News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Re: GCA Architects' Choice Top-100... 91-100 now posted
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
Well, this will surely be a 'different' list and not necessarily one that follows GolfClubAtlas consensus.

Woking makes an appearance, and surprisingly, so do both Torrey Pines and Loch Lomond.

Fishers Island number 92?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
Isn't Loch Lomond where Tom Weiskopf almost met an untimely demise via quicksand?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
as has been stated in other places....

What if Trump was right and the top 10 goes down like this?

1 TRUMP INTERNATIONAL GOLF LINKS, SCOTLAND (We already know this!)
2 TRUMP NATIONAL GOLF CLUB, BEDMINSTER, NJ
3 TRUMP NATIONAL GOLF CLUB, WESTCHESTER, NY
4 TRUMP INTERNATIONAL GOLF CLUB, DUBAI (not even built yet)
5 TRUMP NATIONAL GOLF CLUB, COLTS NECK, NJ
6 TRUMP NATIONAL DORAL, MIAMI
7 TRUMP NATIONAL GOLF CLUB, WASHINGTON DC
8 TRUMP NATIONAL GOLF CLUB, HUDSON VALLEY, NY
9 TRUMP NATIONAL GOLF CLUB, JUPITER, FL
10 TRUMP NATIONAL GOLF CLUB, PHILADELPHIA
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
oh goodie... another list to while away my hours instead of trying to sell something.  And, it's already off to an interesting start.  Fisher's Island - 92... Capilano - 91... Olympic (Lake) 95.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »
Olympic was a top 25 world course just a few years ago.  It has dropped steadily by every magazine over the last 20 years a now with most recent work is barely a top 100 course.  Perhaps it's the best example of a big course falling.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
Olympic was a top 25 world course just a few years ago.  It has dropped steadily by every magazine over the last 20 years a now with most recent work is barely a top 100 course.  Perhaps it's the best example of a big course falling.

No denying that it's been dropping, and maybe rightly so (for whatever these rankings are worth).  With that said, #95 is a bit extreme IMHO.   

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
Olympic fell all the way to the level of Torrey???

Torrey is basically as good as Fishers??

Curious to know who the architects who made these rankings are.     

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
Who is actually writing the commentary description of each course?  If 240 archies are voting their top choices, some person has to be distilling it down to a short commentary.  Who is that person, and does it reflect why and how the archies voted as they did?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
Olympic fell all the way to the level of Torrey???

Curious to know who the architects who made these rankings are.     

The same type of modern American architects who are both way over their head on both of these projects.  Rees at Torrey and Bill Love at Olympic.  Both former ASGCA presidents!   

Fishers is a head scratcher?   Embarrassing for Fishers to be placed next to these two.  A complete oversight.

Greg Holland

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »
Peachtree, Honors and Shadow Creek are all in the top third or two thirds of Golf Magazine, Golf Digest and Golf Week rankings.  From photo tours, they looik very interesting, if not compelling.  Torrey is only listed in Golf - at 79 if I recall correctly, and is 20th in CA in GD's list, well behind several ranked courses which are in the both 20 of GD's list.  Yet, Torrey is ahead of those courses in this list.  I have never played Torrey, but I have watched many tournament rounds on tv, and it just does not seem that architecturally interesting.  It has great views and scenery by virtue of its location, but why would architects rank it so highly?  Maybe we can all learn something from this list?  Thoughts?  Architects explain and edutcate us please.  Did the US Open boost it's ranking?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 02:03:27 AM »
Joel, do you think Torrey is as good as Olympic now? 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 05:33:08 AM »
It was an interesting experiment by Adam and Toby to set up these rankings… After all, those famous 1939 rankings with Foulpointe at No.10 were a poll of architects, weren’t they?...

I hope they continue with them and try and refine them… The trend over 10 years will be the most interesting thing as certain architects drop out of the industry and a new breed start appearing – I would expect dramatic changes based on that alone…

Few observations:

1.The method was a bit woeful (asking for Top-10 world in order) but can understand it would have been the easiest to collate quickly
2. Given that the big design houses have employed the most architects over the past 30 years, you are clearly going to see a trend towards some of those modern style of courses.
3. It’s just a bit of fun

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 07:32:58 AM »
If the methodology was to have each architect list their top 10, that means at least one person had Torrey Pines top 10 in the world. Wow.

I'd be interested in having the editors explain why they chose this methodology. It would seem to leave the door open for dozens of legitimate world-class courses to be left out and more than a few pet favourites to squeeze in.

Mark Saltzman

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
If the methodology was to have each architect list their top 10, that means at least one person had Torrey Pines top 10 in the world. Wow.

I'd be interested in having the editors explain why they chose this methodology. It would seem to leave the door open for dozens of legitimate world-class courses to be left out and more than a few pet favourites to squeeze in.

I reckon Ally must mean top 100.  A Top 10 couldn't possibly generate such a diversity of answers.  If so, this is a complete waste of time as an exercise. 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Saltzman

Re: GCA Architects' Choice Top-100... 81-100 now posted
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
Sean, I believe he wrote it correctly... Each gave a top-10.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 08:35:49 AM »

Holy Moses.  I would have thought most archies would not get within a pole's reach of this sort of thing. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 08:37:28 AM »
So that means that there's a respondent out there (maybe more than one) who voted Torrey Pines as one of the top 10 courses in the world.  Does that on its own destroy the credibility of the exercise?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
I was a participant in the Golf Course Architecture Top 100

One of the rules was that it was a course that I have played on not walked around or seen on TV or magazines. This is probably why Torrey Pines and Fishers Island are in the 91-100 bracket for varying reasons as we know.

I suspect that there will be a lot of variations and surprises in the rankings.

Looking forward to the countdown to the no.1 course voted by Golf Course Architects / Designers themselves.

Paul Jones

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 10:03:47 AM »
So that means that there's a respondent out there (maybe more than one) who voted Torrey Pines as one of the top 10 courses in the world.  Does that on its own destroy the credibility of the exercise?

Maybe he has only seen 10 courses  ;D
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
Joel, do you think Torrey is as good as Olympic now? 

I'll rephrase your question, Do I think Olympic is as bad as Torrey, yes.

Both reworked their golf courses for 1 week in June and wrecked their golf courses.  Both are long, hard and no fun.  They are poster children for what is wrong in American golf.  The good news is both could be fixed.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »
It was an interesting experiment by Adam and Toby to set up these rankings… After all, those famous 1939 rankings with Foulpointe at No.10 were a poll of architects, weren’t they?...

Ally, that was fabricated. I will leave to others any lessons drawn by comparing that made-up architects' list to a list where real architects consider Torrey Pines one of the world's 10 greatest courses.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »

Ally, that was fabricated. I will leave to others any lessons drawn by comparing that made-up architects' list to a list where real architects consider Torrey Pines one of the world's 10 greatest courses.

I know it was, Mark... I'm not really a fan of those smiley / winky yellow faces though.

But out of the 240 "real" architects polled, I'd guess that more than half of them don't have remotely the same preferences as most on here when it comes to deciding what makes a great golf course.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 11:13:25 AM »
Ah. So in both cases the joke's on us!
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back