News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Glowacki

Walker Cup 2013, NGLA
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:17:48 AM »
While on loop with senior club member and his guests, he confirmed there will be a temporary tee box for #3 (Alps).  Tee box
will be adjacent to 2nd green adding maybe 30 or 40 yards to tee shot.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Walker Cup 2013, NGLA
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »
This is such a great option for classic clubs that wish to host tournaments. Put in a sliver tee (I know they're not free nor cheap) that will be used for 1-2 rounds and dispose of it after.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »
I take it that this is a USGA event.  A new tee to add to the Mike Davis portfolio.  When will this end and will it end very well?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »
As of three weeks ago, no tee, and no semblance of a tee is in that location

Mark McKeever

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
Maybe theyre going to lay a driving range mat out there.

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 09:22:43 PM »

I take it that this is a USGA event.  A new tee to add to the Mike Davis portfolio.  When will this end and will it end very well?

JakaB,

Actually, I suggested a back tee on # 2 over a decade ago due to the impact high tech has had on the long cross bunker and the ease by which it's now flown.

When I first began playing NGLA, carrying the far right side of the cross bunker was a challenge, today, it's far less of a challenge.

CBM meant for the golfer to interface with that bunker, mentally, if not physically.
Ditto the "Hotel" bunker on # 7.

A back tee on # 3 would be a welcome, strategic, feature, as it would return the cross bunker's function.

The problem is the blind nature of the 2nd hole and the hazard created by crafting a tee parallel with the 2nd green.

I'm hoping to visit in the next week or so and will reexamine the area, but, under limited match play, creating a new tee would reintroduce the cross bunker, as CBM intended.

They will use the tee to the left of the 12th green for the back tee on # 7 and maybe use it for # 13 for a round as well.

Over the years, NGLA has added length to several holes in an attempt to restore the interfacing of the architectural features with the golfer, as CBM intended.

So, leave Mike Davis out of this, as he's been good for golf.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 09:39:55 PM »
Pat,

I' ve always known you and Mike Davis know more about modern architecture than any dead guy ever could. How could they/or you not? NGLA is not good enough for even our best amateurs. Change it, thanks be to God and the USGA.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »
JakaB,

NGLA began being altered the day it opened and that process continues today.

That process, initiated by CBM, improved NGLA as the game of golf changed

Virtually very hole has been lengthened to some degree, including # 3, so why would you prefer to see the strategic cross bunker become a vestigial feature, with no relevance, playability wise ?  ?  ?

Should NGLA be returned to it's 1909 state ?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »
Yes, why not?  These are amateurs? 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:56:55 PM »
The club wants the event, the publicity and the fleeting fame. It's their course. If Mike Davis wants a small slice of the world to look at this Mona Lisa, she'll be painted to his liking;  'twas ever thus.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 07:55:21 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 11:45:10 PM »

Yes, why not? 

Because the intent of the architectural features, in terms of interfacing with the golfer, would be lost.

How many times have you played NGLA

These are amateurs? 

You must be kidding.

Amateurs who drive the ball 300+ yards.
Amateurs who will probably be Tour players in a few years.

Hesse are the best Amateurs in the US and UK

Hardly weekend players

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 11:57:04 PM »
why would you prefer to see the strategic cross bunker become a vestigial feature, with no relevance, playability wise ?  ?  ?

That bunker has relevance for someone.
Not every bunker needs to be strategic for everybody, especially NGLA's 200+.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 12:06:40 AM »

why would you prefer to see the strategic cross bunker become a vestigial feature, with no relevance, playability wise ?  ?  ?

That bunker has relevance for someone.

But, "Someone" isn't playing NGLA on September 6th, 7th and 8th.
The best Amateurs are

Not every bunker needs to be strategic for everybody, especially NGLA's 200+.

True, but some bunkers ARE strategic for everybody, such as the fronting bunker on # 6

And, the cross bunker on # 3 was intended to be strategic for everybody, as are almost every cross bunker

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »
Thank you Pat
I wasn't arguing this specific bunker.

It looks like a good place for a new tee.
Will the new location make the bunker a hazard for any of the top amateurs?
It looks like it will only be 237 carry to the longest point.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

jkinney

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »
While on loop with senior club member and his guests, he confirmed there will be a temporary tee box for #3 (Alps).  Tee box
will be adjacent to 2nd green adding maybe 30 or 40 yards to tee shot.

Chuck - If so, why hasn't the tee on Alps long since been built ? I'm told the USGA decided against it.....we'll see. The new tee for St. Andrews (7th) and Eden (13th) adjacent to Sebonac's (12th) green was used in the Four Ball for Eden. It's a great addition for sure, a nice angle from which to approach the hole.

Jeff Bertch

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »
As always, strategy and toughness at NGLA will rely more on the direction of the wind than "new tees". I hit it 270 - 280 yards and the carries on #2 and #7 are impossible into a good wind. NGLA has added 4 new tees and has some other unusual options they are considering on #13 and #14, one mentioned by Mr. Kinney. I'll start with the new tees.

#3 Alps No new tee, yet. Still 270 yds to cross bunker, then 155 yd uphill, blind shot. Risk/reward in full effect as tee shot down the right fairway gives you more of a look at the green.

#7 Road Hole New tee in red (500 yds). Added 30 yards to existing. Long carry is now 270, usually into a prevailing wind.

#12 Sebonac New tee in red (459 yds). Added 30 yards. Long carry is 295...obviously much shorter the further right you hit it.

#13 Eden Possibility of using back tee on 7 for one day. Only adds 10 yards, but a totally different angle. Can play anywhere from 165 - 195 yds.

#14 Cape Possibility of using front tee (310 yds) for a day. Front edge is 290 yds from tee. *Front edge is 310 yds from middle tee and 345 yds from back.

#15 Narrows New tee in red (417 yds). Added 25 yds. Much tougher angle.

#16 Punchbowl New tee in red (475 yds). Added 55 yds. Carry to the top of the hill is 280 yds.

**Prevailing wind is from the south. For example, a helping wind on the back nine. I think this is the reason for the extra yardage on the back nine. Regardless, NGLA is a fantastic match play course with risk/reward holes, blind shots, massive greens! Should be an exciting few days. I strongly encourage any fan of GCA to come out in September.
you know...a caddie, a looper, a jock

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »
when I played there a couple days before Sandy last fall, there was an area cleared way back to the right of the green very near the neighboring clubwith the clubhouse that ruins the skytop dimension of the 18th green.  Prior to the round, Jim Morris mentioned this tee and the other new one's for the event.  Aside from Alps, I played all the new tees and had a lot of fun.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »
Thank you Pat
I wasn't arguing this specific bunker.

It looks like a good place for a new tee.
Will the new location make the bunker a hazard for any of the top amateurs?
It looks like it will only be 237 carry to the longest point.

Mike,

Sometimes the heavy sea air makes those carries further than the yardage would indicate, so yes, a new back tee would present a challenge up the right side.

With respect to # 3, the tall fescue on the hill tends to throttle most big hitter s back a notch

Cheers

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »
Jeff Bertch, do you know how long NGLA will measure in at, with these new tees? 

Jeff Bertch

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »
Jeff Bertch, do you know how long NGLA will measure in at, with these new tees? 

Jim,

All but #16 is on the current scorecard. Plays over 6900 yds.
you know...a caddie, a looper, a jock

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back