News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SBJ

Information on GC Architect Floyd Farley
« on: August 03, 2003, 11:37:42 AM »
Since GCA is a fantastic resource for uncovering information on today's golf course architects, many of history's greatest designers, and courses of all kinds, I was hoping to that there might be some information or resources known by GCA members about an older, perhaps not-so-famous (maxwell, mackenzie) architect Floyd Farley.

Farley designed my home course, Rolling Hills Country Club, in Wichita, Kansas, and I was hoping to learn more about him. While I've found that he has designed many courses within the Midwest (Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa), many of which I have played and enjoyed, I've yet to find any information specific to him, his life, or his work. Having said that, a few of his designs have been at times been non-descript. Our club published a book commemorating our 50th year  and there was a biography and some information, I'd really like to learn more.

In my opinion Farley did an incredible job with our course and am amazed at how his design has withstood the test of time and technology. While there have been changes over the years, the course is very close to his original design but has truly matured and aged gracefully. No, it's not Southern Hills or Prairie Dunes, Crystal Downs or Sand Hills, but a wonderful and challenging tract none the less. While listed at 6700 yards from the championship tees the course plays closer to an effective yardage of 7000. Probably more impressive was his attention to green design which is truly wonderful and on some holes nearly approaching "evil".

Here are a few of the courses he has designed if this helps:
Rolling Hills Country Club, Wichita, KS
Lake Hefner South Golf Course, Oklahoma City, OK
Twin Oaks Golf Course, Springfield, MO
Holmes Park Golf Course, Lincoln, NE
Milburn Golf Course, Overland Park, KS
New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
Hidden Lakes Golf Club, Wichita, KS
Miracle Hill, Omaha, NE

Any insights, resources, or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Information on GC Architect Floyd Farley
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003, 01:19:36 PM »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 08:43:09 AM »
I may be able to help you out as well.  I've run across some information on Farley.  Some other places you might try are Forrest Richardson.  He has talked with Farley, I believe on several occasions as he is now retired in Arizona.  You might also try getting a copy of Del Lemon's book called the Story of Golf in Oklahoma.  Some great stuff in there about Floyd.  I would also try the Twin Hills Country Club in Oklahoma City.

In general he seemed to be a real bridge between the Golden Age and the Modern Age.  He used attributes from both eras in most of his work that I've seen.  It's just that most of his work is in the middle of the country so he didn't get the recognition of some other people.  
« Last Edit: August 04, 2003, 08:44:15 AM by Chris_Clouser »

Jay Carstens

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 08:41:15 PM »
Greg,
I interviewed Farley back in '99 for an article as he designed four courses in our area (Lincoln, NE): The Knolls CC ('62), nine hole par-3/now 18; Holmes Park and Ager Junior  ('64); and Mahoney ('75).  He began his golf career in 1919 with the Kansas City Star Caddies, learning the game at Milburn G&CC in Overland Park, a course he later redesigned.  At the recommendation of James Dalgleish, a KC pro from Scotland, he turned pro in 1926.  While at Dundee GC in Omaha (NLE), he accompanied Johnny Goodman to local tournaments.  I asked him about Goodman too and said, "very straight, with lots of short game skills" and "he won the Amateur and the Open and that about says it all". :-X

Farley designed and built his first course in OK City in '32 but took up architecture full-time in '47 with a preference for par-70 layouts as "they're the number golfers and the USGA prefer".  I'm still not sure what that means...

The Ager Junior GC may be Farley's personal favorite design, as with every question I asked, he'd eventually returm back to talk more about it.  The course is a small scale (22 acre) par-3, nine-holer with all the regular features and the kids still have priority for times.  It's "their course" and has contributed greatly to the city's high school success at State for many years IMO.  Fund raising for the course was a community effort with all costs being donated. 8)  
"I'll let the course speak for itself", Farley said, "Lincoln is to be congratulated  because I know of no other city that has done this."

Floyd Farley went on to design 67 golf courses(by my count), remodeling or expanding another 22.  He is a member and former President of the American Society of Golf Course Architects.

Last I heard he was in Sedona.  I've got an address somewhere if you're interested in.  He'd be in his mid-90's now.

Jay Carstens
Highlands GC, Lincoln
jay@neb.rr.com

ps: I did ask him about his time with Tillinghast but couldn't get very far.  He was more interested in learning about "The Junior".  :)

Play the course as you find it

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 10:24:44 AM »
Floyd is a wonderful man, now at least 90. He and his wife live in Sedona, Arizona overlooking the Oakcreek CC. I met with him about two years ago. He is nearly blind, which is a tragic condition for a man who loved to play and work with courses. His wife takes care of him, but she is also in her 90s.

I interviewed and taped him for the ASGCA's Living History archive. This tape is rough, but rewarding.

I would encourage you to write or call Floyd. Be patient, etc. He will tell you he does not recall some details, but he is a wealth of information when his memory is jogged. I have a few of his papers and will look through them for some background on Rolling Hills.

Floyd Farley
55 Cathedral Roak Dr, No. 45
Sedona, AZ 86351
928-284-9616
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

SBJ

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 12:07:29 PM »
Tommy,

Thanks for the reference piece ... it is truly appreciated. I had no idea he had been involved in so many courses that I've already played but didn't know were his creations/re-creations.

Thank you for the background.

Greg

SBJ

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2003, 12:17:02 PM »
I may be able to help you out as well.  I've run across some information on Farley.  Some other places you might try are Forrest Richardson.  He has talked with Farley, I believe on several occasions as he is now retired in Arizona.  You might also try getting a copy of Del Lemon's book called the Story of Golf in Oklahoma.  Some great stuff in there about Floyd.  I would also try the Twin Hills Country Club in Oklahoma City.

In general he seemed to be a real bridge between the Golden Age and the Modern Age.  He used attributes from both eras in most of his work that I've seen.  It's just that most of his work is in the middle of the country so he didn't get the recognition of some other people.  

CHRIS!

I should have known you would be familiar with Floyd based upon locale!!!

I couldn't agree more with you about Floyd being a "bridge between the Golden Age and the Modern Age." I've found that he was fantastic at designing holes with great defenses no matter the length or natural elements provided by the land itself. I've noticed that when confronted with a "less-than-desirable" location for a hole, he manages to protect the hole with greens I can only describe as "nearly evil," yet, when the natural (or "assisted" natural) typography or hazards are available, he provides a little relief once you are on the green.

Of the twenty or so courses of his design that I've played, I've yet to find any "grossly man made" element evident.

Thank you for your insight.

Greg

SBJ

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 12:18:41 PM »
Chris ...

I have a call into Mal Elliot as well ... he's had a few articles about Floyd as well. I will also check out the Oklahoma golf book as well.

Thanks,

Greg

SBJ

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 12:27:25 PM »
Greg,
I interviewed Farley back in '99 for an article as he designed four courses in our area (Lincoln, NE): The Knolls CC ('62), nine hole par-3/now 18; Holmes Park and Ager Junior  ('64); and Mahoney ('75).  He began his golf career in 1919 with the Kansas City Star Caddies, learning the game at Milburn G&CC in Overland Park, a course he later redesigned.  At the recommendation of James Dalgleish, a KC pro from Scotland, he turned pro in 1926.  While at Dundee GC in Omaha (NLE), he accompanied Johnny Goodman to local tournaments.  I asked him about Goodman too and said, "very straight, with lots of short game skills" and "he won the Amateur and the Open and that about says it all". :-X

Farley designed and built his first course in OK City in '32 but took up architecture full-time in '47 with a preference for par-70 layouts as "they're the number golfers and the USGA prefer".  I'm still not sure what that means...

The Ager Junior GC may be Farley's personal favorite design, as with every question I asked, he'd eventually returm back to talk more about it.  The course is a small scale (22 acre) par-3, nine-holer with all the regular features and the kids still have priority for times.  It's "their course" and has contributed greatly to the city's high school success at State for many years IMO.  Fund raising for the course was a community effort with all costs being donated. 8)  
"I'll let the course speak for itself", Farley said, "Lincoln is to be congratulated  because I know of no other city that has done this."

Floyd Farley went on to design 67 golf courses(by my count), remodeling or expanding another 22.  He is a member and former President of the American Society of Golf Course Architects.

Last I heard he was in Sedona.  I've got an address somewhere if you're interested in.  He'd be in his mid-90's now.

Jay Carstens
Highlands GC, Lincoln
jay@neb.rr.com

ps: I did ask him about his time with Tillinghast but couldn't get very far.  He was more interested in learning about "The Junior".  :)

JAY ...

Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it emmensely.

I do have a question or two ... I have not played any of the Lincoln courses you mentioned though I live only a few hours away ... what is your assesment of the courses overall? Also, I've found that on many of his courses he had an uncanny ability to lengthen even the shortest hole or course (the effective yardage of a hole or entire course) with his design and even 50 years later - with today's technology and balls - these courses defend themselves admirably with a well-place tree or trees, water, landing areas, etc ... is that the same you find with those courses?

Interesting that you mention he worked with Tillinghaust ... as I've mentioned with his "nearly evil" greens ... the two architects' greens are remarkably similar in many ocassions.

Thanks,

Greg

SBJ

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 12:32:40 PM »
Floyd is a wonderful man, now at least 90. He and his wife live in Sedona, Arizona overlooking the Oakcreek CC. I met with him about two years ago. He is nearly blind, which is a tragic condition for a man who loved to play and work with courses. His wife takes care of him, but she is also in her 90s.

I interviewed and taped him for the ASGCA's Living History archive. This tape is rough, but rewarding.

I would encourage you to write or call Floyd. Be patient, etc. He will tell you he does not recall some details, but he is a wealth of information when his memory is jogged. I have a few of his papers and will look through them for some background on Rolling Hills.

Floyd Farley
55 Cathedral Roak Dr, No. 45
Sedona, AZ 86351
928-284-9616

Forrest ...

Thank you for the information and Mr. Farley's information. What a wonderful opportunity you had.

Would I have the ability to purchase the tape of the interview or the actual archival program featuring Mr. Farley? I would truly appreciate any information you may uncover specific to my club, Rolling Hills, in Wichita, Kansas.

Now that I have his contact information I promise you, I'll not curse when I ask him about that damned creek crossing the 11th fairway 265 yards from the tee and effectively 200 yards + short of the green!

Thank you,

Greg

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 04:30:00 PM »
I have Floyd Farley's plans for the following greens (details):

Ava C.C., Missouri
La Fortune Paqrk Par-3 Cse., Tulsa
Beaver's Bend
Tarkio, Missouri
Clay Center C.C.
Indian Hills C.C., Kansas City
[Unkn. Cse. Name] Moore, Oklahoma
Quail [Unkn complete name]
Adams Park G.C., Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Southern Hills
Willow Springs, Missouri
Current River G.C., Doniphan, Missouri
Cabool - Mt. Grove G.C.
Greene Hills C.C.
Kansas City C.C.
Milburn C.C.
Tinker AFB

I would be honored to work with any of you who might be able to place copies with the clubs in question. Certainly the belong with the clubs — but only with someone there who will cherish them and archive them for future generations.

I look forward to your help with this.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2003, 12:52:52 AM »
Forrest,

The names you are looking for could be the Broadmoore Golf Course in Moore and the Quail Creek Country Club in Oklahoma City as Floyd Farley built both of them.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2003, 12:53:36 AM by Craig Edgmand »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back