News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Does anyone else think
« on: June 30, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »
that NBC's telecast of the Women's Open was mediocre at best ?

Two and a half hours and very little golf ?

How would you have enhanced the telecast ?

Bart Bradley

Re: Does anyone else think
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:01:02 PM »
Patrick

Far too much putting and too few shots.  But truthfully there was no drama to telecast.  The result was never in doubt.  Annika is painful as an announcer.

Bart

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 09:07:38 PM »
The event was lacking. I wouldn't blame the telecast. I think it was a combination of a dominating performance, minimal competition, absence of personality and a bunch of two and three putts.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Walker

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 09:09:55 PM »
The event was lacking. .....a bunch of two and three putts.

Am I alone in thinking that sometimes too much undulation makes for boring golf?

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »

Am I alone in thinking that sometimes too much undulation makes for boring golf?

yep ;)

Actually, I would say it promotes a bit more randomness as few if any know a course well enough and are good enough to hit exact portions of greens to get a predictable bounce, but while I may find that frustrating because I don't meet the above criteria ;), I don't find it boring.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:49:07 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Robert_Ball

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 10:39:41 PM »

Jason,
Is there an example you could give where one of today's shots would have been less boring had there been less undulation on or through the green?  Or do you think balls catching a favorable slope should have been in a bunker or hazard which then have made for a more exciting recovery shot?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Complacency in the director's booth has made TV golf almost unwatchable. The fawning over watching Tiger Woods walk off a teeing ground is the best example of it.

They apparently do the editing on the spot and choose to only show made shots versus the way golf used to be televised, with camera shots of golf shots, going quickly, from one part of the course to another. That's more interesting and stimulating to the eye. IMO

Sebonack was a little more confusing, for this viewer with the change in hole numbers on the front.

It was sickening to hear Jimmy Roberts and Kelly T. fawn over the cost of the project.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »
Jason,

Assuming you are being serious, can you explain why "too much undulation" makes for boring golf?
Tim Weiman

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »
that NBC's telecast of the Women's Open was mediocre at best ?

Two and a half hours and very little golf ?

How would you have enhanced the telecast ?

It was much better than NBC's production of the Formula 1 British Grand Prix, on tape delay. They started the program with a sports update showing the results of the race 40 minutes before they aired the green flag.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 11:50:50 PM »
"Assuming you are being serious, can you explain why "too much undulation" makes for boring golf?"

Tim W. -

Without wishing to speaking for Jason, greens with a lot of undulation make it -

1) hard to get the ball close to the pin when hitting on to the green
2) hard to sink putts of any sizable length

Greens with significant undulations may make a golf course interesting, challenging and even fun to play. But, sitting on my couch and watching tournament golf on TV, seeing the best players in the world reduced to defensive two-putting from 20 to 30 feet on just about every hole can become a snooze-fest rather quickly.

DT

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 11:52:58 PM »
Adam,

I think you're right, there's a disconnect from the golfers playing a hole, to quick shots of holed putts or an occassions shot that nearly holes out

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:26:39 AM »
David,

You have confirmed my long held belief that professional golf should be banned from television.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back