News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Saranac Lake Golf Club - 1919 pics
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
I recently spent a few days within the Adirondack Park region in upstate New York and decided I would play a few of the older courses before they dry up and blow away. The first course I played was Saranac Lake Golf Club. I really wasn't expecting much, but there were a few excellent holes of intererest, no fairway irrigation and the greens and green complexes were actually pretty incredible to say the least. The club is semi-private and tee times are not required. It was about $13 to walk 9 holes. Their website mentions Alex (A.H) Findley and Tilly as the architects of record. I had some difficulty finding much information about the club, and it was possibly known as Ray Brook Links at some point. I apologize for the bright green in the pics, the weather was crappy, and I just bought a new camera and have not had ample time to practice with it! Obviously not a destination course, but certainly worth a look if near Lake Placid.

"A golf course architect, A. H. Findley, was hired that fall and his plan for the course was accepted.  An architect by the name of Tillinghast was also involved - possibly the same Tillinghast who designed the Winged Foot course in Westchester County, New York."

On to the pictures:

Hole 1, par 5, 455 yards

Hole 2, par 4, 405 yards

Hole 3, par 4, 397 yards

Hole 4, par 3, 159 yards

Hole 5, par 4, 318 yards

Hole 6, par 3, 179 yards

Hole 7, par 4, 282 yards (was most likely a par 3 originally. This hole was flooded and could basically not be played)

Hole 8, par5, 419 yards. I found an old picture and postcard of this hole as it looked originally. It has railroad tracks running down the left side [looking backwards from the green), but they can barely be seen present day.

Hole 9, par 4, 335 yards

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:17:52 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

David Harshbarger

Re: Saranac Lake Golf Club - 1919 pics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »
Ok, that is very cool.  The greens on the first few holes are very interesting.  Those are not random landforms.  Looks like a fine gem in the 'Dacks.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

John Blain

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »
I believe this is the club where Ben Hogan spent a summer working as an apprentice professional under the legendary late Hyke Tyrell.
Too bad it's not in better shape.

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »
A couple of observations-

The opening pic of the 1st hole is gorgeous.

The sixth looks like a devilishly cool par tree.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:13:58 AM »
Can you speak with them about abandoning whatever tee they use for #6 and instead, construct a tee from the spot where you shot your first picture of #6 (the one with the guy in the white shirt)? What a Redan (not the golf hole template, the raised fortress concept) that would be.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David Cronheim

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »
Impressive looking green complexes. You can clearly tell there was someone moving dirt there who knew what they were doing.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »
Can you speak with them about abandoning whatever tee they use for #6 and instead, construct a tee from the spot where you shot your first picture of #6 (the one with the guy in the white shirt)? What a Redan (not the golf hole template, the raised fortress concept) that would be.

That is hilarious, for I had the exact same thought! Scrolled back and forth between those pics a few times, then scrolled down to the comments.

Thank you for posting, Richard. It's interesting to me that despite minimal maintenance the playing corridors appear wide, with relatively little tree encroachment. Why is that?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
In April of 1920 it was reported that "Ferris Scott, a professional golf player, has arrived in town to superintend the laying out of the course of the new Saranac Lake Golf Club"

David Harshbarger,
The Archery "Pro" at Saranac Lake at that time was a man named D. W. Hershberger.    ;D

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:42:59 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bruce Katona

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »
Can you all just imagine the discussion, fun & enjoyment GCA could have with a few hundred thousand dollars and some time to resotr this gem.  There is quite a bit of history buried under many of those bumps and rolls.

Will Lozier

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:18:35 PM »
Richard,

My wife, two-year-old and I just spent a day and a half in Lake Placid (probably around the same time) and I took my sticks with the intent on playing one round.  We are in Bennington, VT for the month from Atlanta and I had always wanted to play one of the area's (LP) courses when I was a PGA member in Burlington many years ago.  I opted for Lake Placid Links (Dunn) which I enjoyed thoroughly.  But, ironically, having planned on camping, due to the wet weather, we decided to stay in the cabins just across the road from Saranac Lake and I saw that first hole (and the island green near #1 tee) and seriously considered playing there instead.  Great little tour!  You seem to have an OH connection and I'll pm you as it is my home state....we'll have to chat.

Cheers

PS - I am not convinced that the postcard is relevant.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:20:11 PM by Will Lozier »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:22 PM »
I believe this is the club where Ben Hogan spent a summer working as an apprentice professional under the legendary late Hyke Tyrell.
Too bad it's not in better shape.

No irrigation. The greens were IMPECCABLE and a pleasant surprise!
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 09:29:29 PM »

I took that picture (the guy with white shirt) prior to walking up to the #6 tee box. One can only imagine that they tried to add length anywhere possible ruining the hole (for you). Hole number 7, I bet, was originally a par 3. They added a tee box adding 100 yards, almost all of it flooded. I had to just drop a ball 100 yards from the green and play it that way due to the amount of standing water.

This course, while not meant to be a destination, was certainly a refreshing diamond in the rough and worth a stop for sure.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:31:39 PM »

That is hilarious, for I had the exact same thought! Scrolled back and forth between those pics a few times, then scrolled down to the comments.

Thank you for posting, Richard. It's interesting to me that despite minimal maintenance the playing corridors appear wide, with relatively little tree encroachment. Why is that?

I thought the same thing, but for such a small piece of property, it did not play tight at all. The shorter length helps in this area as well as you can easily play from an adjacent fairway.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
Richard,

My wife, two-year-old and I just spent a day and a half in Lake Placid (probably around the same time) and I took my sticks with the intent on playing one round.  We are in Bennington, VT for the month from Atlanta and I had always wanted to play one of the area's (LP) courses when I was a PGA member in Burlington many years ago.  I opted for Lake Placid Links (Dunn) which I enjoyed thoroughly.  But, ironically, having planned on camping, due to the wet weather, we decided to stay in the cabins just across the road from Saranac Lake and I saw that first hole (and the island green near #1 tee) and seriously considered playing there instead.  Great little tour!  You seem to have an OH connection and I'll pm you as it is my home state....we'll have to chat.

Cheers

PS - I am not convinced that the postcard is relevant.

The postcard shows what the course looked like looking backwards from the 8th fairway to the 8th tee box.There are a lot more trees and overgrowth bordering the property line along the railroad tracks. I wish I had taken a picture for comparison's sake!

David Harshbarger

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 10:48:26 PM »
In April of 1920 it was reported that "Ferris Scott, a professional golf player, has arrived in town to superintend the laying out of the course of the new Saranac Lake Golf Club"

David Harshbarger,
The Archery "Pro" at Saranac Lake at that time was a man named D. W. Hershberger.    ;D

Obviously, an impostor!
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
That 6th green site is just tremendous -- a real golf hole.

I've heard there are other old gems buried deep in the Adirondacks.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »
That 6th green site is just tremendous -- a real golf hole.

Agreed Phil!!  The grading on the 6th hole is phenomenal!!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:38:39 PM »

You heard right, but another good reason to play in the Adirondacks (or the Catskills) is the weather - in the summer months it's usually 10% cooler and less humid than it is in the lowlands.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Paul OConnor

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:13 PM »
Where do they keep the goats?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 07:50:46 AM »
Love the ADK region.  Spent a few days up there last year - nothing better than the sound of a loon to wake you in the morning.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back