News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Richard_Mandell

The 2013 Symposium on Affordable Golf
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »
The 4th Annual Symposium on Affordable Golf will again be held at Southern Pines Golf Club on October 28th and 29th. The agenda is set and we have begun taking registrations.

Please take a look at the agenda and speakers we have this year on the Symposium website:

www.symposiumonaffordablegolf.com

As in years past, we have participants with experience all along the golf industry spectrum to discuss relevant issues concerning the growth and enjoyment of the game. The best moments from our previous symposiums were the discussion and debate prompted by either insightful or controversial topics presented by our speakers. Along those lines, we hope that more of you on this forum who participate in the discussion and debate here will join us this fall in person to share your ideas.

Also, if you have a few minutes and didn't take it last year, please have a look at our survey:

The Golf Experience - Your Way, which can also be found on the Symposium website just above the SOAG mission statement.

Our goal is to cull information from this survey that may reveal where changes can be made to the golf experience that can make golf more affordable, fun, playable, or simply a more efficient operation. Last year, we had over 800 respondents, and we'd like to add to that sample size.

Thank you, and I look forward to seeing you in October.

Richard

RJ_Daley

Re: The 2013 Symposium on Affordable Golf
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
This must certainly have become one of the most important conventions or annual meetings in the golf industry.  Richard's leadership in making this symposium an annual tradition is in my opinion one of the most admirable efforts that have been advanced in recent years.

I have one question looking at the agenda.  What is the meaning of the section on White Bear Yacht Club in the discussion of 'affordable golf".   I'm guessing that inclusion in the discussion is solely on the aspects of a natural and minimal approach to using the land available in the most efficient and least expensive approach to the intersection of construction and design,  as Ross approached the project.  Surely, the exclusive and as I understand expensive membership of WBYC is not in the affordable sense. 

Of course the club goals and philosophy set the overall tone of affordability and exclusivity through cost of membership, and that may not have anything to do with ithe question of if the course is affordable in a design construction sense.  But, also isn't it expensive in that particular case to maintain that particular golf course due to all the slopes and hills and hummocks that are present due to the natural laying of a golf course over that specific property?  If for some inconceivable reason WBYC reverted to an open to public non-membership club, could it be operated
"affordably" given the nature of its terrain and design? 

How is Keller coming along Richard?  From what I've seen, that is a golden opportunity to really demonstrate your architectural design and construction management bona fides.  Wishing you all the best on that project!!!

I may be available Friday while I'm visiting the TC to take a drive past there.  Is it possible to take a wander around the project site?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
RJ,

You are exactly right about why White Bear is included.  Your words couldn't explain it better, "inclusion in the discussion is solely on the aspects of a natural and minimal approach to using the land available in the most efficient and least expensive approach to the intersection of construction and design'.

You are also correct in your assessment that we can't control how a club approaches affordability or exclusivity.  This is why we had Pasatiempo discussed a few years back.  It had nothing to do with their club profile but had to do with their approach to natural areas, etc.  We are interested in ways to make the game more affordable, enjoyable, sustainable, etc. and will use examples from anywhere. 

One can't control whether a facility that has done something to save money, etc. decides to pass that savings on to the end user. But if a reputable club does something innovative, then a facility with less of a pedigree should be able to look at the idea and embrace it instead of shrugging it off with the attitude that "We are too good for that" or "We don't do that here".  If a club like Pasatiempo can do it, than many others can too.

RJ, have you taken the survey yet?

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
RJ,

I don't think the terrain would be an issue when it comes to affordability for a site like White Bear. The fact that it is all natural drainage and the routing is based on working around the natural drainage patterns without needing to install subsurface drainage helps it even more if it were open to more rounds.

Keller is coming along great.  I'll be glad to show you around on my next visit (July 15-17). It isn't open for public access visits, though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back