News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: 2014 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #225 on: June 24, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
I'll just go ahead and say it:  Those who haven't been to Dismal are about to have a Top Ten Golf Experience of a Lifetime.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #226 on: June 24, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »
I'm fairly certain a good time will be had by all...wish i was there

Terry Lavin

« Reply #227 on: June 24, 2014, 01:56:29 PM »
I'm fairly certain a good time will be had by all...wish i was there

They all wish it too!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2014, 02:41:33 PM »
I'll just go ahead and say it:  Those who haven't been to Dismal are about to have a Top Ten Golf Experience of a Lifetime.

i have no doubt. i did Bally/Prairie Club last year and it darn near changed my life : )
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Steve Lang

« Reply #229 on: June 24, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »
 8) So its better than Ballyneal? Kingsley? Bandon? Rustic? Chambers Bay? Rossapalooza in Southern Pines/Aberdeen/Pinehurst?  among others? 

BE there Thurs. with my bride, who might just win the putting contest. ;D
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #230 on: June 24, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »
8) So its better than Ballyneal? Kingsley? Bandon? Rustic? Chambers Bay? Rossapalooza in Southern Pines/Aberdeen/Pinehurst?  among others? 

There are many great courses but there is only one Eric Smith.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2014, 11:05:22 PM »
Dick Daley -

I'm driving through Valentine.

Anything funky I need to know driving wise coming that way?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2014, 11:19:51 PM »
Dick Daley -

I'm driving through Valentine.

Anything funky I need to know driving wise coming that way?
That's an easy drive, you get to see Mullen in all its splendor.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2014, 01:31:50 AM »
Brian, I-80 west 4.5 hours to North Platte, US HWY 83 north 5-6 miles to intersect w/hwy 97, north about 60 mins cross Dismal River bridge,  6-7 more miles to county road 2108, one lane into the compound known as "area 201", look for Kavanaugh's space ship.

Depends on what he means by "optimal".  The shortest route goes west out of Omaha to highway 92 and then on to highway 2 into Mullen, then highway 83 south.  Much better scenery than I-80, but lower speed limit and a bit more work passing those who obey it :)  Alternatively, you can take I-80 into Grand Island and pick up highway 2 there.

I-80 is the easiest drive, but pretty boring.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:20 AM »
Morgan, don't know if anything new or funky in Valentine.  I haven't been there in 2 yrs.  It should be simple drive from there, go right past P Club.  There is a real nice back road drive from 83 over to 97 through a wild life conservancy if you are into that.   I'm in Sioux City heading to G'berg for wed night.  I might have to hit Bella Italia for some carbo loading, if anyone is around G'berg wed night.  Call 920 471 6772cell if anyone wants to layover there and practice on Wild Horse lightening practice green for the big "putt-off".  ;D

I'll prolly stay at gberg super8 wed night.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2014, 09:44:09 AM »
Dick, You'll likely have a hard time eating in Cozad Wed. nite. They've changed their hours and only open Thurs. - Sat. But, I would call to make sure, since we are in season. We are at Bayside today at 1pm if you're ahead of schedule.

With recent rains, the Tucker ranch road won't be dusty. It will require a few off road go arounds.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mike Hendren

« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2014, 10:17:29 AM »

Wow - hyperbolic gushing that exposes the Dealies and Kingsleyans as rank amateurs.

I ran through my list and my trip to Dismal came in at eleventh.

Sorry I'm not there, but I'm committed to the ten years plan.

You gents have a blast.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #237 on: June 25, 2014, 10:27:43 AM »

There are many great courses but there is only one Eric Smith.

True dat!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dan Moore

« Reply #238 on: June 25, 2014, 11:03:28 AM »
It's 751 miles to Dismal, I've got a full tank of gas, a full box of camo kinesiology tape, a trunkload of anti-inflamatories, it's sunny... and I'm wearing sunglasses. 

Hit IT!

On a mission from God.

See you in Nebraska!!
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Keith Grande

« Reply #239 on: June 25, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
Dan, I hope your legs look like M. Wie's!  :o

Mark Smolens

« Reply #240 on: June 25, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
Dan, I hope your legs look like M. Wie's!  :o

Fortunately he doesn't have the same putting stance. . .

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #241 on: June 25, 2014, 07:45:58 PM »
Three rounds and five days into the trip. Played Fossil Trace, Commonground and Prairie Club-Dunes. No dents from golf ball sized hail near Laramie on Sunday.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #242 on: June 25, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
Three rounds and five days into the trip. Played Fossil Trace, Commonground and Prairie Club-Dunes. No dents from golf ball sized hail near Laramie on Sunday.

Reactions to Dunes course, please.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

John Cowden

« Reply #243 on: June 25, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »
And please don't be bashful if you prefer the Pines course.  I do.

Pete Balzer

« Reply #244 on: June 25, 2014, 10:41:55 PM »
And please don't be bashful if you prefer the Pines course.  I do.

Why do you prefer the Pines?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #245 on: June 25, 2014, 11:35:41 PM »
I  also enjoyed the Pines course in a whimsical sort of way and to my personal taste and giggle factor, I'D play it a time or two more than the dunes simply because it is a little easier.  No question Dunes is a bigger brawnier course, but Pines, along with the terrain variety, was a bit more simpatico for this not so skilled golfer.

I'm just back from Bella Italia in Cozad.  A little bit of a downer in that I dined alone, but had a shrimp Prawn sized (8-12 count) "Fra Diavolo" that was penance spicy hot and surely cleased me of my venial sins.  Definitely one of the 2-3 best I ever had!  I closed the joint up, and the owner told me a group of golfers were at this other table who had left earlier of whom I suspected, but didn't go over and inquire.  So many new guys at this 5th major to meet...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Cowden

« Reply #246 on: June 26, 2014, 12:08:56 AM »
To my taste, Pines was more enjoyable.  Dunes did not measure up to other sand hills courses within.  I can't really remember why.  Maybe that's the problem.  I can't remember anything about the course, and I remember at least half the holes on Pines, and all the holes at Ballyneal and Dismal.  Not sure what that means apart from the fact I can't enjoy what I have no memory of.  The Horse Course was cool, too.  I remember it.   Cheers.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #247 on: June 26, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »
Wow - I had a complete opposite opinion of Prairie Club.  Pines to me wasn't anything special but Dunes course had a bunch of interesting holes.  Problem was that it stormed when we played Dunes and didn't get to play #18 or go back out and it was members only the next day.  Prairie Club was one of the most pleasant golf resorts I've been to.  Accommodations were really nice, food was really good and fairly priced and you got two days of golf and one day room for a flat price plus the horse course.  We were coming over after playing Dismal and they suggested we stay in Valentine and pay less for a room as we weren't going to play golf until the next morning.  Just real good people. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #248 on: June 29, 2014, 06:20:03 AM »
40 teams came to Nebraska with hopes of winning a major. In the end, it was the dynamic duo of Michael Whitaker and Joel Zuckerman hoisting the Nicklaus Trophy.

Congratulations again to Mike and Joel - 2014 5th Major Champions!

Eric Smith

« Reply #249 on: June 29, 2014, 08:05:10 AM »

Whitaker and Zuckerman Capture the 2014 5th Major: http://youtu.be/FUowuQV1q9o

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back