News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: 2014 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2014, 06:55:45 PM »
Is there going to be a Chiropractor in the group?  ;D

Not sure, but we should be ok if any dental emergencies were to arise. ;D

Alright guys and gals, it looks like we have a full field or will have in short order. Here are the teams.

If you find any errors in this list, please let me know asap. Thanks!

This takes me back to grade school when I was the last person chosen. My parents said I must be special, but I think they were biased.

Eric Smith

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »

This takes me back to grade school when I was the last person chosen. My parents said I must be special, but I think they were biased.

Oh man -  no way, Pete! I initially had you paired with someone else, but when Ace started chirping in my ear ;D I decided to roll the dice and put you two legends together. Sorry it didn't work out but trust me you're going to have a great partner in the 5th Major.

Mark Steffey

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
if anyone had looked into commonground for a getaway round and saw that due to the flood last fall they were not going to open until July 1st....WELL ----- mgmt (i read) had decided to re-sod the greens instead of re-seed and the course is planning on opening June 1st - maybe earlier depending on the spring.

therefore if you want to play near DIA you have another option.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2014, 09:14:48 PM »
Anyone play that Bayside in Ogallala...is it any good..looking for something to play possibly wed or thurs before the Major.

any information on it would be appreciated

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2014, 09:46:05 PM »
If you want to spend the night Bayside is the Greg Zipadelli of pit stops. Affordable, exciting and visually stimulating. If you want a quick stop and play Bunker Hill in Brush, CO is my favorite. 

Brandon Urban

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »
Our group had a great time at Bayside last year. Fun golf course. Added bonus, the back nine is a great workout.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
John,

I will check out Bayside. I like a golf course with the same descriptions I like in a gentlemans club- Affordable, exciting and Visually stimulating. ;D ;D

Keith Grande

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2014, 08:46:45 AM »
I perfer "pleasurable excitement, but that's just me.  ;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2014, 09:25:09 AM »
Bayside is a hoot.  You really can't go wrong there.  You even get some grist for the mill with a couple of controversial designed holes.   But they are fun to play, despite that you might find a couple holes over the top.  The front nine may be one of the best public 9 holes available to play in Nebraska. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Eric Smith

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2014, 10:22:19 AM »
I'm stopping at Bayside in search of a clay man. :)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
I enjoyed Bayside and recommend it.  The shaping and features there are outstanding, yet the parts do not come close to making the whole.  Even the best builders need a good architect.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2014, 03:25:35 PM »
Looks like Wednesday at Bayside for me. That way I'll have an easy drive to Dismal River for some practice acclimatizing on Thursday.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
If you want to spend the night Bayside is the Greg Zipadelli of pit stops. Affordable, exciting and visually stimulating. If you want a quick stop and play Bunker Hill in Brush, CO is my favorite. 

Greg Zipadelli reference.
+1

Eric Smith

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2014, 04:29:46 PM »

Pete - Your partner has arrived! Alex Miller just confirmed he's in, so you're all set.

Cheers

Matt Elliot

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »
I recommend Bayside!  I will be out there June 19th for a day of 36 holes!.  Front nine is a fun warm up for the back nine.  The monster par 5 11th hole is a fun one!  Carry a club in the rough if you must go searching for your ball.  Rattle snakes are present!  Neat and cheap stay and play.  Little cabins are great if you just have a couple guys but bigger houses are there for rent as well.   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »

Pete - Your partner has arrived! Alex Miller just confirmed he's in, so you're all set.

Cheers

Wow, what an upgrade!

Of course he doesn't get 15 blows....... ;D

Jack Parrish

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2014, 08:55:53 AM »
Greetings,

I received word last night that I have successfully made it off the wait list! Since I know not one person, I would love to find some folks that I could partner with to get from Denver or North Platte to Dismal. I plan on arriving Thursday night in Dismal, but would love to play somewhere on the way.

If anyone is looking for a +1 to drive from Denver, let me know!

Pumped for this trip, look forward to meeting many of you.

Alex Miller

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
Greetings,

I received word last night that I have successfully made it off the wait list! Since I know not one person, I would love to find some folks that I could partner with to get from Denver or North Platte to Dismal. I plan on arriving Thursday night in Dismal, but would love to play somewhere on the way.

If anyone is looking for a +1 to drive from Denver, let me know!

Pumped for this trip, look forward to meeting many of you.

Perhaps we can all post here? I have not requested to arrive Thursday in Dismal, but might just do so. Would also be looking to drive in with someone from Denver... damn rental car companies are ageist!

Also, thanks Bill! Doing my best to build up my handicap at the moment, but keep getting foiled by spurts of greatness  ;D.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
For those making their first trip, prepare to have a fantastic experience.  Recommendations:
1.  Get in touch with the vibe of the place.  Relax, enjoy the scenery, the calm, the sounds. 
2.  Be sure you get away from the cabins/clubhouse at night (head out toward the Doak course).  I promise you that you've never seen as many stars.
3.  The key thing is to have fun.  Winning is secondary.
4.  The staff is great.  Take time to talk with them and thank them for their work to make your stay so special.
5.  Wear sunscreen.  A lot of sunscreen.
6.  Take some bug spray for the area near the river on the Doak course.  Otherwise, the bugs aren't a factor.
7.  It's Western-casual.  Nobody will look at you strange if you wear jeans in the clubhouse.
8.  Get some good western music for the ride up. 
9.  Thank Eric.
10.  Thank Chris.

:)

Cliff Walston

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »
I would add few minor things.  My bag always ends up caked in sand from the cart traffic, particularly playing the Nicklaus course.  So I have started bringing an older bag that I don't care about as much.  Second, I prefer light weight pants, regardless of the temperature for two reasons.  It lets me wear long socks to keep sand out of my shoes without looking like a total dork, and being someone who ventures into the native more than I care to admit, pants provide a little protection from the occasional plant with thorns or burrs.  Plus there is the added sun protection benefit. 

Also, introduce yourself to as many people as possible.  I have met some truly great people at Dismal/5th Major and now have additional golfing buddies all over the country.  There isn't a business trip that if I have the time, I don't reach out to someone I have met there.  I first year I went as a solo not having met anyone from GCA before and came back with lasting friendships.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
For those making their first trip, prepare to have a fantastic experience.  Recommendations:
1.  Get in touch with the vibe of the place.  Relax, enjoy the scenery, the calm, the sounds.  
2.  Be sure you get away from the cabins/clubhouse at night (head out toward the Doak course).  I promise you that you've never seen as many stars.
3.  The key thing is to have fun.  Winning is secondary.
4.  The staff is great.  Take time to talk with them and thank them for their work to make your stay so special.
5.  Wear sunscreen.  A lot of sunscreen.
6.  Take some bug spray for the area near the river on the Doak course.  Otherwise, the bugs aren't a factor.
7.  It's Western-casual.  Nobody will look at you strange if you wear jeans in the clubhouse.
8.  Get some good western music for the ride up.  
9.  Thank Eric.
10.  Thank Chris.

:)

That is a really good list.
I'd add one; when your headed back to the clubhouse after finishing up on the Red, stop in at maintenance and say hi to the boys and you might even end up with a cold beverage. Jagger, Mark, Clay and crew get it done with about 1/3rd the size crew you'd find on a "normal" 36 hole complex, but you'll never know it.  It is more then a job to those guys and above that, they are great people.

Dismal is a very cool place to hang out and play golf for a few days.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
I would add few minor things.  My bag always ends up caked in sand from the cart traffic, particularly playing the Nicklaus course.  So I have started bringing an older bag that I don't care about as much.  Second, I prefer light weight pants, regardless of the temperature for two reasons.  It lets me wear long socks to keep sand out of my shoes without looking like a total dork, and being someone who ventures into the native more than I care to admit, pants provide a little protection from the occasional plant with thorns or burrs.  Plus there is the added sun protection benefit.  

Also, introduce yourself to as many people as possible.  I have met some truly great people at Dismal/5th Major and now have additional golfing buddies all over the country.  There isn't a business trip that if I have the time, I don't reach out to someone I have met there.  I first year I went as a solo not having met anyone from GCA before and came back with lasting friendships.

Seconded about the sand, it gets into everything!

As for the native, I'm willing to admit how often I go there but I view the occasional encounter with that thorny grass on the ankles as justified punishment for hitting there!  It is not nearly as bad as the native at Sand Hills in that regard, at least.

I'm in the same boat having never played a GCA event and only having met one person on GCA before my three trips to the Fifth Major.  Without exception, everyone I've met has been great, and fun to talk to, drink with, and play golf with.  When I looked at the list of this year's attendees there are a few names I didn't see which disappointed me, but that just means more new people I'll have an opportunity to meet.

Dan's list was spot-on, too, especially #8.  The best thing about Dismal River is how laid back it is.  That allows the club to fade into the background, as it should - it is all about the people, the stage, and the golf.  Chris "gets it".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »
The sand does get everywhere, took me 4 tries to get it all off my bag.

Brandon Urban

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2014, 05:37:36 AM »
My bag wears the sand like a badge of honor for at least a month afterwards. It gives me the chance to talk to strangers about heaven, I mean the sand hills, when they ask "what in the hell happened to your bag?"
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Eric Smith

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »
A dusty bag is better than a wet bag any day! :)

...better bring your umbrellas just in case.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back