News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Davis

Re: BUDA XII (2014) - Venue suggestions and dates
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »
question guys, when I went to Carne, Sligo etc I flew from Dublin to I believe Sligo airport, must of been about 5 to 6 years ago. It was dirt cheap. I can't find those routings which I wanted to share with the group. anyone know about that? Did they discontinue the service?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2013, 04:48:51 AM »
question guys, when I went to Carne, Sligo etc I flew from Dublin to I believe Sligo airport, must of been about 5 to 6 years ago. It was dirt cheap. I can't find those routings which I wanted to share with the group. anyone know about that? Did they discontinue the service?

Hi David,

To be honest, for those who would come from the UK, the best option is to fly to Knock.... Ryanair and Aer Lingus fly there from many of the major airports and it is even closer than Sligo. People refer to Carne as remote but it is actually easier to get to for the majority than many of the links outposts within the UK, particularly as there are direct flights from the States to Shannon

Ulrich - The Broadhaven Bay is fine... It is about a 500 yard stroll out the main street... Cost will be €65 single and perhaps less if sharing (will check).... The Talbot is right on the main street, is more of a boutique hotel, has a good bar and is just a 50 yard walk to the famed McDonnells pub which should have everyone enjoying the stout in to the wee hours... A very lively place for such a small town.

Craig Disher

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2013, 07:20:54 AM »
Adding another option, St. Enodoc is willing to host the group (assuming 20-24) during most any week in Sept. The three early weekends in Sept are set aside for club competitions so we'd be restricted to weekdays. The club suggested 2 days of 36 holes, morning foursomes required with a 3rd day - the middle day - at Trevose. Dinner at St. Enodoc can be arranged also.

To give us a quote, the club needs dates. If there is interest here, which would be preferred - 9/3-5 or 9/10-12? The dates are just two I came up with. Mon-Wed would be just as acceptable to the club.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2013, 05:10:51 PM »
Craig,

10-12 would be best for me.  5th is our wedding anniversary, which would also make Ally's dates tricky for me.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
Either dates work for me, Craig. Thanks!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2013, 08:32:16 PM »
I'm also okay for either, and really looking forward to returning to the Buda Cup. 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2013, 03:21:43 AM »
Craig in order that a decision can be made can you also give us your thoughts on

Available acomodation and eateries. The best Buda's have always been where the group is tight nit.

See comments above re the club's reputation for welcoming strangers.  Is a dinner at the club "on the table". :)

the area and the courses have the potential to be a fine location.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2013, 05:09:57 AM »
I am more likely (80%) to participate in the Irish Buda, but will not rule out making the trip to Cornwall (40%). One question that needs to be answered is indeed that of accommodation, if it would be in Padstow. St. Enodoc is on the other side of the bay and I am not sure about the logistics of the ferry.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:13:53 AM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2013, 05:42:11 AM »
I recently checked out the Tzitzikama Lodge in Rock - maybe a 15 minute walk into the "village" - has parking.  Its okay if sterile. One problem - no bar that I saw.  The centre of Rock is given over to holiday lets.

I also checked out The Ship right off the harbour in Padstow.  It has had some sort of cheap reno so its clean.  Decent parking to the rear.  Pub downstairs so folks with noise issues beware!      

There is also a "resort" type set-up at Trevose.  The place is a bit isolated, not that the pub scene in Padstow is anything to talk about.  The real issue is eating.  If guys want to avail themselves of the good restaurants its a taxi job.

I never bothered looking into the Metropole - I figure its the blue rinse brigade hangin' there.  Obviously, Stein has accommodation, but its pricey.

There is also the Treglos on the way to Trevose. Again, a bit isolated.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2013, 05:56:58 AM »
I recently checked out the Tzitzikama Lodge in Rock

Some fifteen years ago, when I was in the rattan furniture business, a couple came into my showroom and placed a large order for delivery to a B&B they were opening in Rock, Cornwall. Until today I had forgotton all about it.

I just googled Sean's suggestion and much to my delight (and some surprise! 8)) discover that my furniture is still in use and looking great.

http://www.cornwall-accommodation.com/dining.html

Either that, or the photos are very old...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:59:16 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Craig Disher

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »
Craig in order that a decision can be made can you also give us your thoughts on

Available acomodation and eateries. The best Buda's have always been where the group is tight nit.

See comments above re the club's reputation for welcoming strangers.  Is a dinner at the club "on the table". :)

the area and the courses have the potential to be a fine location.

I haven't visited the area in over 20 years so can't speak with authority about accommodations - although on the internet I did find two b&bs in Rock and more in Polzeath and Padstow. St. Enodoc will arrange a dinner for us if we wish. I also found a nearby pub with a can't-miss name

http://thepitymeinn.weebly.com/index.html

I have the impression that there are plenty of acceptable accommodations and personally, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Tzitzikama. As long as we have good golf and a place to enjoy a drink, it's ok imo.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »
Pity Me is also the name of a village just outside Durham..  I almost want to move there just to say I live in Pity Me.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2013, 09:08:55 AM »
We have two solid candidates for 2014 now, with Carne/Enniscrone/Mulranny and St.Enedoc/Trevose

Do we now:

a. wait a little while for other ideas to surface?
b. close the book now and decide between these two for 2014?
c. decide that these two venues fit the bill for 2014 and 2015 and just decide which order we do them in?

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Sean_A

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »
We have two solid candidates for 2014 now, with Carne/Enniscrone/Mulranny and St.Enedoc/Trevose

Do we now:

a. wait a little while for other ideas to surface?
b. close the book now and decide between these two for 2014?
c. decide that these two venues fit the bill for 2014 and 2015 and just decide which order we do them in?

Doc

I am not in favour of C.  Decide one year at a time.  

BTW - it works well for planning if the location for the next BUDA is decided at the current BUDA.  Anyone interested in organizing can throw out their idea and the present Pests decide which they like best.  It saves a lot of electronic back and forth when many Pests may not be paying attention.  

Ciao

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
Not everyone is at every BUDA, so I think that system would unnecessarily exclude a number of participants (would have excluded me twice in the last five years).

What I would suggest is that someone puts up the two options on Doodle and then everyone can easily denote his preference there. In case you don't know Doodle, it is an easy to use online tool for finding a time/venue for a meeting. If the group thinks this is a good idea, but nobody wants to do it, then I can offer to put this up at Doodle.

Another unrelated idea would be a mailing list, where everyone interested in hearing Buda announcements can subscribe to. That would be a good way to alert everyone that suggestions have been made and feedback is needed. However, that mailing list might have to be managed by Ran, as I suppose only he can verify all the E-Mail addresses of the forum participants.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:30:33 AM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »
Not everyone is at every BUDA, so I think that system would unnecessarily exclude a number of participants (would have excluded me twice in the last five years).

What I would suggest is that someone puts up the two options on Doodle and then everyone can easily denote his preference there. In case you don't know Doodle, it is an easy to use online tool for finding a time/venue for a meeting. If the group thinks this is a good idea, but nobody wants to do it, then I can offer to put this up at Doodle.

Another unrelated idea would be a mailing list, where everyone interested in hearing Buda announcements can subscribe to. That would be a good way to alert everyone that suggestions have been made and feedback is needed. However, that mailing list might have to be managed by Ran, as I suppose only he can verify all the E-Mail addresses of the forum participants.

Ulrich

It doesn't much matter if everyone has input.  You would likely get as much (I think more) in person at a BUDA as online.  I use this system all the time (sending out options beforehand so guys can investigate if they wish).  It eliminates all sorts of dickering and dealing.  Then again, maybe some folks like that.  

Ciao  

John Mayhugh

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
Either option would be fine with me.  

My preference would be Carne, as Robin and Ally give us a great connection with the club.  A bonus is that I've never been to that part of Ireland.  Maybe it is a little tougher to get to from the US, but we're making a long trip anyway so that shouldn't matter.  I'm interested in seeing what sort of English commitment we might get.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
Either option would be fine with me.  

My preference would be Carne, as Robin and Ally give us a great connection with the club.  A bonus is that I've never been to that part of Ireland.  Maybe it is a little tougher to get to from the US, but we're making a long trip anyway so that shouldn't matter.  I'm interested in seeing what sort of English commitment we might get.

John,

I actually think Carne is easier to get to for the US contingent than St.Enedoc is... and for many of the UK contingent... Summer traffic down to Cornwall is not a pleasant experience...

But perhaps I'm biased...

Brent Hutto

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
I would thoroughly enjoy either venue I'm sure but my initial take on the locations would be like Ally's. Anyone willing to drive to St. Enodoc is likely willing to drive to Carne and vice versa. Neither is like going to Liphook!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2013, 02:27:34 PM »
I see BUDA XII not as an either/or choice but rather as a "Let a thousand flowers bloom" opportunity.

I was involved in the first "unofficial" GCA.com gathering, the King's Putter at Barona, and look how that has spread, i.e. The Dixie Cup, the Midwest Mashie, The Fifth Major, The Reverse Jans Memorial, etc. etc. and wonder now (as its founder), why can't BUDA spread too?

--Is Europe so bereft of golf courses and/or GCA wing-nuts that we cannot have more than one annual gathering?
--Must we be confined to the BUDA template, or should we encourage other forms of cameraderie?
--Can we not recognise that there is an army of wing-nuts out there (here?) who would love to meet and greet other wing-nuts on this Continent, but who don't often have the luxury of conforming their busy lives and schedules to BST (BUDA Standard Time)?

Ergo, I propose:

1.  That all future BUDAs be held on the island of Britain, and generally follow the evolved BUDA format of One Venue, One Hotel, Ryder Cup "competitive" structure, "WhoTF cares who wins" philosophy.
2.  That it be pronounced that BUDA XI was not only that but also EUDA I, the first of a series of fledgling gatherings which are held outside of this sceptred isle, but within the European Union.
3.  That in 2014 we have both a BUDA XII and another gathering (which I will call EUDA II, at least temporarily) which is held outside of Britain.

From all the chat above, I assume that EUDA II will be held at Carne, in September, as Ally and Robin have graciously organised.  BUDA XII will be held either at St. Enodoc or Ganton (or wherever), with place and dates to be determined.

I will hopefully attend both gatherings next year.

Rich

PS--the proper pronunciation of EUDA is as in "EUDA Man!"
PPS--Past and future organisers of the EUDAs can feel free to change the name....

rfg
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »
This absolutely cannot be a democratic process.  By all means let's seek the views of many but, in the end, the people that count are those doing the organising and I'd take the opinion of one person who has previously organised a BUDA over three who haven't.  I suggest we continue to take opinions and then Ally, Robin, Craig and a handful of others should make a decision based on the opinions expressed and the practicalities.

Eric Smith

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
I see BUDA XII not as an either/or choice but rather as a "Let a thousand flowers bloom" opportunity.

I was involved in the first "unofficial" GCA.com gathering, the King's Putter at Barona, and look how that has spread, i.e. The Dixie Cup, the Midwest Mashie, The Fifth Major, The Reverse Jans Memorial, etc. etc. and wonder now (as its founder), why can't BUDA spread too?

--Is Europe so bereft of golf courses and/or GCA wing-nuts that we cannot have more than one annual gathering?
--Must we be confined to the BUDA template, or should we encourage other forms of cameraderie?
--Can we not recognise that there is an army of wing-nuts out there (here?) who would love to meet and greet other wing-nuts on this Continent, but who don't often have the luxury of conforming their busy lives and schedules to BST (BUDA Standard Time)?

Ergo, I propose:

1.  That all future BUDAs be held on the island of Britain, and generally follow the evolved BUDA format of One Venue, One Hotel, Ryder Cup "competitive" structure, "WhoTF cares who wins" philosophy.
2.  That it be pronounced that BUDA XI was not only that but also EUDA I, the first of a series of fledgling gatherings which are held outside of this sceptred isle, but within the European Union.
3.  That in 2014 we have both a BUDA XII and another gathering (which I will call EUDA II, at least temporarily) which is held outside of Britain.

From all the chat above, I assume that EUDA II will be held at Carne, in September, as Ally and Robin have graciously organised.  BUDA XII will be held either at St. Enodoc or Ganton (or wherever), with place and dates to be determined.

Rich

PPS--Past and future organisers of the EUDAs can feel free to change the name....

rfg

You always make me laugh, Sir Richard. Why not dub the last one the GOUDA, as in the savory Dutch cheese? 'Specially since it was your idea to name it the EUDA, Mr. GOUDale. ;D

Rich Goodale

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2013, 03:20:24 PM »

Ergo, I propose:

Rich

rfg

You always make me laugh, Sir Richard. Why not dub the last one the GOUDA, as in the savory Dutch cheese? 'Specially since it was your idea to name it the EUDA, Mr. GOUDale. ;D

You made my day, Eric.  I think "The Gouda Cup" is a brilliant idea, particularly given its genesis at BUDA XI.  Now all we need is Sean Arble to send one of his pals over to the Netherlands to buy either a Cup or a Cheese for future engraving.  My only concerns are, will the Irish be able to get the joke if GOUDA II is played in Carne and/or will Sean be able to source a cheese that will last as long as the BUDA Cup has?

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2013, 03:24:43 PM »
Speaking of cheese, I think Rich's important point is this is a moveable feast, although the less moveable -- so to speak -- the better. Meaning: the resident Yanks will be on a plane regardless of where it is; however, it will be much easier if the Brits and traitor Yanks are able to drive.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
Oui, Monsieur Bourgeois!

I await with unbated breath the announcement that EUDA/GOUDA III will be played at Morfontaine....

Reeshard
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back