News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

John Kavanaugh

Did Colorado Golf Club...
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:10:26 PM »
take away America's home field advantage. Should America host on a parkland course rather than one that plays more "European"?  Hasn't the exact opposite happened at venues like the K Club!

Bart Bradley

Re: Did Colorado Golf Club...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:15:52 PM »
John:

It appears to me that the American putters have given the advantage to the Europeans....not the course.

Bart

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »
John:

It appears to me that the American putters have given the advantage to the Europeans....not the course.

Bart

I have a friend that believes he is a bad putter when the real problem is that he is always to far from the hole. 90% of putting is based on where you start.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »
Where in America do the girls play that is so firm?  What greens on their tour have these types of internal contours?

Brad Klein

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »
The biggest myth of pro golf is that links golf favors Europeans. Almost all of their tournament venues on both the mens and ladies tours are waterlogged parkland farm fields bereft of any links or ground game character.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »
John:

If you are still watching, I rest my case.

Bart

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 10:46:33 PM »
I think the American are more worried about waving there hands in front of their face and making sure their finger nails are painted.  The Euro's look like there taking care of business while the American are changing outfits.  

Lawrence

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 12:54:52 AM »
Watching the two days of whining on the drops on the par 5, and bringing play to a half hour halt each day was sickening.  

Stacy Lewis didn't have trouble on links last month at TOC.  I don't think it is a matter of Euro's more accustomed to firm and fast links-like conditions.  It is that those blond Norske women are tough a hell!  

It seems to me that the Colorado GC has enough room for the ladies to play and hit some shots that require more than lawndarts. All-in-all, I think there were plenty of good shots and big pressure putts made today.  

I think Lawrence is on to something regarding U.S. players focus on wardrobe and fingernails.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 05:59:10 AM »
I think the American are more worried about waving there hands in front of their face and making sure their finger nails are painted.  The Euro's look like there taking care of business while the American are changing outfits.  
Lawrence

Wonderful line Lawrence.

I'm very much enjoying the event, although there's generally far too much hype and colour and flagwaving for my liking. Enjoying seeing the ladies play on this style of course as well. In matchplay it doesn't have to be all eagles and birdies. Sometimes a bogey or even double-bogie to win or half a hole is more interesting than a long shot hit close followed by a tap-in putt.

All the best.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 06:59:50 AM »
The Europeans winning the Ryder Cup at The Belfry in 1985 showed the course had no bearing on who won. There is no course in America more 'American' than The Belfry - nor probably the K- Club, Celtic Manor or the course they play at Gleneagles next year.

Brad Klein

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »
I'm trying hard to watch this, but between the face paint, the early celebration of putts that end up not dropping, the lack of understanding about match play strategy, the 5 1/2 hour matches and the endless rules delays, it's not been easy. The golf course is fascinating. The competitors unbearable.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 09:25:01 AM »
John:

If you are still watching, I rest my case.

Bart

Just when you think the Euros cannot sink another one, they do.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »
I agree with all the above. Nothing like a pair of shorts to put one in a forgiving mood. That being said, some of those spectators are not native Coloradians. They must have bused them in, one at a time.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »
Aside from the 30-minute rules delay in the last match, I thought the last hour of the 4-ball matches yesterday was very compelling.
There was some excellent golf. The putts made on the 18th hole by Ciganda and Icher were as pressure packed as any I have ever seen in matchplay to close out a match.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »
I saw a little bit of yesterday afternoon's play--could someone explain the part about not understanding match play strategy?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
What I have enjoyed in a sadistic kind of way is seeing how far some of these girls hit the ball. I honestly feel sorry for them that their occupation is dying a slow death.  Expect a scripted finish today as one last attempt to salvage the event and the future of the tour.  I would still pay to see Asia vs The World.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
On a positive note, of all the great courses we have witnessed this year CGC has done the best job in selling itself to potential members. The fixed camera angles are impeccable.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »
As much as I look back on the USA legendary hockey victory of 1980 with extreme nationalistic pride and symbolism, and embraced the USA, USA spontaneous outburst of chants and cheers;  the culture has made every mundane USA v any foreign entity sporting activity into a source of embarrassment.  It is the same thing in my mind as the mindless endzone dances or antics when a player makes a routine sack or catch.  I prefer the professional attitude of "act like you've been there before".  It gets even more trivial and superficial when a bunch of young ladies who most of them lived a sheltered/pampered existence from the day they learned to swing a golf club well, seem to place themselves in a situation that blends vanity and fashion marketing with jingoistic cheerleading and some sort of demonstration of superior national competitive skills.  

And I watch it... go figure.  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
People who grow up working on their game and every athletic aspect of their lives like these girls have are not pampered no matter how many bathrooms they had to decide which to use.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »
Keep in mind that a team of South Korean women would beat the USA and Europe easily.  Time to invite them to the party - perhaps a round-robin 3-way team match?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »
Keep in mind that a team of South Korean women would beat the USA and Europe easily.  Time to invite them to the party - perhaps a round-robin 3-way team match?

Wasn't there a promo for something called the International Cup to be held next year?    Sounds like the ROW women get their chance. 

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 03:04:45 PM »
Yes, it's the International Crown, the idea of Jerry Rich, who hosted the Solheim at his Rice Harvest Farms in 2009. Eight teams, four players each. So Korea, China, Sweden, the U.S., and so on. The eight top-rated teams qualify. Face paint for everybody!
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 03:36:08 PM »
Looks like sportsmanship is a dead art at this event.  The crowd, the Americans.  Bad, bad, bad.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 03:39:36 PM »
Looks like sportsmanship is a dead art at this event.  The crowd, the Americans.  Bad, bad, bad.

If you have ever attended a girls high school event this is not news. Even when my daughter was tumbling the opposing moms were worthy of a good beating.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 03:50:15 PM »

If you have ever attended a girls high school event this is not news. Even when my daughter was tumbling the opposing moms were worthy of a good beating.

Have you ever seen the "reality" tv show called "Dance Moms"?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back