News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: R&A solve the Portrush problem.
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »
What's the major local hotel? Call them and ask to book 5 rooms and pay up front for the 3rd week in July in 2019, if the Open is a done deal the R&A will already have booked them.
Cave Nil Vino

Niall C

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2014, 06:28:52 AM »
The report refers to changes ahead of the Irish Open in 2012. Can anyone remind me what they were and who designed them ?

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2014, 06:44:25 AM »
The report refers to changes ahead of the Irish Open in 2012. Can anyone remind me what they were and who designed them ?

Niall

Mackenzie and Ebert
Can't recall the detail but 17 and 18 were touched up

Let's make GCA grate again!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »
The Open Championship is returning to Royal Portrush for the first time since 1951, with an announcement naming the Northern Irish links as the 2019 host venue expected in the next few months.Speculation has been rife for months, but sources have told The Telegraph that "it is now a done deal". The influence and commitment of the Northern Ireland Assembly is being seen as crucial, as is the club's willingness to make radical course changes to accommodate hospitality and all the other infrastructure associated with staging a major.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/10822178/Royal-Portrush-to-host-Open-Championship-in-2019.html

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/10/open-royal-portrush-northern-ireland?CMP=twt_gu
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2014, 09:17:40 PM »
2019 Open at Portrush looks likely, reports Jeff Rude:

“I believe it’s a done deal,” one source close to the situation said. “I think I’s have been dotted and T’s crossed except for when will it be held there and how often.”

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/may/08/royal-portrush-2019-open-championship-sources/
They have not announced 2017 or 2018 yet. I suppose they could announce them all together as 2017: Birkdale 2018: Carnoustie 2019: Portrush 2020: St Andrews
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2014, 07:14:51 AM »
The R and A speak:

Portrush rumours: The R&A continues to discuss this at a conceptual level with Royal Portrush Golf Club and the Northern Ireland Executive.

Portrush rumours: Discussion has been positive but we are still some distance from being in a position to take The Open to Northern Ireland.

https://twitter.com/Randa/status/465426697870127104

https://twitter.com/Randa/status/465427256094257152

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2014, 08:31:36 PM »
And now, the Irish times is reporting a press conference is scheduled Monday to make the formal announcement.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/the-eagle-has-landed-as-british-open-comes-to-royal-portrush-1.1828961

2 new holes by Hawtree to replace 17 & 18.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2014, 12:52:37 AM »
How did Hawtree become the R&A's fair-haired boy? 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2014, 01:55:29 AM »
Future GCA thread.

Your top ten 38 hole clubs?

Scott Warren

« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2014, 03:30:26 AM »
Future GCA thread.

Your top ten 38 hole clubs?

Barnbougle has 38 holes!

That's all I can think of...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2014, 04:25:16 PM »
How did Hawtree become the R&A's fair-haired boy?  

Too easy.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2014, 03:06:36 AM »
Scratch 38 holes.

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2014/6/13/royal-portrush-we-cannot-stress-enough-that-the-decision-to-host-an-open-championship-will-be-the-members

Letter from the Captain still has MacKenzie and Ebert in the driving seat?

However much of the charm of the Valley Course may be challenged if it starts with the Old Dunluce 18th, 469 yards and the old 17th 488 yards and loses the two holes discussed above.

When I played Dunluce in 2008 we had a brief chat in the rain shelter by Calamity's tee with one of the Oldest members.  He said he would walk the hole as he could no longer make the carry.  He asked if I was going to play the Valley because he thought it was the only true links left.  No irrigation led to tight lies and golf as it used to be. "Today there's no where else like it."

By the time I played it a couple of years later fairway irrigation was underway and now this.

I have long wanted to see The Open back at Portrush and now I've seen the price.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2014, 04:33:47 AM »
Scratch 38 holes.

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/news-files/2014/6/13/royal-portrush-we-cannot-stress-enough-that-the-decision-to-host-an-open-championship-will-be-the-members

Letter from the Captain still has MacKenzie and Ebert in the driving seat?

However much of the charm of the Valley Course may be challenged if it starts with the Old Dunluce 18th, 469 yards and the old 17th 488 yards and loses the two holes discussed above.

When I played Dunluce in 2008 we had a brief chat in the rain shelter by Calamity's tee with one of the Oldest members.  He said he would walk the hole as he could no longer make the carry.  He asked if I was going to play the Valley because he thought it was the only true links left.  No irrigation led to tight lies and golf as it used to be. "Today there's no where else like it."

By the time I played it a couple of years later fairway irrigation was underway and now this.

I have long wanted to see The Open back at Portrush and now I've seen the price.

It's been a long, long time since I saw Portrush and that was on a flyer... Out of the top courses in Ireland, it is the one I know least... So I will make an effort to head up there this year.

If these are permanent changes, doesn't that mean Dunluce will now finish a considerable distance from the clubhouse?...

SURELY they can work out a more temporary solution that takes 17 & 18 out of play, even if it adds a bit of a green to tee walk for the pro's?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2014, 05:35:36 AM »
Ally

On Google earth I have it as 151 yards from middle of green to front door.  However when Buda was at Hoylake they allowed us to play the Open Routing,  but they were insistent we didn’t cross the original 1st hole (3rd in Open routing) as they didn’t want a path to form right in front of the clubhouse. This involved a lengthy walk around the back of the tees.   At Portrush the direct route from todays 16th to the clubhouse would be straight across the first fairway.

Regarding moving the 17th and 18th Dunluce to the Valley course.  Logistically this would work out fine for the Rathmore Club who have their own clubhouse right beside todays 18th tee.    But from the main clubhouse it would make far more sense to start on todays 17th (Dunluce) play the 16 holes remaining 16 on Valley and then finish on the old 18 Dunluce.  I also think that would make a better routing.  Interesting to see what transpires. There could be some times reserved for that routing?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2014, 05:44:47 AM »
Tony,

Portrush may not have the most attractive of clubhouses but which other old, traditional, tournament course do you know that doesn't at least have some connection of the 18th green to a clubhouse nearby?

Without remembering the course very well, if this becomes a permanent solution, be ready for "someone" to suggest redesigning the 1st and 16th holes as well...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2014, 05:51:22 AM »
The Open and the North West 200, that would make a nice double-header. Alas NW-200 is normally in May, so 2 months apart.

The previous winner at Royal Portrush was Max Faulkner, Father-in-law of Brian Barnes, who himself won The Seniors Open at RPGC a few years ago.

I remember watching BB on TV wearing shorts with long socks (and pipe) whilst playing in The Open. Would he be allowed to wear such attire at The Open these days?

atb

Niall C

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2014, 08:06:24 AM »
Tony,

Portrush may not have the most attractive of clubhouses but which other old, traditional, tournament course do you know that doesn't at least have some connection of the 18th green to a clubhouse nearby?

Without remembering the course very well, if this becomes a permanent solution, be ready for "someone" to suggest redesigning the 1st and 16th holes as well...

Carnoustie ?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »
May not be as uncommon as all that.

A few quick checks reveal Dornoch 140 yards and Deal 150 and both involve walking back across the first fairway.  However it's most evident at RSG where Crows find it 176 yards, but the rest of us have to go round the Artisans Clubhouse and then the pro shop.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back