News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lynn_Shackelford

Unintended consequences, driver
« on: July 21, 2013, 06:43:36 PM »
I have long felt that the 460cc limit was too big for drivers.  We have now watched a player win two weeks in a row.  I don't think he had a driver in the bag this week, I am not sure about last week.  The new faces on 3 woods are so hot that is it possible at the elite level, the 460cc driver is becoming extinct?  I would love to see the percentages, but I suspect that drivers were used less than 40% of the time on par 4's and par 5's at Murifield.
Those folks at Callaway must be rushing Phil's special 3 wood into production asap.
Is this the beginning of the end for the 460cc driver for the elite players?

Full disclosure: I don't like the look of the 460cc and play with TaylorMade's R7 425.  I am wondering if with the new face I could hit the 3 wood just as far and surely straighter.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill Vogeney

Re: Unintended consequences, driver
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
I have long felt that the 460cc limit was too big for drivers.  We have now watched a player win two weeks in a row.  I don't think he had a driver in the bag this week, I am not sure about last week.  The new faces on 3 woods are so hot that is it possible at the elite level, the 460cc driver is becoming extinct?  I would love to see the percentages, but I suspect that drivers were used less than 40% of the time on par 4's and par 5's at Murifield.
Those folks at Callaway must be rushing Phil's special 3 wood into production asap.

Full disclosure: I don't like the look of the 460cc and play with TaylorMade's R7 425.  I am wondering if with the new face I could hit the 3 wood just as far and surely straighter.
Lynn, not sure how much you can extrapolate from Phil's win with that Frankenwood 3 metal. He has always been eclectic with his equipment, and arguably the driver is the worst club in his bag. Muirfield just happened to be playing so firm and fast, even I could have played it without a driver from the back tees.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »
Personally, I am all for a push back against driver shaft lengths of 45" to 46", especially for double-digit handicaps (such as yours truly). I am more than willing to sacrifice the potential length a longer shaft may offer for the more consistent solid contact I can get with a 44"- 44 1/2" shaft.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »
I do think that it had more to do with the conditions at Muirfield than the actual hotness of the 3 wood. Phil's 3 wood was more of a 2 wood at 13 degrees for Merion, so that also plays a role in it.

That being said, I'm surprised more amateurs don't try playing with the newer 3 woods and leaving the driver out of the bag. My good friend at the U of O hits his 3 wood (taylormade rocketballz) farther and much more accurately than his driver (the original Cleveland Hibore). He's thinking of getting a new driver, in which case I'll report what the difference is when he does.

Connor
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »
I bought the Rocketballz three-wood about six weeks ago. I don't play a ton these days, but I probably have hit driver twice a round on average since I bought it, and have shot lower scores. In fact, I shot my first under-par nine in a few years and never pulled the head-cover off the driver. Never even considered it.

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
This is topical as I just got done playing a round where I only hit two drivers. I am struggling with my driver right now, which is why I am not hitting it, but I have found that I hit my Ping I20 three wood long enough where I was able to play well on a pretty long golf course.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:12:11 PM »
I have a Rocketballz driver (9 degrees) and also a spoon (13 degrees). I find that because I can tee it really low I actually get more top spin and roll off the 3 wood/spoon and I can hit it nearly as far as my driver. Considering that's playing in Arizona, the land of the soggy fairway, it's saying something.

But, oddly, I hit the driver straighter.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »

Lynn, not sure how much you can extrapolate from Phil's win with that Frankenwood 3 metal. He has always been eclectic with his equipment, and arguably the driver is the worst club in his bag. Muirfield just happened to be playing so firm and fast, even I could have played it without a driver from the back tees.

The Phrankenwood has 8.5 degrees of loft, is 45 inches in length.  It's size is 250cc.  You might say it was conditions at Murifield but he has been using sent Augusta.  No wonder he could reach 17 into the wind.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:35:46 AM »
IIRC, when he was carrying 2 big headed drivers, one of them was a 46", 6 or 6.5* loft.  So, 8.5* sounds right for this frankenwood. 

Wouldn't the whole idea be to strategically meet the Muirfield conditions of long ball roll-outs, due to F&F?  Does Phil forgoe the driver on soft FW courses?  I don't know and haven't followed it that close.

I would agree with Lynn if he is saying one reason he doesn't like the big headed drivers due to the look of a clumsey elephant foot at the end of a stick.  Me too...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JESII

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »
Are you guys saying the "3 wood" Phil is using has 8.5 degrees loft and 45 inches length?

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 09:51:36 AM »
IIRC, when he was carrying 2 big headed drivers, one of them was a 46", 6 or 6.5* loft.  So, 8.5* sounds right for this frankenwood. 

Wouldn't the whole idea be to strategically meet the Muirfield conditions of long ball roll-outs, due to F&F?  Does Phil forgoe the driver on soft FW courses?  I don't know and haven't followed it that close.

I would agree with Lynn if he is saying one reason he doesn't like the big headed drivers due to the look of a clumsey elephant foot at the end of a stick.  Me too...

The longest club in his bag was the Callaway X Hot 3Deep 13 degree 3 wood. I have never heard of a 3 wood setup with 8.5 degrees of loft.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:21 AM »
According to "WITB" reports from Muirfield he did not have that "Phrankenwood" small-headed, low-lofted club in the bag for the week of the Open. He did not feel it suited his game plan for the course.

Best not to get all worked up over a player using something he was not, in fact, using at all. Wait until his next clever, idiosyncratic equipment experiment. I doubt it will be long coming. Never is with Phil!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »
I think a lot of the pros have trended to 425-440 cc drivers. If you check the "Tour" versions of the OEM drivers a lot of them are a little smaller.

JMEvensky

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »

Are you guys saying the "3 wood" Phil is using has 8.5 degrees loft and 45 inches length?

Per Golf World this morning,it's a deeper faced Callaway 3-wood, 13*,and 43 1/4 inches long.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »

Per Golf World this morning,it's a deeper faced Callaway 3-wood, 13*,and 43 1/4 inches long.

Sounds like a pretty standard Tour-player 3-wood in other words.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »
I'll still play my new rocketballz 3-wood and love it!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

JMEvensky

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 10:38:25 AM »

Sounds like a pretty standard Tour-player 3-wood in other words.

Article says 10% deeper faced--that's pretty stout,even for those guys.

Carson Pilcher

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »
Phil mentioned in a post-round interview that it was an X-Hot 3 wood.

Also, as mentioned above, most "Tour" drivers are smaller than retail versions.  I know for a fact that Taylormade's Tour version drivers are 420 cc or 440 cc depending on the version.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with clubhead size, but shaft length.   Allows most players to hit the clubface more squarely, equating into more distance and straighter ball flight.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 10:47:39 AM »
I have a Rocketballz driver (9 degrees) and also a spoon (13 degrees). I find that because I can tee it really low I actually get more top spin and roll off the 3 wood/spoon and I can hit it nearly as far as my driver. Considering that's playing in Arizona, the land of the soggy fairway, it's saying something.

But, oddly, I hit the driver straighter.

Top spin!  ::)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Thurman

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
The setup at The Open is so firm and fast that it makes pure distance less of an asset and more of something that must be controlled. Guys weren't hitting 5 irons off the tee because they were running out farther than a driver would have. They were hitting 5 irons off the tee because they needed to control how far the ball went to have a better chance of keeping it in play.

460cc clubheads aren't going to vanish from Tour.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »
Personally, I am all for a push back against driver shaft lengths of 45" to 46", especially for double-digit handicaps (such as yours truly). I am more than willing to sacrifice the potential length a longer shaft may offer for the more consistent solid contact I can get with a 44"- 44 1/2" shaft.

If they were going to legislate the driver, I think it would be better to work on the head size and COR than shaft length.  What about a guy who is 6'6", he might want a driver longer than 45" just to avoid stooping over too much.

I've personally never owned a driver as long as 45".  I've them had built to 44" and 44.5" over the past decade.  Length isn't a problem for me with the driver, controlling it is, so a shorter driver than most use makes sense for me.

Drivers are always claiming to add length, one of the best ways to actually do so is to make it longer.  Golfers remember their longest drives, and may forget that they hit fewer of them in the fairway - they'll attribute that to being unfamiliar with the club and assume they'll straighten it out after they've used it a while.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 06:12:12 PM »
"If they were going to legislate the driver, I think it would be better to work on the head size and COR than shaft length.  What about a guy who is 6'6", he might want a driver longer than 45" just to avoid stooping over too much."

Doug S. -

I was certainly not intending to argue for any kind of legislation/ruling that would limit driver shaft length. I was simply suggesting that most "normal" sized golfers would be happier & more productive using a driver with a shaft of less than 45".

DT

Brent Hutto

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
Through extensive trial and error I have "titrated" my driver length to around 44-1/2" or 44-3/4" as being ideal. Any longer than about 45"  they feel unwieldy and start to swing me instead of me swinging them. From about 44" on down I tend to get a little quick and OTT. There is some sort of sweet spot around 44-3/4" where I swing more on plane and with a more consistent tempo.

When the first few 460cc, roughly 45" drivers hit the market I found I hit them much better than the old short+heavy ones. Then they started being 46" or occasionally even longer and I did not find the latest and greatest worked well.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 06:27:35 PM »
This was Phil's bag makeup for the Open...it was the 13 degree 3 Deep as noted above.

http://mobile.golfweek.com/news/2013/jul/21/british-open-2013-phil-mickelson-equipment/?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back