News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Muirfield Bunkers
« on: July 20, 2013, 12:12:01 PM »
I love the bunkers, the creativity it inspires the players and their wonderful play. Makes me want to put on my old spikes and dig in.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David_Tepper

Re: Muirfield Bunkers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »
I like the Muirfield bunkers. Many are neither round nor oval shaped. Some of the bunker walls a very vertical.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
I love the bunkers, the creativity it inspires the players and their wonderful play. Makes me want to put on my old spikes and dig in.

You would have to change to soft spikes first.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
Yes, it seems to me that we should tip our hats to the ongoing restoration, and maintenance of these bunkers, that has taken place over the decades.  The re-positioning needed over the years to take into account the increased distance considerations, and the included collection sphere of influence of them, low entry profile and revetted backside, not to mention the sand texture that these pros are not used to in normal tournament play, all adds to the excitement and huge role the bunkers play.  Just think, Tiger was never in a single bunker at the equally dry and F&F TOC in 2000, and this year, they will take their toll, as his bonehead play on 17 just now demonstrates.

Then one considers the influence of the bunkers on Jimenez, who has shown brilliance but finally succumbed to a failed bunker shot on 16 also just now. 

I just don't know how anyone can not enjoy this golf tournament!  8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 09:10:14 PM »

You would have to change to soft spikes first.

Actually I played Muirfield two years ago with the metals.  Was very fun!

Grant Saunders

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
Has anyone got any good photos of the bunkering at Muirfield by any chance?

Thanks,
Ally

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »
Ally, I took this picture in September 2012. I'm not sure if that was before or after the referenced restoration began.

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

David Whitmer

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
Ally,

I just have a few. These photos were taken in early May, 2013. This is just right of the first green:

This is left of the twelfth green:

This is left of the thirteenth green:

This is left of the fifteenth green:

This is the seventeenth fairway:

This is right of the eighteenth green:

This is short of the eighteenth green:

Frank Pont

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 02:51:31 PM »
it seems to me that we should tip our hats to the ongoing restoration of these bunkers, that has taken place over the decades. 

This is how the Muirfield bunkers used to look pre WWII, before they were "restored"

Maybe interesting to read the article Paul Turner and I wrote on the subject some years ago...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10772736/GolfClubAtlas/BO-bunkers.pdf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »
What I've always liked about the bunkering at Muirfield is the gathering effect of the surrounds, the way balls are almost 'encouraged' to roll into a nearby bunker. Makes the bunkers play so much larger than their size. Is there another course where the bunkering has an equal or greater gathering effect?
Atb

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 03:51:55 PM »
it seems to me that we should tip our hats to the ongoing restoration of these bunkers, that has taken place over the decades. 

This is how the Muirfield bunkers used to look pre WWII, before they were "restored"

Maybe interesting to read the article Paul Turner and I wrote on the subject some years ago...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10772736/GolfClubAtlas/BO-bunkers.pdf

Frank - Those look pretty cool!

Will Lozier

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 11:53:13 PM »
I prefer the original.  Like the current, and maybe it functions better with the gathering effect but like the rugged look better.

Marc Haring

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 08:06:09 AM »
I much prefer the original bunkers. Could they ever return given a little GCA pressure?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »
Thanks for your photos David, all....

Have we ever truly investigated what were the primary catalysts for the movement towards revetted bunkers on some of the Open courses like Muirfield?... And when this happened?... And who promoted it?

I like both styles and see pro's and con's for each...

Ally

Marc Haring

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »
Thanks for your photos David, all....

Have we ever truly investigated what were the primary catalysts for the movement towards revetted bunkers on some of the Open courses like Muirfield?... And when this happened?... And who promoted it?

I like both styles and see pro's and con's for each...

Ally

Good question. Being in the course maintenance business a while back I do remember the revetted style suddenly being very much in vogue around the late 1980's even on inland courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back