News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bill_McBride

Re: Did Colorado Golf Club...
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 03:56:08 PM »
What's with the American girls holing out and then heading for the next tee while the Euros putt out?   I think that is rude beyond measure.  I am now rooting for the Euros.  

noonan

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »
What's with the American girls holing out and then heading for the next tee while the Euros putt out?   I think that is rude beyond measure.  I am now rooting for the Euros. 

One girl left green when she holed out (Wie)

So now you are rooting for the Euros?

How about the caddie giving Creamer a putt while over the ball.

You must be looking for an excuse to jump on the bandwagon.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »
Jerry,
   It's two days in a row now that Wie has pulled this. It's disgusting. Even Judy Rankin couldn't find something nice to say about it. If someone did it to you in a match how would you feel?
   In some junior tournaments (maybe other age groups as well), a player can be disqualified for unbecoming conduct. I think this qualifies.
   Did not see the caddie concession. Dumb at the least.
   Haven't seen an American bandwagon out there. Golf Channel did show a guy on a horse.
   I don't care who wins this. I do care about classy comportment (and prompt rulings and play).
Tim
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »
The whole event has become the antithesis of what golf is supposed to be about.

David_Tepper

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 05:06:10 PM »
Speaking of Judy Rankin, she is a very, very good golf commentator and it is nice she is front & center on these broadcasts.

Phil McDade

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
Jerry,
   It's two days in a row now that Wie has pulled this. It's disgusting. Even Judy Rankin couldn't find something nice to say about it. If someone did it to you in a match how would you feel?
   In some junior tournaments (maybe other age groups as well), a player can be disqualified for unbecoming conduct. I think this qualifies.
   Did not see the caddie concession. Dumb at the least.
   Haven't seen an American bandwagon out there. Golf Channel did show a guy on a horse.
   I don't care who wins this. I do care about classy comportment (and prompt rulings and play).
Tim

Creamer just did it against Hull

Some great, savvy match-play tactics by the 17-yr-old Hull -- after conceding some putts to Creamer early in the match, she makes Paula putt out a 3-footer for par to halve the hole at #11. Creamer obligingly misses, and now 4 down.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 05:48:28 PM »
What's with the American girls holing out and then heading for the next tee while the Euros putt out?   I think that is rude beyond measure.  I am now rooting for the Euros. 

One girl left green when she holed out (Wie)

So now you are rooting for the Euros?

How about the caddie giving Creamer a putt while over the ball.

You must be looking for an excuse to jump on the bandwagon.

Not really.  I've played a lot of match play and hate the little chickenshit gamesmanship tactics.  The European girls are showing a lot more class.  I can't stand all the rah rah BS. 

Phil McDade

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »
You think it's pre-meditated? No way. Charlie is a sweet 17 year old girl that is not learned in the ways of the grizzled matchplay veteran. Frankly, I would have put my house on Hull beating Creamer - Creamer's head is all over the place and she is behaving despicably - Charlie is having a blast and feels calm. No brainer.

So you know her well? ;)

Pretty standard match-play tactics that are often over--looked by those who don't play match play a lot -- concede putts early and make 'em putt them out late.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 06:25:15 PM »
You think it's pre-meditated? No way. Charlie is a sweet 17 year old girl that is not learned in the ways of the grizzled matchplay veteran. Frankly, I would have put my house on Hull beating Creamer - Creamer's head is all over the place and she is behaving despicably - Charlie is having a blast and feels calm. No brainer.

So you know her well? ;)

Pretty standard match-play tactics that are often over--looked by those who don't play match play a lot -- concede putts early and make 'em putt them out late.

Goes all the way back to Hagen. Probably back to Robertson vs. Morris, for that matter.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Terry Lavin

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »
I thought the sentiment on this site was strongly in favor of match play?  Have ye gone soft while watching women in match play?  Too funny.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Phil McDade

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 06:49:05 PM »

So you know her well? ;)

Hilarious - I know the tactic well .....

But Hull wouldn't?

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »
Well, lets hope the players don't get upset as you lot for sposed indiscretions.  I can understand at my level being a bit peeved at a guy walking away before I putt out, but that has nothing to do with not hangin' about to watch the putt.  It has to do with putting the flagstick back in the hole.  The game goes quicker if the last putter doesn't have to do this.  For the folks on tv it shouldn't matter a tot and they had better not lose concentration over that sort of thing because it doesn't matter. Do you lot just look for ways to get upset about golfers?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 09:58:10 PM »
Sean - it'd be like the Red Wings lining up after a Cup win to shake hands with a team that left the ice.

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 04:05:08 AM »
Sean - it'd be like the Red Wings lining up after a Cup win to shake hands with a team that left the ice.

When the Wings win 18 cups I will let you know how I feel about it.  I see guys quietly leaving the green all the time before folks have putted out. I do it if I know our group has to make up some ground.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:04:13 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ben Lovett

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 04:29:53 AM »
Charlie Hull is based out of Woburn home of a certain Ian Poulter, I am sure she knows exactly what she is doing in match play golf!

Matthew Essig

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 05:12:54 AM »
What about that dreadful attention seeking woman draped in the US flag and waving mini-flags riling up the crowd at the first tee? The chanting is truly cringe inducing.

I am completely against everything above, except for this. When there is so much raw emotion in the atmosphere, there will be chanting. Don't like it? Don't watch it. Don't watch most sports. You find annoying chanting everywhere. Either feel the full force of the emotion and add to it, or ignore it. The chanting isn't going to stop ever, men or women, in any sport.

The women draped in the American flag walking back and forth was the one leading the chants. She was hired to start and bring energy to the chants. This is common in other sports to, especially soccer. Again, don't like it? Don't watch it.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Craig Sweet

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 05:29:41 AM »
I thought the event was dreadful to watch....too much broadcast time on putts and not enough on tee to green play.....too much Rankin rambling on with stories...players grinding on every putt...and way too much chanting.  I was very happy to switch over to the Mariners game.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
Gee whiz what a bunch of grumpy old (and not so old) men.  We might soon eclipse the USGA for being out of touch!  

The golf was compelling thanks to some stellar play and compelling architecture.  Best TV golf I've watched this year.

Bogey

Girls just want to have fun.
-Cyndi Lauper
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jud_T

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
I thought the event was dreadful to watch....too much broadcast time on putts and not enough on tee to green play.....

Craig,

Unfortunately this is the defacto method of broadcasting golf these days.  Ambien for the masses.  However I found the event great to watch, at least until the US team folded like a house of cards on Saturday afternoon.  It will be great for women's golf, and golf more broadly, if the Solheim gets a piece of Ryder Cup type rivalry and drama.  I thought the course came through swimmingly.  In fact, this is the first course they've contested a significant event on this year that I'm more keen to play after viewing the event.  Of course I hit it like a girl...  ::)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:10:37 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Josh Tarble

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »
I actually thought yesterday was some of the best golf I've seen on TV this year...

I thought the broadcast was was pretty good overall, considering there was only ~20 women on the course at once - and they were playing as slow as molasses.  I saw a lot of drives, approaches and putts - would have liked to see more recovery shots, but maybe they weren't missing many greens.  The course looked absolutely incredible.  Very challenging in the right spots, but looked like a lot of birdies to be made if they were in the right position.  Really the perfect match play course from a TV perspective.  My only complaint was how slow the women played.

As far as sportsmanship, there is far too much sensitivity about that stuff.  On the course and on GCA here.  

It's a competition...if you can't handle adversity you're not going to do well.  It's part of why the American's lost in my opinion.  They got all butthurt over every break that didn't go their way and didn't shake it off.  

Tim Taylor

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
I enjoyed watching it! The ladies were bouncing shots in, using slopes in the fairways and greens to feed the ball, balls were actually rolling into bunkers. I saw players putting with their backs to the hole, all types of shots around the green. So much more variety than your typical Tour stop or US Open / PGA Championship set up.

Too bad the Americans can't putt at all. The Euros played outstanding golf and were fun to watch. Lewis and Creamer looked like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders.

Tim

Carl Nichols

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
Did any American have a better record that Michelle Wie (who I believe was 2-2)? 

Phil McDade

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
Did any American have a better record that Michelle Wie (who I believe was 2-2)? 

Lang was 3-1 (one of those wins w/ Wie); no other American had more than 1-1/2 points. Wie was 2-2.

David Bartman

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
take away America's home field advantage. Should America host on a parkland course rather than one that plays more "European"?  Hasn't the exact opposite happened at venues like the K Club!

If you think you have the better team , to increase your chances of victory a captain would prefer to play a course that is less tricky.  If you think that the Americans had the better team then Colorado Golf Club was not a good choice, there is a lot , and I mean a lot of luck out there on that golf course. 

That being said, the golf course looked and played fantastically! 
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
I really liked Brittany Lang and was smitten with her fiancé.  The guy can sport a look.

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/brittany-lang-gets-engaged-during-lpga-tour-event

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back