News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

Re: BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2013, 03:43:39 PM »
As a former organizer/organiser and particular fan of Gouda cheese in this case. I think two close by are ok by me as a traitor Yank that will either have to fly or swim to the next ones it seems. In fact, I'd be happy with several a year as long as they are at different clubs of interest and I would try to join them as well.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Eric Smith

« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
Carrying a step further - seeing Mark B's post reminds me - is Ganton a real option for 2014? WHODA?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »
Carrying a step further - seeing Mark B's post reminds me - is Ganton a real option for 2014? WHODA?

It is an option, Eric.  Spoke to the "Oldest Member" of Ganton that I know well tonight and he will be back to me.  The dates would be ~12-15 June (i.e watching the US Open @ Pinehurst in the bar a la the BUDA at Lundin/Elie!)

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Lou_Duran

« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
Another unrelated idea would be a mailing list, .....

I understand that such a list already exists.  Unless Ran has expressed some displeasure with how the various events are organized through the site OR some of the regulars prefer a more exclusive list of participants, I'd recommend the Dixie Cup model nearly perfected by Messrs. Whitaker, Disher, McBride, et. al.  From my perspective, after some public discussion, the organizing committee should select the venue(s) (I prefer more than one) and set the dates as early as possible.  It makes things easier for booking flights and getting it on the schedule (to avoid conflicts on the home front).  September is a good month, the beginning of the shoulder season.  

Craig Disher

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »
Moses down from the mount with the tablets - thanks, Rich.

Looking at the schedule, why not put both on offer in 2014? Follow Ally's schedule for Ireland (EUDA I?), leave an open day for travel, and proceed to St. Enodoc for Buda XII on 9-11 Sept. Players can decide whether to attend one or both.

Another thought is what would we do about taking our treasured Cup out of the UK? Would anyone want to have it tie up their limited cargo allotment? If the Buda remains in the UK, the cup travels in style.

A friend of mine has organized yearly visits of his club to St. Enodoc and will send me suggestions on where to stay. However, he said there are much better dining options than the club. He'll send those too.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »
As usual, Craig, you speak with unforked tongue.

My ideal 2014 would consist of:

--BUDA XII at Ganton middle of June
--EUDA II at Carne, etc. in September
--The Disher Cup I at St. Enodoc tied into EUDA II

Let's make it happen!

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Eric Smith

« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2013, 04:24:29 PM »

It is an option, Eric.  Spoke to the "Oldest Member" of Ganton that I know well tonight and he will be back to me.  The dates would be ~12-15 June (i.e watching the US Open @ Pinehurst in the bar a la the BUDA at Lundin/Elie!)

Rich

Thanks, Rich. I remember seeing John Mayhugh's thread on his visit to Ganton and thinking it would be a great course to play over and over again. Then I saw a photo of the nearby Inn and my mind was made up!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:26:02 PM by Eric Smith »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »
Thanks, Eric.

My OM tells me the place is a bit of a dump, but what a better place to stage a proper BUDA!

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »
Happy to go with whatever but personally don't believe that 2 events work... You will compromise BUDA in my opinion... Either that or the other EUDA / GOUDA won't get off the ground...

Eric Smith

« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »

My OM tells me the place is a bit of a dump, but what a better place to stage a proper BUDA!

I'd say the OM's comment goes hand in hand with the title of this recent review. Like you say, what better place?!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2013, 04:49:24 PM »
Rich, Mark, et al,

I love your enthusiasm for creating these events! However, let me offer a word of caution...

If you create one or two additional  "official" events you will fractionalize the group and lessen the Buda. The Buda has been a success because it has generated a good turnout of UK and non-UK participants. If some of the Buda regulars don't attend because they are siphoned off to the EUDA or the GOUDA then it will be a sad day for me. I do not want to fly over to attend a second-rate BUDA. I enjoy attending the Buda because of the group that attends. If part of that group doesn't show up because they are going to be attending a competing event then I will be sorely disappointed.

I fear you guys are going to kill the Golden Goose by trying to have too many events.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »
I stayed at The Greyhound for a week this past September and found it perfectly adequate. I had an upstairs "superior" or whatever they call the most expensive rooms. Nice window views of the golf course off in the distance. The room was quite clean, bed moderately comfy and my room had a very nice shower/toilet/lavatory area.

The service has just a whiff of Fawlty Towers about it but in the end I was seen to satisfactorily, if a bit slowly. I thought the breakfasts were good and the dinners in their (not inexpensive) restaurant were excellent. Really, really good. I did not much care for the beers they had on tap, though.

The room I had was pricey relative to typical B&B rates but not too bad for a "hotel". I did see online comments to the effect that only a few rooms are as nice as mine. When I mentioned staying there to the folks at Ganton they said something mildly disapproving like "Well I guess it is convenient". But honestly, no complaints. I would not have traded it for staying at a B&B 5-10 miles away.

The club itself had a better beer available, extremely tasty toasted ham and cheese (can't recall the type of cheese) sandwiches for lunch between rounds and the professional, starter and secretary were very friendly if rather busy on the week I was there. Allowed me to store my clubs in the locker room, offered some flexibility to tee off a bit earlier than my tee time in the afternoons, just generally helpful and personable in that Northern way.

If you go there be careful not to barge into the Members side of the bar to order your beer. Keep to the short side of the bar near the outside door and you'll do fine!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »
Rich I don't think the Buda strictly has to be one course?  The principle of a central location + another good nearby course has also been practised with success as with Hoylake - when the singles matches were played, to general approval, at Wallasey. And if you went to, say, Deal you would think that singles at St George's would be well received?

I have also wondered as Mike does about fragmentation - that does seem a risk but you don't know till you try I suppose.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »
There is no way you are going to get all the non-UK participants to fly over for two or three events. Ain't going to happen. Thus, the group will be split between different events.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
I would second the esteemed Mr. Whitaker's words of caution. I cannot make more than one trip and I cannot put it over my wife to have two Budas jammed into our summer holiday. Well fine, you say. Ulrich, why not make just one trip and select the one you like better? Always good to have a choice, no?

Well, no. The choice would basically be between seeing Mr. Whitaker at the one event or Mr. Pearce at the other. How would I make that decision? Well, I could relegate it to my wife, but her boss is a lawyer, so how fair would that be to Messrs. Whitaker and Pearce :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

James Boon

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2013, 05:10:08 PM »
I think Mr Goodale should be commended for his enthusiasm but has far too much time on his hands!  ;D

So far all suggestions are fine with me, as long as they are kept apart! I have preferences but in the end it's down to those with the time and dedication to organise the event and I will be more than happy to go wherever it ends up. The idea of a democratically chosen Buda is a beautiful one but totally impractical and will never happen!!!  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »
Well, no. The choice would basically be between seeing Mr. Whitaker at the one event or Mr. Pearce at the other. How would I make that decision? Well, I could relegate it to my wife, but her boss is a lawyer, so how fair would that be to Messrs. Whitaker and Pearce :)

Ulrich
Ulrich,

Fret not.  If Mike's making the trip over and playing a GCA event, then that's likely the event I'm attending.  So you don't have to choose between us, after all......
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »

Ulrich
Ulrich,

Fret not.  If Mike's making the trip over and playing a GCA event, then that's likely the event I'm attending.  So you don't have to choose between us, after all......

And if Mike, Mark and Ulrich are attending a GCA event, then that's the one that Mr.X, Mr.Y and Mr.Z are attending... and therefore there is no second event...

There cannot be two with US participants... One plus informal outings like the recent Brancaster one is the only way that works....

Lou_Duran

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »

Ulrich
Ulrich,

Fret not.  If Mike's making the trip over and playing a GCA event, then that's likely the event I'm attending.  So you don't have to choose between us, after all......

But Mark, if I am coming over and playing the other, what will you do?  No Sophie's Choice, I suspect.

And what is it about Whitaker?  Has he replaced Tom Huckaby as the World's Guest?  Here I thought that Mayhugh had a lock on that.  

I just want to make sure that I see the list of attendees in advance to make sure that James Boon can't avoid me, and that if Ulrich is on it, I can bribe the organizers to place me well behind him so he can't call me for slow play (though that didn't stop him the last time).

John Mayhugh

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »
I actually think Carne is easier to get to for the US contingent than St.Enedoc is... and for many of the UK contingent... Summer traffic down to Cornwall is not a pleasant experience...

But perhaps I'm biased...

You can be both biased and correct.  I was thinking more of the flight options (many more to London), but upon arrival Carne seems a much simpler trip.  I am looking forward to making it.

Rich,
There are a number of events in the US, but these rely mostly on local participants.  I have always assumed that North America provides the majority of GCA participants as well, and given the smaller numbers I don't think the same opportunity for event growth exits outside of Britain.  I think it's great if someone wants to organize additional events (as Tony did in Lincolnshire back in March), but splitting up Buda participation would be a huge mistake.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2013, 12:22:43 AM »
Either option would be fine with me.  

My preference would be Carne, as Robin and Ally give us a great connection with the club.  A bonus is that I've never been to that part of Ireland.  Maybe it is a little tougher to get to from the US, but we're making a long trip anyway so that shouldn't matter.  I'm interested in seeing what sort of English commitment we might get.

+1
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Pearce

« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2013, 03:21:20 AM »
Either option would be fine with me.  

My preference would be Carne, as Robin and Ally give us a great connection with the club.  A bonus is that I've never been to that part of Ireland.  Maybe it is a little tougher to get to from the US, but we're making a long trip anyway so that shouldn't matter.  I'm interested in seeing what sort of English commitment we might get.

+1

Are you intending to attend BUDA 2014?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2013, 03:37:05 AM »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2013, 04:16:46 AM »

But Mark, if I am coming over and playing the other, what will you do?  No Sophie's Choice, I suspect.
A dilemma I hope I don't have to face, Lou.  It does, though, illustrate the problem perfectly.  I have many good friends who make the trip to BUDA and wouldn't want to miss any of them.  Splitting BUDA might force me to make a choice I really don't want to make.  It does bring home that BUDa is about the people first, then the golf, and any decision must be taken with that in mind.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2013, 06:18:26 AM »
I agree that to dilute the BUDA by having more than one formal shindig a year is probably not such a good plan.

The informal gatherings that there have been should be encouraged.  Rich had a fabulous one up in Dornoch a few years ago and this year alone we've had the Brancaster/Woodhall Spa get together and Scott's Deal weekend to name but two.  The more of these the merrier, but let's keep the biggie as a one off.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back