News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Doleshel

Erik de Lambert-Gleneagles GC in San Francisco
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:29:24 AM »
I never had the opportunity to meet Erik de Lambert, former operator of Gleneagles Golf Course in San Francisco, one of my favorite courses anywhere.  He sounded one of a kind.  He passed away in late June.  Here is the link to the obit.  I know Anthony (if he's still on here) met him while writing To The Nines.  Anybody on here have any good stories from meeting him at the Eagle?  It sounded like he was definitely responsible for keeping the golf course afloat during the 1980s and 1990s.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sfgate/obituary.aspx?n=erik-s-de-lambert&pid=165696537

David_Tepper

Re: Erik de Lambert-Gleneagles GC in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »
Keith -

I met Erik out at MacClaren/Gleneagles around 1980, shortly after he took over the operation of the golf course. He was one of those "larger than life" characters. The work he did on the course (and to the clubhouse as well) was a real transformation. Very sorry to hear of his passing. Thank you for posting the link to his obituary.

DT

Jim Nugent

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:33:16 AM »
 I played Gleneagles a number of times in the late 1980s.  Really enjoyed it, and felt it was quite a bit better than, say, Crystal Springs.  The wind created some real challenging shots, especially on the lower parts of the course. 

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:40:21 PM »
Back in the 80's I was on the first tee with a couple of friends, waiting for the group ahead to hit their second shots.  One of my friends was taking some practice swings (with his driver) when Erik came out to the tee and nearly threw us off the course!  No practice swings on the tee...step off to the side to do it!

Another time he turned away a buddy of mine who didn't have golf shoes.  No shoes, no play!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back