of the green that was the big trouble.

Peter  

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »
16th Holes:

I've had the hardest time yet comparing these two holes.  They are so different, yet both are excellent in their own ways.  Ballyneal's 16th has been explained very well by others.  It's a wonderful risk/reward par 5.  You can play conservatively off of the tee but the hole then gets exponentially harder from there as you are faced with a difficult lay up and approach shot.  A well struck drive is rewarded with a chance to go after the green, a shot that really gets the blood pumping.  There are plenty of difficult spots around the greensite if you get squirrely with your second.  It's an excellent par 5, especially late in the round.

Dismal's 16th changes dramatically based on the pin position.  In Cliff Walston's excellent photo tour, he has a very good view of the hole and you can better see the green and green surrounds.  There are so many good pin positions here, and with a short iron in hand you must really decide how aggressive you want to be.  The stunning setting, backdrop and the sound of the flowing dismal river only add to the hole.  

Two excellent holes, it's a tie for me.....10-10

Card:
1.  Dismal 10-9
2.  Dismal 10-9
3.  Push 10-10
4.  Ballyneal 10-9
5.  Ballyneal 10-9
6.  Dismal 10-9
7.  Ballyneal 10-9
8.  Ballyneal 10-8
9.  Dismal 10-8
10.  Push 10-10
11.  Dismal  10-9
12.  Ballyneal  10-9
13.  Dismal  10-9
14.  Dismal  10-9
15.  Dismal  10-8
16.  Push  10-10

Dismal remains 3 holes up on my card.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #303 on: October 16, 2013, 10:02:46 PM »
Hole 1...Dismal Doak 10-9
Hole 2...Push
Hole 3...Ballyneal 10-9
Hole 4...Dismal Doak 10-8
Hole 5...Ballyneal 10-9
Hole 6...Dismal Doak 10-8
Hole 7...Ballyneal 10-8
Hole 8...Ballyneal 10-8
Hole 9...Dismal Doak 10-8
Hole 10...Push
Hole 11...Dismal Doak 10-8
Hole 12...Ballyneal 10-9
Hole 13...Ballyneal 10-9
Hole 14...Dismal Doak 10-9
Hole 15...Dismal Doak 10-8
Hole 16...Push

Damn...the battle on the 16th hole is intense in my book.  That green at Dismal Doak is as good as it gets in golf.  Simply amazing.  But I think the same can be said for the entire hole at Ballyneal.  For every tit, there is a tat.  They push.  Two great golf holes.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2013, 05:53:37 AM »
Round 17.  LSU

I will be attending a LSU football game this weekend which will leave me little choice but to think of our friend John Bernhardt.  This round is dedicated to his memory.

It has been well documented that Doak himself feels that the 17th hole at Ballyneal is one of his favorite holes on the course.  I recall the first time I saw the hole being mesmerized by the tiered shelf of a fairway.  Doak even once played a little guessing game questioning what was man made vs natural to impress us all with the fact that this shelf was indeed manufactured by "melting" several dunes.  The hole is a classic representation of difficult par 4 following a interesting par 5.  Without question a 10 on any card.

The Red 17th begins with a one point deduction for the use of an artificial aiming device.  Perhaps because of the newness of the course and the frequency of first time visitor play the golfer is treated to skull on a stick.  As I did on the 12th, and have referenced the great NGLA, I can not give this a pass.  Sure, it is the blindest tee shot I have ever played.  Sure, it sits on a hill where to walk or drive up to see what lays ahead would be improbable.  Sure, it makes everyones life easier.  That doesn't fly.  1 point deduct.

After the drive, a forced vertical challenge, the golfer has the pleasure of walking up a tough hill at the end of a round.  An oxygen robbing exercise that prepares your brain for an exhilarating visual stimulation.  After spending hour upon hours of seeing so much you though you had seen it all you are treated to a flashback.  The fairways of 14 through 17 in all their glory, the clubhouse, the horseshoes, the glory of the Sand Hills.  John would have relished in the beauty of that moment.  Or maybe not.  Here is where, like perhaps a handful of few others, a great reveal is provided to those who choose to walk while playing this great game.  This single moment makes it worth it.

Verdict.  As a tribute to my friend John and a shout out to another unnamed buddy:  Ballyneal 10 - 8

Running card:

1.  Red 10 - 8
2.  BN  10 - 9
3.  BN  10 - 8
4.  Red 10 - 9
5.  Red 10 - 8
6   Red 10 - 9
7.  BN   10 - 9
8.  BN   10 - 8
9.  Red  10 - 9
10. BN  10 - 9
11. Red 10 - 9
12. BN  10 - 8
13. Red 10 - 9
14. Red 10 - 8
15. BN  10 - 9
16. Red 10 - 9
17. BN  10 - 8

The fight is even going into the 18th round.  The winner will be announced at 9 am central time tomorrow morning.  It has been a long and arduous road but who would have believed it could come down to one hole.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »
"The Red 17th begins with a one point deduction for the use of an artificial aiming device.  Perhaps because of the newness of the course and the frequency of first time visitor play the golfer is treated to skull on a stick.  As I did on the 12th, and have referenced the great NGLA, I can not give this a pass."

Should one prevent a caddie from walking ahead and standing on the proper line? I got that @ NGLA. My mistake.
Should one discourage a caddie from giving advice on which line to take? I got that at Shinnecock. My mistake.

Too bad half points are not available. A 10% penalty seems severe.

Nice thread.
Hard work.
Much appreciated.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #306 on: October 17, 2013, 11:14:39 AM »
Jeff,

You can't lay a towel on the ground or have your caddie use a laser pointer. I don't see the difference. Private courses should give her members a home court advantage. Artificial aiming devices even the playing field. Then again, that is what people demand.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #307 on: October 17, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »
I don't see a problem with aiming aids. Artificial or natural, some of the best courses I've played All have them. Hell, the little butt crack, on the other side of the river in the horseshoe, is your aim on approach to #9. The 14th fairway is your aiming aid on the 8th at Cypress. Old Mac has the bowling pin. Pebble has rocks in the hillside on a couple of holes.

On 17 at DRR, it's really fairly obvious where to go. You can't go way right, and one should see that. One should know where 18 green is, so figuring out where the hole goes, ain't rocket science.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kirk

« Reply #308 on: October 17, 2013, 01:00:52 PM »
During the construction of Old Macdonald, the workers found a bowling ball in the dunes, put it on a stick, and used that as the aiming line over the Alps on hole #16.  That was awesome.  I wish they had kept it.

Here's the tee shot at Dismal River's 17th hole, courtesy of Cliff Walston.  I played it from 454 yards, and it looked pretty intimidating.  Chris Johnston had stopped by to see how we were doing.  Together we estimated the carry distance at 200-210 yards from the back tee.  I drop-kicked my tee shot and didn't make it.  Any semi-solid drive with some elevation will clear the native and make the fairway.

A beautiful golf hole, a bit quirky.  Looking for knowledgeable opinions and a few anecdotes here.  It seems quite difficult; the approach shot plays quite short, and appears to require a bounce-in shot for short pins, even with a short iron approach.  Here is a nice detail photo of the 17th green, courtesy of L.C. Lambrecht:

L.C. Lambrecht also donates this photo of the 17th hole at Ballyneal for the purpose of this thread:

The 17th hole at Ballyneal has four or five separate teeing areas all between about 455-480 yards, from different angles and lengths.  Standing on the tee box, you get the sense you are heading back to the barn with two long par 4s, another similarity between these two courses.

It is a difficult hole to reach in two shots, regardless of wind conditions, but nearly impossible with the less common northern wind in your face.  I try to drive the ball down the center, at the high mound just right of the clubhouse.  If I pull the tee shot, I end up with a long ,usually blind second shot over that mound.  Pushed tee shots fall down, usually short of the big fairway bunker complex, and require a blind mid-iron over the bunker.  That is the second best choice.  Best are long straight shots that settle into the "A" position, a little flat position next to the fairway bunker for a shorter iron approach.

Long hitters like Jon Spaulding and Alex Miller can bust it all the over the trouble and onto the downslope; most players should be happy to play the hole in three shots.  The land a wedge away from the green is pretty gentle.  Missing the green left is usually much better than missing right.

The green is very undulating, as shown in the photo.  Par is a great score; birdies are to be cherished.  I'm not 100% sure where this photo of the 17th green comes from.  It's probably a Dick Durrance creation:

The two 17th holes are another example that show Dismal River has more blind tee shots, while Ballyneal has more blind approach shots.

One of my favorite memories at Ballyneal #17 was when John Kavanaugh sank a 20 foot birdie putt to win a match, Kavanaugh-Robin over Kirk-Darling.  Another different memory, completely unrelated to the first, was a day when I had a Hispanic caddie who knew nothing about golf, and spoke English as a second language, but was athletic, a soccer player.  After going all day without asking him how he thought a putt would break, I had a thirty footer for birdie on #17 and asked him how he thought the putt would roll.  He thought about it, hemmed and hawed and said, "Left to right?  About a foot?".  I said I agree, and then I went and made it.  When I looked at him silently, the moment was too much to bear, he demurred and couldn't return the eye contact.  It was just fantastic.

That's what Dismal River needs next, a few years to collect great memories.

Ballyneal wins (10-9).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:29:02 PM by John Kirk »

George Pazin

« Reply #309 on: October 17, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »
Maybe boxing wouldn't have fallen off the map if the judges were more liberal with 10-8, 10-7 and even 10-6 rounds. It would allow for a lot more nuance. Instead, they may as well go back to the rounds system. Or better yet, pack it in entirely.

Carry on...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Eric Smith

« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »
Not so fast my friend! Are you telling us that after you made this heroic 30 footer for birdie, Kavanaugh topped you with a 20 footer of his own? Wow, that is quite the ending to a match. Or upon rereading your post I'm now guessing you are probably recollecting two different days entirely. If so, please ignore my post. Good day!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:18:50 PM by Eric Smith »

John Kirk

« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »
Not so fast my friend! Are you telling us that after you made this heroic 30 footer for birdie, Kavanaugh topped you with a 20 footer of his own? Wow, that is quite the ending to a match. Or upon rereading your post I'm now guessing you are probably recollecting two different days entirely. If so, please ignore my post. Good day!

Dear Emily,

I will modify the offending paragraph to clarify the two separate instances.

Photo of Emily Litella:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:29:21 PM by John Kirk »

Eric Smith

« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »
"Never mind."

DMoriarty

« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:40 PM »
George,  Maybe.   But on the other hand it is way too easy to fix fights and manipulate outcomes when judges start handing those scores out absent a knockdown or very thorough beating.  Take John's No-Skulls-on-the-Ground 10-8 round, for example.  It may create his desirable dramatic last hole showdown, but is doubling the value of the hole because of the aiming point really more nuanced?   Speaking of which . . .

Barney,

Still hoping for some clarification about why some holes are recklessly leading with their chins and thus getting knocked down.  I really do think that could lead to some interesting conversation.  Is your No-Skulls-on-the-Ground 10-8 round such an example?   I've been racking my brain to try and think of my own and have come up with a few possibilities from the comments.  Most of which are from holes past so I'll hold off on the questions so as to not interrupt the flow.  

One possibility, though, is coming up on the next hole.  My understanding is that the 18th at DR finishes nowhere near the clubhouse or even the first hole.   Now that seems like leading with your chin and risking a potential knockdown/knockout to me, and a much more significant architectural feature than a skull on the ground.  Is this the sort of "recklessness" you had in mind?   I guess we will have to wait until tomorrow to find out whether the course takes any hit at all for the risky routing decision.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »
"Only the dead know Brooklyn."

DMoriarty

« Reply #315 on: October 17, 2013, 02:39:43 PM »
I am pretty sure that is what C.J. Ross said, but you can do better than that.  Help me out here. I only want to get to Bensonhoist. I like the sound of it. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #316 on: October 17, 2013, 02:49:14 PM »
I'm sitting in an airport Holiday Inn learning about asphalt pavements. My behavior is bordering on rudeness. Patience. It will all be over tomorrow.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2013, 08:30:01 PM »
I'm sitting in an airport Holiday Inn learning about asphalt pavements. My behavior is bordering on rudeness. Patience. It will all be over tomorrow.

Why aren't you teaching that class?

Stephen Davis

« Reply #318 on: October 17, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »
The 16th holes on Dismal Red and Ballyneal are very tough to compare. One is one of my favorite Par 5s out there and the site of one of my greatest golf triumphs. It plays so differently depending on the wind. With the wind or no wind and I am down in the Bowl of Achievement as John Kirk called it, and into the wind and I am struggling to get up the hill and am contemplating laying up in the Bowl of Achievement to insure that I don't get into the massive blow out bunkers on the right of the fairway. Great green and I love the placement of the bunker right in the front of the green. Great thinkers hole. 16 at Dismal Red is a really great hole that I was amazed at when it was only dirt. The contours on the green are fantastic as has been stated. Maybe my favorite 3 on the course. Due to the fact that they are both great holes and the difference inherent between par 3s and par 5s I am calling this one a draw. 10-10

The 17th holes are also very solid and the blind drive on Dismal Red is a really neat shot. There was no skull there when I played it, so that is neither a plus or a minus. All and all it is a really fun hole from tee to green. That being said, the 17th at Ballyneal is a truly great hole and can be decisive in a match play environment. I love the tee shot and trying to get the ball down the slope and onto the level area to give yourself a shot at the green. I love the approach shot from here. The pin is often protecteed by the bunker in the front right and from the flat area next to the right fairway bunker, the approach is a fairly level on. BUT it is a really tough shot and one when stuck is the highlight of the round. I love the green on this hole and I think this hole is a true gem. BN 10-9.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #319 on: October 18, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
Drum roll please........
Mr Hurricane

John Kirk

« Reply #320 on: October 18, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »
Up very early this morning.  I couldn't sleep; maybe I wanted to finish this.

The 18th hole at the Dismal River (Red) course is 447 yards long from the back tee.  I played this hole from 420 yards, as the tee was close to the 17th green.

This tee shot sets up nicely for me, at least from the 420 yard tee.  The fairway is deep, and banked to catch long pulls a bit left of my intended line.  Over multiple plays I would drive the ball well here.  From the back tee, playing more straight on, would be a tougher line.  There is deep trouble, the Dismal River, all down the right side.

From 420 yards, playing downhill to a green without a significant back to front cant, a high or spinning approach shot is needed to hold the green.  Based on this picture, and one comment I heard, I assume the best shot is to aim a bit right and let the contour push the ball towards the back left of the green.

Once again, thanks a lot to Cliff Walston for providing additional photographs:

1.  Have members and repeat players found that the best angle of approach differs based on pin position?  It seems under calm conditions, it might be better to be way out left to get at short (right from this picture) hole locations, whereas downwind I'd like to be on the right side, so I could try to use the whole length of the green.

2.  The swale short of the green is very attractive, but it would play havoc with my game, especially into the wind.  Into the wind, how does anybody get the ball onto the green?  I can only hit low shots right to left, as I play them back in the stance and "trap" them.  A low straight shot won't really do, either.

3.  Would this hole be considered a variant of the Cape design?

The 18th hole at Ballyneal plays up to 464 yards, though it is usually played at 430 yards, curving left and slightly uphill.  It usually plays downwind (S-SE wind) in the warm season.  It is the least undulating hole on the golf course, a relatively gentle finisher on the edge of the chop hills.  There is trouble all down the left side, a couple of deep bunkers for tee shots missed low and left.

I don't have a good picture of the tee shot easily available.  I'm sure I could find one if I looked.  Here's a picture of the green from the left side of the fairway, about 75-100 yards out.  Those front bunkers are deep and difficult hazards, though they have been softened a bit in recent years.  They dictate play from the tee.  If the pin is on the right side, or in the center behind the bunkers, you are better off approaching from the right side of the fairway.  If the pin is left, the left side of the fairway is desirable.  This L-L and R-R relationship is uncommon; generally golf holes, if they have a preferred angle of attack, have a L-R or R-L relationship.

It is very easy to come up short when playing for a left pin placement here, and then it is very easy to leave your next shot short, only to watch the ball roll back to your feet.

The front right of the green is very steep, so front right pins demand good distance control.

One more picture from Larry Lambrecht's fine collection.  I can't thank him enough for letting me do this.  I've got a couple ideas on how I can reciprocate.

The 18th hole at Dismal River is lovely, but I just don't see how it matches up with Ballyneal's 18th hole, which is one of my favorites on the course.  They are both very attractive to me, but Ballyneal's final hole encourages a long running shot to the right half of the green, especially when playing into the wind.  Dismal River's 18th hole close to the Dismal River, and there will be missed shots into the hazard, and more final hole tragedy and disappointment here.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority here.  Ballyneal wins.  (10-9)

To review, this is how I scored it.

1 - Ballyneal
2 - Tie
3 - Dismal River
4 - Ballyneal
5 - Dismal River
6 - Dismal River
7 - Ballyneal
8 - Ballyneal
9 - Dismal River

10 - Ballyneal
11 - Tie
12 - Ballyneal
13 - Tie
14 - Dismal River
15 - Tie
16 - Ballyneal
17 - Ballyneal
18 - Ballyneal

In terms of match play, I would have Ballyneal winning 3-1, and then winning #18 as well.  Please understand that I think Ballyneal is the greatest golf course I've ever played.  Ballyneal is unique in the number of green complexes that offer alternate routes of attack to flagsticks.  Often they are "backstops", but there are also trenches and bowls where short game plays are best played by hitting away from the hole and letting the slope bring it back.

I think the holes where I may have picked the wrong winner include 1, 4, 5, 6, and 15.  The match could have been closer, even tied.  I do think Ballyneal has other characteristics, like having returning nines to the clubhouse, which do matter in an overall assessment.  But hole by hole it's close, which bodes well for Dismal River in rankings.

Ballyneal is blessed with a wonderful progression of holes.  The first few are easier, with alternating short and long approaches.  Holes 7-9 are birdie opportunities, and then the back nine is longer and requires better shot execution to make pars.  Dismal River is quite similar in this regard.  From holes 5-14, only hole 10 was a different par (4 vs. 5) designation.

An argument can be made that Dismal River has the advantage of traversing two separate ecosystems, the dunes and the river wetlands.

If there's one question in the comprehensive test of golf that Ballyneal does not require, it is the significantly uphill or downhill approach shot.  Approaches play between one club uphill or downhill.  At Dismal River, holes 2, 7, 8, and 13 all play more than one club different for elevation.  The tradeoff is walkability.  As a result, Dismal River is a more demanding walk, but the walk is concise and beautifully minimized.

Dismal River also requires a high drive more often than Ballyneal.  I don't think it's correct to suggest that Tom Doak hasn't ever required a high drive.  Pacific Dunes' 9th hole requires a long, high tee shot.

As much as I love Ballyneal, it might lose a hole-by-hole battle to either Pacific Dunes or Sand Hills.  In particular, Pacific Dunes fares well in that sort of analysis.

An argument can be made that Ballyneal's wild greens, with their bowls and trenches, do not yield a reasonable distribution of putts.  Are there too few medium to long putts that only break a little?  I don't think so, but Ballyneal does has a small percentage of really unusual putts, up and over a big hump, trickling down to the hole.  By comparison, I find the putting and chipping at the great Sand Hills Golf Club less compelling, a more traditional set of back-to-front sloping disks.  At Sand Hills, you get gently curving balls on the green.

Courses like this, on sand with dry grass, which allow the "running game", are superior to virtually any soft turf golf course.  I might think that Riviera was superior to Ballyneal in terms of layout, but the kikuyu grass limits one's playing options dramatically.  Despite the conventional wisdom that the Golden Age courses are generally superior designs, I feel the best of these new courses, using modern agronomic practices, make for the best golf.

One thing I would very much like to see at both courses.  I want yardages to the center of the greens on the sprinkler heads.  I don't want to buy a range finder.  I don't want to buy an "app" that calculates GPS distances to the center of the green.  I don't want to use a toy, but I want fairly accurate distance the almost old-fashioned way, by walking it off from a nearby landmark.  I wish both clubs would do this.  I just don't care for gadgets much, but I can't score well if I don't know distances.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:25:06 AM by John Kirk »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #321 on: October 18, 2013, 09:49:44 AM »
Round 18.  "Only the dead know Brooklyn."

6, 7, 8....Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.  Pandemonium erupts as both fighters are escorted back to their corners.  Silence comes over the crowd as the referee reads the card.  Judge Kavanaugh scores the bout. 168 - 165.

The "Sweet Science" is called such because often strategy wins over brawn.  An unexpected challenger can take down a champ with a single bold move or a series of body shots that appear to be love taps to the uninitiated.  This bout was over for all intents and purposes when the road was crossed.  For the first eight rounds we were treated to similar athletes trained in the same gym with similar crews and the same trainer.  Common sense would dictate that the bout remained close. This along with the kitchen sink is out the window in the 18th round.

The 18th at Ballyneal is an efficient hole making its way back near the clubhouse.  A classic par 4 who is known best for a semi-erotic bunker formation.  A fine necessary hole if you believe two things, one being that a course should have 18 holes and two, the 18th needs to return to a location where under normal conditions you can walk back to your car.

The Red 18th takes another route being that it is simply the best hole possible given a thousand acres from which to choose.  In humanistic terms the green is no further from the clubhouse than the first tee.  As you play the hole you are being witnessed by literally a million eyes of any given species two of which may be a friend sitting out at the fire pit waiting for your return.  The beauty of this is that you are no larger than spec in the distance which reserves you the right to tell lies.  I've never minded being watched if the voyeur can't tell what I'm doing.  The clubhouse view of dots of color moving across the landscape is also an unexpected treat.  No whispering or worry about sudden movements.  An opaque view into another golfers world.

The hole itself reflects the personality of the architect.  I may not have built the fescue pods which catch balls hit weak and right.  They sit as a warning to not challenge the river but are a greater penalty than a watery grave.  You have to stay left, like we didn't know that already.  After a successful drive you are again faced with an odd combination of fescue and ridges so far from the green they seem to again serve as a reminder to not top your approach.  Really, thanks, I forgot that I'm not supposed to top the ball.  An intellectual browbashing similar to the routing, oh, genius routing, that leads us to believe at the start that we are just on another great course but finishes teaching us what we should have known all along.  Its simple after all.  Find the best 18 holes in a row that you can on an 18 hole course. Put the 2nd tee near the 1st green and so on and so on.  Play 18 holes and start all over again.  What you do between rounds is your own business.  This isn't something new or better, it is just exactly what it should be.  An intellectual exercise in jeans.

Ballyneal was indeed saved by the bell.  Red wins round eighteen 10 - 7 and is crowned the new undefeated Intercontinental Champion.

Running card:

1.  Red 10 - 8
2.  BN  10 - 9
3.  BN  10 - 8
4.  Red 10 - 9
5.  Red 10 - 8
6   Red 10 - 9
7.  BN   10 - 9
8.  BN   10 - 8
9.  Red  10 - 9
10. BN  10 - 9
11. Red 10 - 9
12. BN  10 - 8
13. Red 10 - 9
14. Red 10 - 8
15. BN  10 - 9
16. Red 10 - 9
17. BN  10 - 8
18. Red 10 - 7

Jason Thurman

« Reply #322 on: October 18, 2013, 10:02:29 AM »
As you play the hole you are being witnessed by literally a million eyes of any given species two of which may be a friend sitting out at the fire pit waiting for your return.  The beauty of this is that you are no larger than spec in the distance which reserves you the right to tell lies.  I've never minded being watched if the voyeur can't tell what I'm doing.

These three sentences are actually kind of beautiful. They sound like something Hunter Thompson might have written after listening to a lot of Bob Dylan and watching a Hitchcock movie.

This has been a fun thread and only has me more excited to come back to the sand hills and play both courses. Thanks a lot to everyone who contributed, including those who still have a post or two left.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #323 on: October 18, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »
thanks to the JKs and everyone else, especially for the photos.

John - what is your favourite golf hole overall, i.e. on either course?

Peter

Adam Clayman

« Reply #324 on: October 18, 2013, 11:01:47 AM »
One thing I would very much like to see at both courses.  I want yardages to the center of the greens on the sprinkler heads.  I don't want to buy a range finder.  I don't want to buy an "app" that calculates GPS distances to the center of the green.  I don't want to use a toy, but I want fairly accurate distance the almost old-fashioned way, by walking it off from a nearby landmark.  I wish both clubs would do this.  I just don't care for gadgets much, but I can't score well if I don't know distances.

Spaulding!

C'mon John. You have two eyes and a brain.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back